Anger Issues

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I sometimes detect what I consider anger issues among posters. People who are anger easily have what some psychologists call a low tolerance for frustration, they feel that they should not have to be subjected to frustration, inconvenience, or annoyance. Yeah, well, welcome to the real world. But what this has to do with Martial training, especially fighting, can sometimes be important.

Anger in your life can bleed into your fighting. Some may think that's a good thing, but it's not, at least within the higher echelons of fighting. Anger clouds your judgement, disrupts your breathing and endurance, screws up your timing and sometimes, believe it or not, messes with your spacial distance (the same way fear and adrenal dumps do)

Personally, I always used to love going against fighters who I knew had anger issues. Always made my job easier. Most Martial Arts I've had experience with helps with these issues. And every good fighting gym I've ever been to, does as well.

Chillin' is good thing. Helps with your your health, your relationships, your occupations...and your fighting.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great post! Just never tried 'love' against angry fighters. How do you do it? My neutral/stoic mode just make things worse, sometimes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught from a very early age ( my father was a boxer) that one never fought angry and that revenge is a dish best served cold. I know people may think I am angry but I am almost never angry (the only time on here was with one poster who was appalling enough to accuse me of murdering my child) I didn't even get angry when one of the posters here called me full of sh*t on FB ( that actually made me laugh). I love posting with sangfroid, insults come easier when one is coolheaded, you can choose the nicest ones when you think about them. :D
I find most people who see anger or upset in others posts are often seeing a mirror image of what they themselves are or would feel in the same position whereas I see this as a very amusing place mostly full of great, knowledgeable people with the occasional pillbrain but nothing's perfect.:D Some people will tell you to calm down because they love to think they've upset you which actually makes me laugh for reasons only the Brits will know because I hear it in a Scouse accent but see for yourselves.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok just in case it is me....
i dont really get angry.....ok thats a lie......
i dont often get angry due to on line stuff, i do however get focused and i love debate.
but one persons debate is another persons ,,,i wanna smash your face in and scratch your eyes out!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I sometimes detect what I consider anger issues among posters. People who are anger easily have what some psychologists call a low tolerance for frustration, they feel that they should not have to be subjected to frustration, inconvenience, or annoyance. Yeah, well, welcome to the real world. But what this has to do with Martial training, especially fighting, can sometimes be important.

Anger in your life can bleed into your fighting. Some may think that's a good thing, but it's not, at least within the higher echelons of fighting. Anger clouds your judgement, disrupts your breathing and endurance, screws up your timing and sometimes, believe it or not, messes with your spacial distance (the same way fear and adrenal dumps do)

Personally, I always used to love going against fighters who I knew had anger issues. Always made my job easier. Most Martial Arts I've had experience with helps with these issues. And every good fighting gym I've ever been to, does as well.

Chillin' is good thing. Helps with your your health, your relationships, your occupations...and your fighting.

Why you no good no account down right dirty varmint....How DARE you post such INFLAMMATORY things..... dang HAWIAN island occupant!!!! YEAH RIGHT!!!!! ALOHA to you FELLA!!!!!!!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the guy. Some people fight really well with pure hatred for their opponent.

Some don't.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm a ginger, soooo..... But in the real world I am genwrally considered to be laid back and very positive.

In general, it takes a very long time to get on my list. Once you're there, though, you're pretty much there for good.

Last edited:

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score

This is a great thread, in my opinion, and last night I was considering starting a new thread asking why people come to MT and why they post but I'll just piggy-back off of this thread (but maybe I should start a new thread as I am actually going "off topic" within this thread myself--although I do think it is related as I believe it is mostly angst that leads to the following problems around here).

What I do not understand here on MT is why all the silly, childish bickering back and forth about completely off topic or very tangential topics under a person's post.

As a relatively new person on the site I just shake my head when I see a new person post an honest question and they get a few good intentioned comments from people and then the people that are replying to the OP's question start to rip apart the other people's responses. BUT it does not end there as they continue to bicker, back and forth, for pages and it becomes incredibly non-productive and personal.

As a new person, it just turns me off to the site and I imagine that it causes a lot of new people to just walk away.

Not sure how to stop this (or even if you want to stop it) but as an outsider coming onto the site, it is not very pleasant.

Perhaps lock the threads after two pages b/.c it seems that everything just unravels starting on the third page.

Last edited:

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's up to me then... I'm always angry!!!! (lol):mad::cool:

Just kidding. I do get angry a lot though. I also get sad too. I sometimes have fears that only other fathers would understand. But you know, it keeps me feeling human. For the most part, nothing MTalk readers post effects my mood in any way. I may sometimes laugh in humor at some of the things I read on here. There are some funny comments that'll make you wonder sometimes like "Are you kidding me? Lol" but that's enjoyable on most days. I don't like to repeat myself much, especially on a forum. I must admit that sometimes I will get upset with other posters when I find their comments to be somewhat condescending (i.e. subtle rudeness or subliminally suggestive insults which don't technically violate MTalk's rule policy- who seriously has that much time on their hands? lol). But I also tend to get angry away from my phone as well. People in general in today's world and especially where I live are becoming colder and less like genuine people with feelings and emotions. It's like everyone's becoming soulless due to stress and drugs (even the local sheriffs and judges are under investigation right now for corruption). I also work as a security enforcement officer and ever-so-often my job can be very stressful, as it is my duty to protect other people, observe and report. Some people in my family say I am the way I am today because of my zodiac sign (I'm an aries). Anger gives me energy, but it also clouds my mind. One of the reasons I practice martial arts is to relax and cool off. It helps me to free my mind and focus. Training also helps me to direct my excess energy in a more positive direction. As for the knuckleheads in life, I try to ignore them on my days off if I can. As for the readers on this forum, I don't let their comments bother me at all. Everyone on this site picks and chooses their own conversations and what they read. You also choose what you say back, if anything at all. You are NOT required to answer to critics, skeptics, idiots, knuckleheads or even to people you like on this forum. Some readers might feel the need to be defensive or argumentative at times. But you have to remember that it's always your choice. You don't have to. You choose to.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I do not understand here on MT is why all the silly, childish bickering back and forth about completely off topic or very tangential topics under a person's post.

Are you sure it's bickering though? Quite often people are having to them a good conversation, enjoying themselves and someone comes along and says why are you bickering, when they were doing no such thing. You have to think about the conversations you have with your mates in the pub, you start off talking about football, then someone recalls something about a player , then that starts someone off about something else and so it goes on and you are talking about a whole load of different things, it's how conversations go between people and that is what happens here, what you think is off topic is people chatting. It is a martial arts forum but it's also a place of conversation, we aren't all about academic discussions of esoteric matters in martial arts. Take a step back and view us as a bunch of people in the pub, some you want to chat and have a laugh with, some you want to avoid totally as they are complete numpties and others you are comfortable with. It's just like life. :) Just because it's martial arts doesn't make people superior, you get everything here you get in real life, except a lot of the nastiness is moderated out.

For the most part, nothing MTalk readers post effects my mood in any way.

Nor should it. That's the way to think about it. We do have a few wind up merchants on here who come to see if they can get people going, you can engage with them or not, up to you.

. You are NOT required to answer to critics, skeptics, idiots, knuckleheads or even to people you like on this forum.

Absolutely, as I said above, you treat it as you would anywhere.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the guy. Some people fight really well with pure hatred for their opponent.

Some don't.

But that's a little different. That's going in with something akin to a purpose, not losing your cool and getting angry.

Latest Discussions