Another ATA 5 year old black belt

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by RonMarlow, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

FWIW, not as a comment on the instruction, but on the marketing scheme, this sort of thing pisses me off as a parent. This add-on BS would be enough alone to make sure you never got my business.

2. dancingalone

dancingalone Grandmaster

I'll start a new thread.

3. NSRTKD

NSRTKD Green Belt

bahahaha.....

4. miguksaram

miguksaram Master of Arts

But we see it in everything else. Buy a car. They will charge you extra for add ons...purchase most services and you will pay for an add-on service. Gyms are no different. You can get the basic equipment but if you want to do some of the aerobics classes you will have to pay extra. I don't have a problem with it. I do agree, that I would not give him my business, but that is only because I know that I can get more for less at other places.

5. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Which is why buying a car is something that is almost universally reviled. Would you want to associate with a business on a regular basis that uses the same tactics as a car lot? That's exactly my point.

6. miguksaram

Actually it was always the use car sales that have the stigma. Which (like ATA) is only a small area of the industry. What about gyms? What about cell phones? Pretty much everything has some sort of add-on. Just business as it is.

7. vikings827

vikings827 Yellow Belt

This is quite similar to the grade inflation of our school aged kids. Parents cause both of these premature successes. The good side of this is it builds self confidence. The downside??? Helicoptering parents.

8. vikings827

vikings827 Yellow Belt

You are near a great kukkiwon TKD dojo. It is ABBC, in Lombard IL> My brother goes there, and I visited once. The owner and chief instructor is the BEST.

9. msmitht

msmitht 2nd Black Belt

this is supposed to be about a 5 year old who is a black belt! Not marketing or hating the ata because their techniques lack real power and is not up to par with any other tkd orgs standards. There are pros and cons...blah blah blah. Anyone who thinks a 5 year old should wear a black belt is full of crap. You will never convince me or any real martial artist otherwise. I laugh at those who disagree and have pity for your students

10. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

This is what Junior Black Belts are for.

Give them the JBB to signify their Basic Knowledge of Techniques.
    And hopefully by the time theyre 18, theyll be able to properly Apply those Techniques.

11. Master Dan

Master Dan Master Black Belt

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Franklly I wish they would go back to 18 years old minimum but no matter what the excuse is its still all about the money and all the Pooms that convert after 15 so they are 3rd 4th dan rediculous Martial is half the meaning in Martial art which means military focused on some level would we call a Marine a Marine at 5 years old or 15? in most cases not! I commend the child and parents for training and healthy life style but the point in the Art that effort is its own reward has been totally lost and not traded for imaginary Gravatoss and pandering but this is what happens when you take a traditional native artform that was never meant to be for profit and change it to suite a Capitolist theme. The Asians are slowly dealing with the effects of this in the home land due to introducing the same value system to keep thier own kids interested and training. There is a need and place for youth and famly trianing but it should not be put on the same level as adult Martial training.

12. miguksaram

Who is near?

13. j-squared

j-squared White Belt

Mom's check cleared?

14. Twin Fist

Twin Fist Grandmaster

one guy teaching cheese makes us all look cheesy by association

it isnt fair, but it is what it is.

15. ETinCYQX

ETinCYQX Master Black Belt

Yeah but what can I do about it? Answer's simple. Get back on the mat and teach quality, high standard Taekwondo.

16. Twin Fist

Twin Fist Grandmaster

i would have no problem having a sit down conversation with the instructor in charge of the 2 yr old bb and ask him exactly what the **** he was thinking?

17. puunui

puunui Senior Master

There was never any 18 year old minimum age requirement. USTU Past President LEE Moo Yong was nine years old when he was promoted to Moo Duk Kwan 1st Dan by GM HWANG Kee in 1952. He seems to have turned out ok.

18. Gemini

Gemini Senior Master

• Martial Talk Alumni
    At first glance, such articles make for easy targets. I thought this entire post provides a pov of a bigger picture. I just had to add a little.
    Unfortunately, all to rare. The effort alone makes me applaud the effort.

Fair enough, but I've never subscribed to this way of thinking. If you can beat me, do I surrender my belt? This has never been, not ever should be, a benchmark for receiving a Black belt. We can't all be Bruce Lee, but we can be a better "us". Forget the article, I'd like to see what the kid can do. I know so many teen and adult black belts with poor technique it makes me cringe. Why do we put so much emphasis on age alone? Quality of technique is not defined by age.

This in my mind is the bottom. If you spend a lifetime studying, a black belt is only one of many stepping stones over a very long road. Why get so hung up about it. I say keep going kid and don't let anyone dissuade you. Maybe this whole thing is so much hype. We do have our share of BS. I really can't tell from just an article.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    So here we are again arguing about the color of the cloth around a child's waist and whether or not the little tyke deserves Reversi ranking.

Given that the belt is for competition bracketing and the little tyke will only be matched up against other little tykes in his age group who have the same amount of time in as he does, and only within the ATA, I see no problem with it.

It used to bother me a lot, and if you dig through here, you can find some of my posts on the subject.

Then I stopped taking myself so seriously and got off of my high horse. It's a kids program. The kid is doing something constructive and isn't in front of the television. Mom and dad are involved and the instructor seems to genuinely care about her students. Seems like a healthy activity to me.

20. Twin Fist

Twin Fist Grandmaster

and at that moment, the future of TKD being a laughing stock was set in stone............................