An unexpected milestone

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Attended a Carlson Gracie Jr. seminar today and got a shock at the end when I was informed that I was being promoted to black belt in BJJ.

I honestly thought I had a couple more years before I had to worry about being promoted. I think Carlson was probably applying a curve for old guys. There were three other brown belts at the seminar who are at least as good as me who didn't get promoted - but they're all 20 years younger than I am.

Anyway, I've got some holes in my game that I thought I had time to fix before I reached black belt. Now I've got to work even harder in order to catch up to my rank. I've been training about 12 hours a week on average. I wonder if my body can handle bumping that up to 15 hours per week.

20150221_165335.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is truly outstanding. Congratulations !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Tony, what a great milestone. Even better that you didn't see it coming. Sounds like you are harder on yourself, take it all in and enjoy the moment.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats! He wouldn't have promoted you if you're not worthy of representing his art. Accept with honor and pride.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! Congratulations and very well done. Chuffed for you!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I suspect that you sell yourself short and more than deserved the promotion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's such an amazing milestone to make. You've been entrusted as an inheritor of the system. As a guy who has only been studying BJJ for 2 years, I look at your accomplishment with awe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah well done.

You can do the extra if you keep it constant. And recovery swims.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Outstanding Tony. Congratulations!! Has to be an awesome feeling. I am very impressed with your honesty with yourself as to still having some holes and that you will continue to work to better yourself. It is an ongoing process to constantly refine or polish your martial skills. Keep on going and Never give up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tony. I've no doubt at all the promotion was deserved.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude. I mean, really. How fricken' awesome is that?

As for any "curve for old guys", my guess is - Carlson knows a little bit more than you about BJJ, yes? Oh, that is just so awesome!

Congratulations, my friend. Bask, my brother, you deserve a little basking, I know it's foreign to you, but it's deserved for a bit and it's a long road. Yay, Tony!

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'll probably feel better about the rank once those other brown belts I mentioned get promoted. (Carlson's words: "They're young. They've got plenty of time." My thoughts: "I'm only 50. Don't I have plenty of time? Do you know something I don't?"

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
. (Carlson's words: "They're young. They've got plenty of time." My thoughts: "I'm only 50. Don't I have plenty of time? Do you know something I don't?"

Yep-he does. If you haven't noticed, years will go by much faster, even if they are the same 31,536,000 seconds that those young guys get....congrats again.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats Tony!

Now prepare to get your *** kicked! ;)

Latest Discussions