Another black eye for Taekwondo

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I make an effort to take as many shots to the head as possible. Or at least I did when i was younger.

why?

cuz in the street, thats where they are gonna punch, and i want to be able to take a good shot and not go down.

yes, you can train yourself to resist the knockout reflex

However, you CAN"T train yourself to avoid brain damage. Just because you don't get knocked out doesn't mean your brain sloching about in your skull is a good thing. As a former employee at a head trauma rehab center I can say that avoiding damage to ones brain is a good thing...deliberately taking excessive headshots as training is a questionable practice at best.

Peace,
Erik

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
However, you CAN"T train yourself to avoid brain damage. Just because you don't get knocked out doesn't mean your brain sloching about in your skull is a good thing. As a former employee at a head trauma rehab center I can say that avoiding damage to ones brain is a good thing...deliberately taking excessive headshots as training is a questionable practice at best.

Peace,
Erik

It sure does explain a lot of the points of views that I often read here and else where though ;)

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ask Muhammed Ali how he feels about taking shots to the head. That's partly why he is in the condition he is in today.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ask Muhammed Ali how he feels about taking shots to the head. That's partly why he is in the condition he is in today.

Not necessarily. There is more and more evidence that Parkinson's is genetic. Not saying that it is not the reason for his onset of Parkinson's, but to my knowledge it has never been proven that his line of work was even partially the cause. I don't recall Michael J Fox in many boxing matches. Nor Pope John Paul for that matter.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training to avoid knockouts is something that boxers do. Yes, there are ways to train to resist a knockout. I don't know of many TKD schools that focus on them, though.

Daniel

try ranking up in a TKD lineage in texas populated by people from the old pKA

you will learn to resist the knockout reflex

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing we use on average only 10% of our brains. I guess the exact percentage varies.

As I recall the jury is still out on how continuous trauma effects the brain. And as it has a accumulative effect as well....

But that's fine if you consider it proper technique, I prefer to not put myself into the situation where it could become a matter of life and death: I avoid street fighting, as generations before me did. Worked well.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There is more and more evidence that Parkinson's is genetic. Not saying that it is not the reason for his onset of Parkinson's, but to my knowledge it has never been proven that his line of work was even partially the cause. I don't recall Michael J Fox in many boxing matches. Nor Pope John Paul for that matter.

Actually, Ali has Parkinson's syndrome, which is not from the same origin as the disease itself. The syndrome does come from the type of repeated blows to the head that can come from boxing. Sadly, many boxers get it. I've spent a great deal of time with older boxers who have slowed mental faculties due to boxing way too long. Not necessarily Parkinson's syndrome, but damage non-the-less.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing we use on average only 10% of our brains. I guess the exact percentage varies.

As I recall the jury is still out on how continuous trauma effects the brain. And as it has a accumulative effect as well....

But that's fine if you consider it proper technique, I prefer to not put myself into the situation where it could become a matter of life and death: I avoid street fighting, as generations before me did. Worked well.

Actually, current research is pretty conclusive that repeated micro-trauam to the brain can have a cumulative effect on mental functioning.

Peace,
Erik

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How much of an effect has this incident had on Tae Kwon Do? Are parents pulling their kids out of TKD class? Does this spell the end of the Olympic sport? Just curious how far the repercussions go.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on the number of people participating at the higher level of the sport, in particular the international level.

As for me, it has not changed me or my family at all. We still go to TKD every week and will continue to do so for as long as we enjoy it.

The olympics did not damage TKD, it damaged itself and the olympics was simply the messenger.

The olympics may actually have done it some good. For as long as the corrupt judging was only being noticed by the people in the sport they could keep it quiet and present an "honourable" view to the world. Once they opened up the sport to a worldwide audience they could no longer control the message. Their words could not outweigh what was seen and they had no control over the people who saw it. They are either going to clean up their act or shrink back down to a minority sport viewed mainly by those who take part.

