Animal Styles

Y

yilisifu

When tigers kill their prey, they usually hit on it's "blind side." They aim to strike the neck with one of their forepaws and break it's neck in one blow, or take it down where they can finish it with a couple more powerful blows...tigers don't attack "head-on." They keep a springy strength in their bodies just before they move and they hit the blind side.

Once is usually enough.

T

theneuhauser

its been awhile since i was on the boards here, hi everyone! since my departure, ive adopted a cat (sort of a christmas gift for the wife). the damn thing will not leave me alone! it attacks me every chance it gets, and its starting to really aggravate me. and its sneaky, like tiger style kung fu.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our cat attacks me all the time--seems nonsensical to me but she obviously has a different opinion.

D

dogma173

You probably know how the mantis style was developed, and the other styles like the dragon and tiger, were not developed differently. Since these styles are old, we are not sure how exactly how it happend but they were named these names because they resembled the way the animal fights. (Like the " tiger claw")

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my school is a philippine martial arts school, but i also "know kung fu". my philippine kuntaw does have some "animal" techniques, but not like kung fu, its the animal strategy.

the kung fu style i do is called jow gar. we are a tiger base five animals system. but because my sifu was also trained by other sifu, we have three eagle claw forms, two praying mantis forms (actually three, but i dont remember one of them) and tiger/dragon, from bak mei.

i have a list of some of the forms i teach at my website, you have to go to "dean chin's jow ga" to get the list.

in my kung fu class, we practice mostly the tiger claw for striking and eagle claw for joint lock. in kuntaw, we use a lot of hooking, which is nothing to do with animal style, but one of my tung lung friends says it looks like his style of praying mantis.

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by theneuhauser
heres a quote from the website:

mantisuk

im going to order an entire eggsack and try to hatch them, then they will devour eachother until only the strongest one survives!!!!!!!

Did that sound sick to anyone else.........:rolleyes:

And I was searching on the net and found all these Random Animal styles like 1000 Bees and 10 Ants or something.....anyone have any info on these ones? I thought it might be kinda hard to watch 100 Bees and imitate them
:shrug:

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When tigers kill their prey, they usually hit on it's "blind side." They aim to strike the neck with one of their forepaws and break it's neck in one blow, or take it down where they can finish it with a couple more powerful blows...tigers don't attack "head-on." They keep a springy strength in their bodies just before they move and they hit the blind side.

Once is usually enough.
too many generalizations.

Hung-Ga,(Siu Lum Hung Kuen) which although is a five animal style,also considered to be completely intact from Siu-Lum, has strong focus on Tiger. Jee Siem Sum-Si, the abbott who taught Hung Hei-Guen specialized in Tiger techniques. Wong Fei-Hung was heavily influeced by the Black Tiger Hak Fu Moon style of Su Hak-Fu. There are many attacks in Tiger that go head on-"right down Broadway", as well as angled to the blind side.
Seung Gung Fook Fu (Double Bows Subduing Tiger) is a head-on crash-Bik Kiu, which breaks the opponent's structure. Fierce Tiger Overpowers the Wolf is a head-on attack, as is Hungry Tiger Captures the Lamb. Corenered Fierce Tiger Strikes Back, and Tiger Pawing Sand are also straight line attacks. Fierce Tiger out of the Cave slips right through the attacker's defenses, right up the middle-but can also be played at an angle to the blindside.
The Tiger techniques in Siu-Lum have strong down yur throat characteristics, while the Leopard, a smaller agile cat, is known for its sneaky blind side attacks.

many of the techniques came from observation of these animals-especially while hunting them. That is how you can see up close, how a Tiger or a Leopard attacks and defends. In China, when hunting Tigers and Leopards, they would try to surround and corner the beast. The tiger would lunge at one man, while the leopard would shoot around, attacking all of them, going from person to person, swipping and ripping at each one. Although the Tiger was much stronger, they feared the agility and cunning of the Leopard.

Last edited: