An Ip Man Movie

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As usual trailers only show the best clips and for movies like this it'll be what will draw the crowds... the fighting scenes. It is hoped that the excitement of the fights will be tempered by a good (and accurate) story line of the more "quieter" times of the man's life. Maybe it's me but I'm finding myself wanting more of a story than action in a movie.

Here's hoping....

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, and I am far from positive on this, he has never trained Wing Chun
I know that he'd played a role in a film called 'Wing Chun' in 1994 and had assumed it was about the martial art. Closer inspection shows that it's about a woman called 'Wing Chun', not sure about the martial art content though.

The saga continues.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know that he'd played a role in a film called 'Wing Chun' in 1994 and had assumed it was about the martial art. Closer inspection shows that it's about a woman called 'Wing Chun', not sure about the martial art content though.

The saga continues.

Now you went and did it that (thanks :asian:)was a Michelle Yeoh movie and she was playing the founder of Wing Chun. It was not a Donnie Yen movie per say it was a Michelle Yeoh movie. And Michelle Yeoh was playing Yim Wing Chun. However as far as I can tell Michelle Yeoh never officially trained Wing Chun either

Oh did I mention that it was a Michelle Yeoh movie.....Just wanted to majke sure I metioned it was Michelle Yeoh

:D

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Michelle Yeoh doesn't have any WC training at all. She is a trained dancer so it is easy for them to teach her the moves.

Donnie Yen does a great job in his movies and the casual MA fan will watch it for the action scenes and not so much the background of Yip Man. Lets not forget Donnie Yen isn't big here in the U.S. but in Asia, he is the man.

Tony Leung was scheduled to also play Yip Man in a movie to focus more on his life. Of course some MA would be done by Leung. Tony Leung is a great actor but I am not sure if they decided to continue with the film or wait until Yen's movie comes out.

martyg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As usual trailers only show the best clips and for movies like this it'll be what will draw the crowds... the fighting scenes. It is hoped that the excitement of the fights will be tempered by a good (and accurate) story line of the more "quieter" times of the man's life. Maybe it's me but I'm finding myself wanting more of a story than action in a movie.

No such luck. The trailer already shows a bunch of made up material. Teaching groups of men, women and children in the streets of Fatshan? Fatshan a metropolitan city? Walking in to a room full of Japanese to fight them all ala Fist of Fury? Some supposed (and typical b martial arts movie) "Promised not to fight anymore, until he was just pushed to far" storyline? Its looking like this movie is just going to be purely for entertainment value - much like Dragon. I understand they have to create drama for cinematic purposes, but the problem is you'll have people watching it thinking its fact.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say enjoy it for what it is, a movie.
Im sure if Tony Leung does a Yip Man movie there will be less WC and more about Yip man's life and then people will complain that there wasn't enough WC shown.

I have seen OLD clips of Donnie Yen doing WC so he has done it before but in terms of how much training in his past, I'm not sure. Being that he is a BIg Bruce Lee fan I am sure he has studied it some in his past. Plus with Sammo helping with the fight cheography I wouldn't totally tank the movie before we see it. (Many of us did that when we found out Heath Ledger was selected to play The Joker)

WC people should be happy someone is bringing the art to the big screen. Last movie WC people have had are The Prodigal Son and that other movie with Cassanova Wong (worst ending ever)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yea, only so much can be done in a movie.

I suggest going to amazon.com and purchasing the TV show Yong Chun which stars Gordon Liu, Sammo Hung, Philip Ng, Sammy Hung (Sammo's son) Yuen Biao and Nicholas Tse to see actually fighting application of WC which is great and the training scenes rival the movie The Prodigal Son.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Michelle Yeoh sucks!! Just kidding....LOL!!! Add a little Joan Chen, Gong Li, and of course Cynthia Rothrock (LOL!) and between the four of them, they could be the Four Horsewomen of the Apocolyptical 18 weapons of Shaolin!!!

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue, have I mentioned that Michelle Yeoh sucks....might you have a small crush, me thinks!!!!!

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have seen OLD clips of Donnie Yen doing WC so he has done it before but in terms of how much training in his past, I'm not sure. Being that he is a BIg Bruce Lee fan I am sure he has studied it some in his past.
Now you're teasing :D Have you got any links or anything that we could see? There was about a millisecond of him doing chi sau with Ip Chun in one of the trailers, and he didn't look like an absolute beginner there.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now you're teasing :D Have you got any links or anything that we could see? There was about a millisecond of him doing chi sau with Ip Chun in one of the trailers, and he didn't look like an absolute beginner there.

lol..it was a few years ago when I use to download martial art clips off of Limewire. I don't have it anymore though.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey your aware the wing chun series you speak of cost about fifty dollars right?

Oh yea, only so much can be done in a movie.

I suggest going to amazon.com and purchasing the TV show Yong Chun which stars Gordon Liu, Sammo Hung, Philip Ng, Sammy Hung (Sammo's son) Yuen Biao and Nicholas Tse to see actually fighting application of WC which is great and the training scenes rival the movie The Prodigal Son.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is going to be a great movie...I love the trailer too...very interesting...Actual with most WC movies you have to look past the flying and special moves they do...then you see the System being displayed...

As far as I can tell, and I am far from positive on this, he has never trained Wing Chun

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get it for free. I will say it is worth it every penny.

The Master Of Tai Chi tv show was good as well.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What movie did you get free...wing chun the series?

Yeah I got the series free. It is like 5 or 6 discs I think. Very good to see Sammo take on Yuen Biao.

Ok the Yip Man movie is now out on DVD and I heard it is awesome. I plan on watching it today or tomorrow and will let you all know what I think of it. I will say that it must be something good b/c they have already green lit the sequel to the movie. The next one will show Yip Man in Hong Kong and him taking students and yes it will have Bruce Lee. I wonder who in the world they will cast as him.

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/ip-man-sequel-gets-the-green-light/

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I just finished watching the movie and it is.....AWESOME!!
If you liked Jet Li's Fearless then you will like this movie as well. I can definitely see why the have approved the sequal to this movie.

My favorite MA movie is The Prodigal Son and this movie has now beaten it. I highly recommend you guys watch this movie and Donnie Yen does a great job with the role.

I cannot wait for the sequal.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Chinese co worker of mine told me today that the movie is available in Chinatown?! Is this movie not going to be widely distributed over in the US? Just curious, so I know how to get it. I enjoy Donnie Yen immensely, especially due to not only his skills but those of his mother, Bow Sim Mark.

Latest Discussions