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
:uhohh: :xtrmshock :confused: No matter how you look at it, it aint good! :uhohh: :xtrmshock :confused:

-Kevin

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I serously doubt any parent even considered for a moment, pulling their kid out of TKD based on anything that they saw in the olympics.

Regarding whether or not TKD will survive next years vote for it's inclusion in the 2016 games, well I can think of a few countries that will probably vote to keep it around. For many of these countries and others like them, TKD is seen as a decent shot of bringing home an easy medal. If it stays, that will likely be a big part of the reason.

Afghanistan won 1 medal in these games, 1 bronze and their first ever olympic medal. It was due to TKD.
Men’s 58 kg (128 lbs), Bronze- R. Nikpai (Afghanistan)

Brazil won 15 medals in these games, 3 gold, 4 silver and 8 bronze. 1 bronze was due to TKD.
Women’s +67 kg (+148 lbs), Bronze- Natália Falavigna (Brazil)

Canada won 18 medals in these games, 3 gold, 9 silver and 6 bronze. 1 silver was due to TKD.
Women’s 67 kg (148 lbs), Silver- Karine Sergerie (Canada)

China and Chinese Taipei won 100 medals in these games, 51 gold, 21 silver and 28 bronze. 1 gold and 2 bronze were due to TKD.
Men’s 80 kg (176 lbs), Bronze- Zhu Guo (China)
Women’s 49 kg (108 lbs), Gold- J. Wu (China)
Men’s 58 kg (128 lbs), Bronze- C. Yen (Chinese Taipei)

Croatia won 4 medals in these games, 2 silver and 2 bronze. Both bronze were due to TKD.
Women’s 67 kg (148 lbs), Bronze- Sandra Šarić (Croatia)
Women’s 57 kg (125 lbs), Bronze- Martina Zubcic (Croatia)

Cuba won 24 medals in these games, 2 gold, 11 silver and 11 bronze. 1 bronze was due to TKD.
Women’s 49 kg (108 lbs), Bronze- D. Montejo (Cuba)

Dominican Republic won 2 medals in these games, 1 gold and 1 silver. The silver was due to TKD.
Men’s 58 kg (128 lbs), Silver- Y. Mercedes (Dominican Republic)

France won 40 medals in these games, 7 gold, 16 silver and 17 bronze. 1 bronze was due to TKD.
Women’s 67 kg (148 lbs), Bronze- Gwladys Épangue (France)

Great Britian won 47 medals in these games, 19 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze. 1 bronze was due to TKD.
Women’s +67 kg (+148 lbs), Bronze- Sarah Stevenson (Great Britian)

Greece won 4 medals in these games, 2 silver and 2 bronze. 1 silver due to TKD.
Men’s +80 kg (+176 lbs), Silver- Alexandros Nikolaidis (Greece)

Iran won 2 medals in these games, 1 gold and 1 bronze. The gold was due to TKD.
Men’s 80 kg (176 lbs), Gold- Hadi Saei (Iran)

Italy won 28 medals in these games, 8 gold, 10 silver and 10 bronze. 1 silver was due to TKD.
Men’s 80 kg (176 lbs), Silver- Mauro Sarmiento (Italy)

Mexico won 3 medals in these games, 2 gold and 1 bronze. Both of the gold were due to TKD.
Women’s +67 kg (+148 lbs), Gold- Maria Espinoza (Mexico)
Men’s 58 kg (128 lbs), Gold- G. Perez (Mexico)

Nigeria won 4 medals in these games, 1 silver and 3 bronze. 2 bronze were due to TKD.
Men’s +80 kg (+176 lbs), Bronze- Chika Chukwumerije (Nigeria)
Men’s +80 kg (+176 lbs), Bronze- Arman Chilmanov (Nigeria)

Norway won 10 medals in these games, 3 gold, 5 silver and 2 bronze. 1 silver was due to TKD.
Women’s +67 kg (+148 lbs), Silver- Nina Solheim (Norway)

