Another MT Play Date

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post is a bit overdue. I blame it on a client project that has me scrambling to put together a trip to India in 3 weeks. That has almost nothing to do with this post being late, but I'm blaming it, anyway.

Last week I had a chance to catch up with @lansao, while he was in my area. We had about two hours to just knock around a bit together in a space I rented. Somehow, we got to exchanging ideas and never actually got around to sparring. (Next time!!)

Then we took the 45-ish minute trip to the dojo where I did most of my training in my primary art. It's always a bit like going home when I go there, and it was fun to bring along a buddy. I got clearance from my old instructor and from the guy teaching the class (who was once more or less a student of mine). We attended two classes - about 2 hours, since we had to cut out a bit early. Alan got to experience a bit of how Nihon Goshin Aikido is taught, and got to see me in my skirt. Turns out that chunner has decent falls - who knew??

We also had plenty of time to run our mouths, swap lies, and obfuscate secret information from each other on the drive there and back. Much fun was had by all! I appreciate @lansao's wife lending him to me for the afternoon and evening.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This post is a bit overdue. I blame it on a client project that has me scrambling to put together a trip to India in 3 weeks. That has almost nothing to do with this post being late, but I'm blaming it, anyway.

Last week I had a chance to catch up with @lansao, while he was in my area. We had about two hours to just knock around a bit together in a space I rented. Somehow, we got to exchanging ideas and never actually got around to sparring. (Next time!!)

Then we took the 45-ish minute trip to the dojo where I did most of my training in my primary art. It's always a bit like going home when I go there, and it was fun to bring along a buddy. I got clearance from my old instructor and from the guy teaching the class (who was once more or less a student of mine). We attended two classes - about 2 hours, since we had to cut out a bit early. Alan got to experience a bit of how Nihon Goshin Aikido is taught, and got to see me in my skirt. Turns out that chunner has decent falls - who knew??

We also had plenty of time to run our mouths, swap lies, and obfuscate secret information from each other on the drive there and back. Much fun was had by all! I appreciate @lansao's wife lending him to me for the afternoon and evening.

Thanks for the write-up. It was a lot of fun hanging out and getting a introductory feel for how your art is practiced. Great experiencing and you really got my wrist tingling on that knife hand block that time. Here's hoping we're able to make that trip a more regular occurrence and that we get to meet again. I was impressed with the

So we covered a few variants of Kotogaeshi, right? Would love for you to share a recap of what we covered here.

P.S. I don't care what the other students in the class whispered to me, I think the skirt is bad-***.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
skirt is bad-***.

Lol his skirt lol ................well before someone else gets funny ideas ...I am presuming it was a Hakama lol .........if not ummmmm I am getting a bit worried lol

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol his skirt lol ................well before someone else gets funny ideas ...I am presuming it was a Hakama lol .........if not ummmmm I am getting a bit worried lol
Yes, that was it. I feel like they don't just hand those out there. In all seriousness, a really great class taught by two excellent instructors. I'll be sharing the experience with my kung fu brothers next week.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. It was a lot of fun hanging out and getting a introductory feel for how your art is practiced. Great experiencing and you really got my wrist tingling on that knife hand block that time. Here's hoping we're able to make that trip a more regular occurrence and that we get to meet again. I was impressed with the

So we covered a few variants of Kotogaeshi, right? Would love for you to share a recap of what we covered here.
Hmm, you want me to remember some of that, do you? I'll see what I can dredge up. Mind you, I don't remember much of the plot of the two episodes of Father Brown I just got done watching with the Hobbit. I'm pretty sure I'll get things significantly out of order, since I vividly remember something happening both early and late in the session, and also remember it only happening once. Some kind of time-space conundrum in that.

I think we started out with the Reverse Wrist. For those of you who don't know our technique naming, I'm no help to you. The best I can do is tell you it's a kotegaeshi turned the other way (turn the hand behind the wrist, instead of in front of it), then pressure is sent back up the arm from the wrist. We started with the Classical form (what others in NGA call the Classical Technique).

