Another MT Play Date

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the rules in that art but no it usually yudansha and above that wear the Hakama ...(mind you in iaido and kendo and the sword arts the Hakama is kinda manditory )
Within the NGAA, that's the rule. Most groups outside the NGAA (a scattering of schools), most don't wear them at all. I actually encourage them earlier, for the challenge wearing them presents in training.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was some wrist pain involved but generally just directional to help explain the technique. I think I physically remember many of the movements. The outside knife hand block to a knife stab with the over hand wrist grab as you sink into your footwork t-stepping back (there was a name for the footwork). I found the actual control of the hand with thumbs behind knuckles and holding the palm like an xbox controller to be really useful.

The footwork was interesting too and I got a good lesson on staying upright as you sink to execute the technique. The slashing defense using an elbow rotation to continue the momentum of the slash then moving into the arm bar from there was also a good lesson in levers.

But names have mostly escaped me (should have brought my notebook to class).
The names are less important than the principles - those are what give you cool new stuff to suck at and work on. Give them new names if you need, when sharing them. Call the footwork Sue.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that covers it all. Was interesting to see your take on our knife defense too. That you called it "straight-line" stood out to me.
Most of our movement is built around a principle of circles (usually stated as "point and circle"). That's been drilled into my head so long that I really notice when movement cuts across the circle. We use tangents (conceptually) a lot, and I've been working to include more secants, which your movement tends toward.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew some version of two of the falls but would like to learn the backward fall. I think that has especially good utility. Is there a name for that?
It's a complicated name derived from Dutch: "back fall". :p

I'll see if I can find a decent video introduction to it. John Carter down in SC might have one.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back breakfall? rear ukemi?

if you want to go look on you tube there are some vids on how to take Ukemi and back rolls and breakfalls
This particular one I haven't seen in other arts. It's similar in finishing position to the back fall I learned in Judo, but protecting the lower back as it comes over, instead of for a backwards fall. It starts from a tumble (hands on mat, head between hands, butt goes over head), and the shoulders then feet come to the mat, keeping the entire back off the ground.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Though I'll reserve the best for those who buy my "insiders' secrets" DVD.

Oh jeez no lol.................mind you i ya wear the little black dress and the hose .............................ok that a different genre lol lol lol

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Though I'll reserve the best for those who buy my "insiders' secrets" DVD.
No secrets, open book. Attaching principles. Added a few smaller principles that help teach subsequent principles and gave the list a semblance of order. Based on the following principles from my:
Sigung (Sifu's Sifu) Philip Holder:
Wing Chun Info | Masters-Center BodySmart Wellness Hypnotherapy Philip Holder PhD Wing Chun Certification Marie Kimelheim MD Psychiatry Medical Hypnotherapy Certification Medical,

my Sifu John Wahnish:
Wing Chun Kung Fu Concepts and Prinicples,

and my Sifu's Sihing (older Kung Fu bro):
Wing Chun Hall - Wing Cheun

I see the minor additions and reorganizing as an administrative task more than anything else.

~ Alan

Attachments

• WC - Study Guide.xlsx - Principles.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 244

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No secrets, open book. Attaching principles. Added a few smaller principles that help teach subsequent principles and gave the list a semblance of order. Based on the following principles from my:
Wing Chun Info | Masters-Center BodySmart Wellness Hypnotherapy Philip Holder PhD Wing Chun Certification Marie Kimelheim MD Psychiatry Medical Hypnotherapy Certification Medical,

my Sifu John Wahnish:

I see the minor additions and reorganizing as an administrative task more than anything else.

~ Alan

Also happy to answer any questions if there are curiosities. I'd love to learn more with respect to theory if there are good resources.

Either way, I'm very grateful for the introduction to this group and your treasure trove of knowledge. Looking forward to more exchanges.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

my Sifu John Wahnish:

~ Alan
Shhh!!! You're ruining my DVD sales!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. It was a lot of fun hanging out and getting a introductory feel for how your art is practiced. Great experiencing and you really got my wrist tingling on that knife hand block that time. Here's hoping we're able to make that trip a more regular occurrence and that we get to meet again. I was impressed with the

So we covered a few variants of Kotogaeshi, right? Would love for you to share a recap of what we covered here.

P.S. I don't care what the other students in the class whispered to me, I think the skirt is bad-***.
Men in skirts are HAWT!

Latest Discussions