South Korea won 31 medals in these games, 13 gold, 10 silver and 8 bronze. 4 of those 13 gold were due to TKD.
Men’s +80 kg (+176 lbs), Gold- Cha Dong-Min (South Korea)
Women’s 67 kg (148 lbs), Gold- Hwang Kyung-Seon (South Korea)
Men’s 68 kg (128 lbs), Gold- Son, Tae-jin (South Korea)
Women’s 57 kg (125 lbs), Gold- Lim Su-jeong (South. Korea)

Taiwan won 4 medals in these games, 4 bronze. 1 bronze was due to TKD.
Men’s 68 kg (128 lbs), Bronze- Sung, Yu-Chi (Taiwan)

Thailand won 4 medals in these games, 2 gold and 2 silver. 1 silver was due to TKD.
Women’s 49 kg (108 lbs), Silver- B. PuedPong (Thailand)

Turkey won 8 medals in these games, 1 gold, 4 silver and 3 bronze. 2 bronze were due to TKD.
Men’s 68 kg (128 lbs), Bronze- Servet, Tezegul (Turkey)
Women’s 57 kg (125 lbs), Silver- Azize Tanrikulu (Turkey)

Vietnam won 1 medal in these games, 1 bronze. It was due to TKD.
Women’s 49 kg (108 lbs), Bronze- D. Contreras Rivero (Vietnam)

United States won 110 medals in these games, 36 gold 38 silver and 36 bronze. 1 silver and 2 bronze were due to TKD.
Women’s 57 kg (125 lbs), Bronze- Diana Lopez (USA)
Men’s 68 kg (128 lbs), Silver- Mark Lopez (USA)
Men’s 80 kg (176 lbs), Bronze- Steven Lopez (USA)

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I serously doubt any parent even considered for a moment, pulling their kid out of TKD based on anything that they saw in the olympics.

Regarding whether or not TKD will survive next years vote for it's inclusion in the 2016 games, well I can think of a few countries that will probably vote to keep it around. For many of these countries and others like them, TKD is seen as a decent shot of bringing home an easy medal. If it stays, that will likely be a big part of the reason.

I agree with you mango ..... but it does look bad.
How have you been doing my friend?

-Kevin

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think you Taekwondo people should be worried so much about it . People are not stupid they can understand that it was just one idiot out of millions of practitioners .

I reckon you people should be proud of how well known your art is to the general public , i studied Wing Chun for 10 years and always used to get non martial art friends saying ," so mate how is your Taekwondo going "? I would reply not very well because i do Kung Fu not Taekwondo.

You try too educate them and you think they get it, and then the next time you see them you hear " so mate how's your Taekwondo going" . I think a lot of arts would kill to have the public profile that Taekwondo has.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I point out that our bronze medalists could well have been gold or silver if it hadn't been for the suspect judging? It wasn't the only case either, one of the men had the same problem. It's put many people off TKD here for sure. they understand the Cuban 'incident' was bad temper, bad sportsmanship whatever by one person but biased judging is something else.

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you Taekwondo people should be worried so much about it . People are not stupid they can understand that it was just one idiot out of millions of practitioners .

I reckon you people should be proud of how well known your art is to the general public , i studied Wing Chun for 10 years and always used to get non martial art friends saying ," so mate how is your Taekwondo going "? I would reply not very well because i do Kung Fu not Taekwondo.

You try too educate them and you think they get it, and then the next time you see them you hear " so mate how's your Taekwondo going" . I think a lot of arts would kill to have the public profile that Taekwondo has.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Really.......
-Kevin

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt that the bad judging will put people off of TKD. There was bad judging in every event that I saw that had any subjective element. Not that many years ago, figure skating suffered a serious judges scandal, but there wasn't any talk that I recall of removing it from the olympics, and I doubt that the scandal put anyone off in any substantial numbers.

Daniel

Latest Discussions