• NOTE: A Classical form is essentially a very short, stylized, mostly static version of the technique. It's used to introduce the technique and allow practice of some basic movements and principles. One thing I mentioned when we were training is that almost every Classical form includes both an entry and a technique, and most of the entries can be applied to other techniques, depending upon the situation. So, if a Classical form is a circular arm drag, finished with an Arm Bar takedown, you're actually practicing two different things in that Classical form.
Okay, back to Reverse Wrist. The Classical form is from a same-side (you call it "parallel") grip, you step off-line to the gripped side and use body movement to bring the arm back across to take structure and set up the lock. We practiced the Classical form a bit, then worked it from a round attack - we used a slashing knife attack. We blended inside, off-line to buy time to block and trap the arm, then pivoted to structure while passing the arm overhead (with the blocking arm framing out to keep the weapon safely clear). Once the structure is done and the arm is brought over, the finish is straightforward.

We then worked with kotegaeshi (Front Wrist Throw). I'm pretty sure I already have something out of sequence, because I recall part of Reverse Wrist coming after this, but I don't suppose that matters. Anyway, you and I worked on on the Classical form a bit. That starts from a cross-hand grip, leads uke into you with a step back, pull in (free hand), and push down (gripped hand and free hand) to take structure and initiate movement. Then a second step reverses your stance to bind uke's wrist (conjunctive locking for the whole arm and into the upper spine) for the throw. This was where you got to show me you could put that fall to use! Then we worked on a round attack into this technique, using a slacking backhand knife attack for this one. The initial body movement is a mirror to what we used with the Reverse Wrist, while the hand movement is pretty close to Classical. The technique finishes with a move back away on the pivot, leading into the throw or a standing strip. With the throw, we also practiced following the motion with a step in to lock the arm for a strip.

Ah! Now I think I've figured out the time-space thing! Before we did any of the other stuff, we'd worked a bit on a rollover Arm Bar (some of you BJJ guys will know this one, though probably not by name). At the end, this looks like you've tucked an umbrella under your arm and are starting to take an odd bow to your partner - except the umbrella is their arm. We practiced this against a roundhouse punch (haymaker style, as I recall) early in class. Then later in class - after the other two techniques - we came back to this as a fall-back from the Reverse Wrist on that round attack with a knife.

I've left out a lot of the preliminary - practicing basic blocks (mostly a conditioning exercise, after a point), falls and rolls, etc. Did I leave anything else out?

P.S. I don't care what the other students in the class whispered to me, I think the skirt is bad-***.
Those bitches be hatin'.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was it. I feel like they don't just hand those out there. In all seriousness, a really great class taught by two excellent instructors. I'll be sharing the experience with my kung fu brothers next week.
Be sure to include my smartass commentary when you're sharing. That's far more important than the actual techniques.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife refers to it as "your little black dress". :D

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I dunno about the rules in that art but no it usually yudansha and above that wear the Hakama ...(mind you in iaido and kendo and the sword arts the Hakama is kinda manditory )

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Be sure to include my smartass commentary when you're sharing. That's far more important than the actual techniques.

Look what we wanna know is when ya applied the wrist locks did ya make him yell lol.................as if not why not as then he'd remember them better ...........and not just the skirt lol

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Look what we wanna know is when ya applied the wrist locks did ya make him yell lol.................as if not why not as then he'd remember them better ...........and not just the skirt lol
There was some wrist pain involved but generally just directional to help explain the technique. I think I physically remember many of the movements. The outside knife hand block to a knife stab with the over hand wrist grab as you sink into your footwork t-stepping back (there was a name for the footwork). I found the actual control of the hand with thumbs behind knuckles and holding the palm like an xbox controller to be really useful.

The footwork was interesting too and I got a good lesson on staying upright as you sink to execute the technique. The slashing defense using an elbow rotation to continue the momentum of the slash then moving into the arm bar from there was also a good lesson in levers.

But names have mostly escaped me (should have brought my notebook to class).

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, you want me to remember some of that, do you? I'll see what I can dredge up. Mind you, I don't remember much of the plot of the two episodes of Father Brown I just got done watching with the Hobbit. I'm pretty sure I'll get things significantly out of order, since I vividly remember something happening both early and late in the session, and also remember it only happening once. Some kind of time-space conundrum in that.

