Another black eye for Taekwondo

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
in my class last night we talked about 3 things

1)how retarded olympic style sparring was
2)how weak that fighters kick was, a FREE SHOT, and all he managed to do was split the guys lip
3)how completely childish it is to get upset over bad judging

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in my class last night we talked about 3 things

1)how retarded olympic style sparring was
2)how weak that fighters kick was, a FREE SHOT, and all he managed to do was split the guys lip
3)how completely childish it is to get upset over bad judging

I agree completely with no. 1 and 3...but...well, it wasn't a Chuck Norris roundhouse, which would have killed him instantly (and perhaps all of his children and grandchildren) I'll give you that. It looked to me like a slapping hook kick with the ball of his foot, not even one for power with the heel. He obviously wasn't trying to kill the ref. I've had to point this out to people (believe it or not) that there are plenty of TKD kicks that could have taken the ref's head clean off had that been the fighter's aim. I've actually seen people on forums say "A Muay Thai fighter would have killed him, not given him a stich in a bloody lip!" I mean seriously, WTF? The kick was completly unjustified but it could have been MUCH WORSE. This is a world champ, not for nothing. A dope par excellance, but a man to be feared, certainly. He gave him the least painful kick he could deliver - even a front sbnap to the groin would have put that ref in the hospital.

As much as I dislike that this happened, I dislike equally that people think this is as dangerous as TKD gets.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jim, i think you are giving the cuban too much benefit of the doubt.

based on how be faught before he lost his friggin mind, I think thats the best shot he had.

and I have never, NEVER seen an olympic style fighter I would be afraid to go with.

Even herb Perez back in his day hit like a teenager. Real fast, and real LIGHT

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been victim of bad judging, (I think we all have been). It makes me very angry, specially when I know I'm winning.

But, attacking a ref or judge, even if you're right, is a bad idea.

Is better to show respect and humility, bow to the judges then to the public, and take your leave. I bet you will receive an applause.

Of one thing I am sure: If you can't win the right way, there's no friggin way to win the wrong way (cheating, kicking low, or insulting judges). Even if you manage to take a medal, it isn't really yours.

I'd lose a Gold medal in exchange for my honor anytime. For me, is better to walk away with you pride untouched and lose with honor.

I'd better die than make an idiot of myself behaving that way in front of so many millions of people... live!

About the kick, it seemed like the guy's best shot. Even my grandma can stand that kick. It makes no sense to humiliate yourself that way, and also being laughed at by the entire martial world for kicking like a girl. Damn.

Regards.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not that I'm a great fan of Olympic sparring, but I would not want to fight some of those guys. There are weak fighters, but there are plenty of fighters who are fast and strong-it is full contact after all. Don't underestimate it. There's a reason they wear armor and headgear.
Anyone who thinks they could climb into a ring with any of those guys, go right ahead.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a great deal of repsect for those gusy...and I plan to climb into the ring at the Senior national level next summer. Put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

I've met a few of the top tear gusy and trained with some of them. I think they know the difference between Olympic sport and SD training...many of them can make the transition. due to their athleticism, they are dangerous in either mode of fighting.

peace,
Erik

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm a great fan of Olympic sparring, but I would not want to fight some of those guys. There are weak fighters, but there are plenty of fighters who are fast and strong-it is full contact after all. Don't underestimate it. There's a reason they wear armor and headgear.
Anyone who thinks they could climb into a ring with any of those guys, go right ahead.

So, why weren't the strong, fast fighters in the Olympics then?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, i mean, sure there are a lot of "TKD Knockouts" clips on you tube.

Know why?

they cant take a shot to the head, since they dont allow punches to the head.

The last olympic tkd fighter that i thought would be a handful were Arlene Limas and Jimmy, both from 88

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Know why?

The last olympic tkd fighter that i thought would be a handful were Arlene Limas and Jimmy, both from 88
Yes, but they allow kicks. I'd rather be punched than kicked in the head, though in truth I'd prefer neither.:) Of course thats why I don't hold my hands at my waist when I spar (I find that a ridiculous practice, even from an athletic standpoint and refuse to do so).

