An open online invitation

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any posts on here about online security? - not so much as to what your kids etc are looking at and able to access/expose themselves to - which is an issue and a valid SD matter all in itself - but more about protecting yourself vis-a- vis your online behaviour.

I have seen a couple of instances, one just today which alarmed and prompted me a little, where a female friend, has basically just posted on facebook, where she has hundreds of "friends": "hey, I thought it would be nice having the house to myself as hubby is away on business for the week and the kids are staying over, but I am actually finding it kinda quiet..."

I am sure all will be well, but we really ought to think more about just who and how many we are alerting to the fact that we are "home alone".

The other time was when a family friend posted the whole family was travelling overseas for a month - I told her to get that off facebook and simply tell everyone on FB after they're home or just email close friends holiday snaps during your holiday etc - don't put it out to the world that your house is vacant.

I am thinking about emailing my friend today and telling her to pull that comment off FB (and twitter and anywhere else) but I don't want to come across again as the MA/SD/paranoid mate... I'll tell her anyway, as to be honest I'd prefer her to be safe and to be laughing over how silly and paranoid I am.

Anyway am sure has been done to death on MT but let's all "stay safe on the big wide web".

PS - Chris, I will be home late tonight so if you want to collect that katana, I've left the back door open and the alarm off.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yea people get comfortable and forget that there are people out there thst will hurt you financially, physically, or mentally just because it in their hearts. I try to say that I just came back from somewhere. That way people dont know when I am gone or how long I am gone.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of social media although I do use Twitter now and again.

Your concerns are perfectly valid; I had a colleague at work once put on her 'out of office email reply' that she was in Turkey for the next fortnight but she'lll deal with your query upon her return. She was burgled whilst abroad on holiday that year and there isn't any way to tell whether this was related but the fact remains that every single person who sent her an email within that period received an email back to say that her house was currently empty.

People need to ask themselves before posting pretty much anything online if they would shout the same thing in a busy shopping centre at the top of their voice; if the answer to that is no, then they'd be better not posting it on a public forum or social media site.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I always shocked when I see this. So many of my friends post when they are leaving, and where they are going. Many are business trips, so they are basically advertising that the wife and friends are home alone.

And if people aren't smart, the default security level is friends of friends, so there are thousands of people you may not know who can see these posts.

Rick

Latest Discussions