I think we started out with the Reverse Wrist. For those of you who don't know our technique naming, I'm no help to you. The best I can do is tell you it's a kotegaeshi turned the other way (turn the hand behind the wrist, instead of in front of it), then pressure is sent back up the arm from the wrist. We started with the Classical form (what others in NGA call the Classical Technique).

• NOTE: A Classical form is essentially a very short, stylized, mostly static version of the technique. It's used to introduce the technique and allow practice of some basic movements and principles. One thing I mentioned when we were training is that almost every Classical form includes both an entry and a technique, and most of the entries can be applied to other techniques, depending upon the situation. So, if a Classical form is a circular arm drag, finished with an Arm Bar takedown, you're actually practicing two different things in that Classical form.
Okay, back to Reverse Wrist. The Classical form is from a same-side (you call it "parallel") grip, you step off-line to the gripped side and use body movement to bring the arm back across to take structure and set up the lock. We practiced the Classical form a bit, then worked it from a round attack - we used a slashing knife attack. We blended inside, off-line to buy time to block and trap the arm, then pivoted to structure while passing the arm overhead (with the blocking arm framing out to keep the weapon safely clear). Once the structure is done and the arm is brought over, the finish is straightforward.

We then worked with kotegaeshi (Front Wrist Throw). I'm pretty sure I already have something out of sequence, because I recall part of Reverse Wrist coming after this, but I don't suppose that matters. Anyway, you and I worked on on the Classical form a bit. That starts from a cross-hand grip, leads uke into you with a step back, pull in (free hand), and push down (gripped hand and free hand) to take structure and initiate movement. Then a second step reverses your stance to bind uke's wrist (conjunctive locking for the whole arm and into the upper spine) for the throw. This was where you got to show me you could put that fall to use! Then we worked on a round attack into this technique, using a slacking backhand knife attack for this one. The initial body movement is a mirror to what we used with the Reverse Wrist, while the hand movement is pretty close to Classical. The technique finishes with a move back away on the pivot, leading into the throw or a standing strip. With the throw, we also practiced following the motion with a step in to lock the arm for a strip.

Ah! Now I think I've figured out the time-space thing! Before we did any of the other stuff, we'd worked a bit on a rollover Arm Bar (some of you BJJ guys will know this one, though probably not by name). At the end, this looks like you've tucked an umbrella under your arm and are starting to take an odd bow to your partner - except the umbrella is their arm. We practiced this against a roundhouse punch (haymaker style, as I recall) early in class. Then later in class - after the other two techniques - we came back to this as a fall-back from the Reverse Wrist on that round attack with a knife.

I've left out a lot of the preliminary - practicing basic blocks (mostly a conditioning exercise, after a point), falls and rolls, etc. Did I leave anything else out?

Those bitches be hatin'.
I think that covers it all. Was interesting to see your take on our knife defense too. That you called it "straight-line" stood out to me.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There was some wrist pain involved but generally just directional to help explain the technique. I think I physically remember many of the movements. The outside knife hand block to a knife stab with the over hand wrist grab as you sink into your footwork t-stepping back (there was a name for the footwork). I found the actual control of the hand with thumbs behind knuckles and holding the palm like an xbox controller to be really useful.

The footwork was interesting too and I got a good lesson on staying upright as you sink to execute the technique. The slashing defense using an elbow rotation to continue the momentum of the slash then moving into the arm bar from there was also a good lesson in levers.

But names have mostly escaped me (should have brought my notebook to class).

sorry i was joking about the yelling ...it was a thing my first teacher said to me if it hurts you will remember it better ....sorry it was just my poor sense of humour

I dunno what NGA calls footwork .....to me it Ashi sabaki and the upright bit I do follow that and I know exactly why he was doing that ...it souns like you had a good experience and saw what an Aikido based art can do

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I knew some version of two of the falls but would like to learn the backward fall. I think that has especially good utility. Is there a name for that?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I knew some version of two of the falls but would like to learn the backward fall. I think that has especially good utility. Is there a name for that?

Back breakfall? rear ukemi?

if you want to go look on you tube there are some vids on how to take Ukemi and back rolls and breakfalls

Latest Discussions