I would disagree that a competitor at that level can't take a head shot. Plus, I'm sure that there are a lot of boxing KOs on youtube (I surmise), but that doesn't mean that boxers in general can't take a head shot.

I don't have the answer as to why more of the best aren't in the olympics. Perhaps in 1988, the best were still focused on being martial artists and not on the equivalent of kick-fencing? Lets face it: if you train to fight for real, then your kicks and punches are likely to pack more power.

Daniel

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yea, that's kind of what I'm wondering ...

Also I'm wondering about this: weren't there EIGHT divisions in TKD at the Olympic?

How come, with all the thousands of TKD practitioners, we only sent FOUR?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, that's kind of what I'm wondering ...

Also I'm wondering about this: weren't there EIGHT divisions in TKD at the Olympic?

How come, with all the thousands of TKD practitioners, we only sent FOUR?

Olympics use combined weight divisions. (Fin/Fly, Bantam/Feather, Light/Welter & Middle/Heavy)

And the max any country can send is 4. 2 Male and 2 Female. I believe the cap is 128 total TKD competitors.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been victim of bad judging, (I think we all have been). It makes me very angry, specially when I know I'm winning.

But, attacking a ref or judge, even if you're right, is a bad idea.

Is better to show respect and humility, bow to the judges then to the public, and take your leave. I bet you will receive an applause.

Of one thing I am sure: If you can't win the right way, there's no friggin way to win the wrong way (cheating, kicking low, or insulting judges). Even if you manage to take a medal, it isn't really yours.

I'd lose a Gold medal in exchange for my honor anytime. For me, is better to walk away with you pride untouched and lose with honor.

I'd better die than make an idiot of myself behaving that way in front of so many millions of people... live!

About the kick, it seemed like the guy's best shot. Even my grandma can stand that kick. It makes no sense to humiliate yourself that way, and also being laughed at by the entire martial world for kicking like a girl. Damn.

Regards.

I think you just insulted all the fine female martial artists on this forum...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

They weren't fast? They only need to be strong enough to give the judges the impression they made contact with a legal scoring area.

I would like to second YoungMan's comment that anyone that thinks they can hang with the Olympians to seek them out and give it a try. Make sure you make a video and post the results on youtube (people love that kind of stuff on youtube). If it's that easy, maybe we'll see you competing in London 2012? ;)

The Olympic 10 meter platform divers made their event look pretty easy too, but I'm sure I wouldn't know which way was up by the time I belly-flopped and pulled out of the pool.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Know why?

UHM, taking a shot to the head is generally speaking not a very wise idea.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I make an effort to take as many shots to the head as possible. Or at least I did when i was younger.

why?

cuz in the street, thats where they are gonna punch, and i want to be able to take a good shot and not go down.

yes, you can train yourself to resist the knockout reflex

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Olympics use combined weight divisions. (Fin/Fly, Bantam/Feather, Light/Welter & Middle/Heavy)

And the max any country can send is 4. 2 Male and 2 Female. I believe the cap is 128 total TKD competitors.

Thanks for clearing that up. I googled it and thought it listed 8 medal categories, but I guess I misunderstood.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I make an effort to take as many shots to the head as possible. Or at least I did when i was younger.

why?

cuz in the street, thats where they are gonna punch, and i want to be able to take a good shot and not go down.

yes, you can train yourself to resist the knockout reflex

I'll take your word for it though to my knowledge there are just a few things that are not reflex...like taking damage for instance....

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I googled it and thought it listed 8 medal categories, but I guess I misunderstood.

Indeed it does equal 8 medal categories

1 Male Fin/Fly
1 Female Fin/Fly
1 Male Ban/Fea
1 Female Ban/Fea
1 Male Lt/Wel
1 Female Lt/Wel
1 Male Mid/Hvy
1 Female Mid/Hvy

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it though to my knowledge there are just a few things that are not reflex...like taking damage for instance....
Training to avoid knockouts is something that boxers do. Yes, there are ways to train to resist a knockout. I don't know of many TKD schools that focus on them, though.

Daniel