Another tameshigiri video

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Philadelphia Yagyu Shinkage Ryu group had a day of tameshigiri (test cutting) last Saturday. I had my camcorder in hand, and videotaped most of the day.

Here is a short clip of me in action. Right-click the link to upload; it is in mpeg format and is 10.8 MB. My form isn't the greatest, but I'm working on it!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your form isn't that far off, you're making good cuts and without proper form that's not gonna happen. I really wish we had an iado instructor here in roanoke, virginia. Thanks for posting the vid and keep on keeping on with that blade work. I hope to see more of it.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must say nothing is sweeter than a lady with a sword...

By the way, has anyone else seen the DVD, "Budo Masters" with a bunch of the old Okinawan and Japanese martial artists...there's a clip on there of an Iaido practitioner cutting a concrete block in half with a katana...pretty cool...

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good cuts! The only flaw I can percieve is that you need a bit more control after the swing. Your blade kinda flails a bit like a baseball bat.

But if I'm wrong please correct me. I've never been taught traditional Japanese swordsmanship before.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Remind me to stay on your good side :) The Katana is on my short list of weapons I would someday like to gain some proficiency.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was really neat!

One question.. (..understand I know nothing of the art...)

At the begining, the material seemed to be standing on its own, was the point of the cuts to leave the uncut portion still on the stand? I saw one cut when this happend, and you did the fist pump, hence the question...

Then later, the material seemed to be fastened better.

Just curious...thanks

T

twayman

Swordlady said:
The Philadelphia Yagyu Shinkage Ryu group had a day of tameshigiri (test cutting) last Saturday. I had my camcorder in hand, and videotaped most of the day.

Here is a short clip of me in action. Right-click the link to upload; it is in mpeg format and is 10.8 MB. My form isn't the greatest, but I'm working on it!
Cuts look fine... I agree the finishing of the swing needs a little more control, that just comes with time.

One question... What blade are you using? Looks like a Paul Chen PK?? Just wondering...

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
Good cuts! The only flaw I can percieve is that you need a bit more control after the swing. Your blade kinda flails a bit like a baseball bat.

But if I'm wrong please correct me. I've never been taught traditional Japanese swordsmanship before.

No, you're right about my control. I felt the sword pulling me away, especially after the horizontal cuts. Then again, the ryu I study really doesn't use horizontal cuts in most of the kata.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
That was really neat!

One question.. (..understand I know nothing of the art...)

At the begining, the material seemed to be standing on its own, was the point of the cuts to leave the uncut portion still on the stand? I saw one cut when this happend, and you did the fist pump, hence the question...

Then later, the material seemed to be fastened better.

Just curious...thanks

My sensei prefers placing the mat freestanding on the stand. Makes cutting a little more challenging, since a bad cut would simply knock the mat off the stand. It's even harder to leave the rest of the mat sitting on the stand after the cut, hence my little fist pump. ;) Oh yeah, multiple cuts on a freestanding mat are pretty difficult.

One of the guys also brought a pegged stand. I only used it for multiple cuts.

BTW...I was using a borrowed Last Legend Dragon (a discontinued model).

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Looks good to me! What is that you are cutting? Is that bamboo, or??

No, we were cutting tatami mats. They're the traditional cutting medium in the Japanese sword arts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You really have a smooth cut, the after effects of the sword need a little more work but a very nice clip endeed.
Terry

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
No, we were cutting tatami mats. They're the traditional cutting medium in the Japanese sword arts.

Well, other than dead bodies...

Latest Discussions