an interesting rant on SD Gjj vs Competition G/Bjj regarding teaching kids.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somehow, that argument usually assumes the other guy always has friends, and the defender never does. Are martial artists that lonely?

Given the nature of what is trained in a self defence class. Awarness, deescalation. I would be surprised if some of these people had ever left the house.

Let alone have friends.

By the way I did deescalate the other day like a boss.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having exhaustive experience with a limited skill set will always trump having limited experience with an exhaustive skill set.

In other words, the concern with sport is a blind spot when shifting application from one context to another, The concern with “self defense” is a blind spot about application in any context. I’ll take the former over the latter any day.

Yeah. I have thrown this around a bit. You have to pick your applicable for self defence from a pool of techniques that actually work.

Do you guys have danoz direct?

Quality As Seen TV Products | Danoz Direct

That is basically the issue with self defence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the nature of what is trained in a self defence class. Awarness, deescalation. I would be surprised if some of these people had ever left the house.

Let alone have friends.

By the way I did deescalate the other day like a boss.
There is some paranoia preached in self-defense marketing. Same for pro-gun groups. It bugs me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah. I have thrown this around a bit. You have to pick your applicable for self defence from a pool of techniques that actually work.

Do you guys have danoz direct?

Quality As Seen TV Products | Danoz Direct

That is basically the issue with self defence.
Kind of. I mean, sure, starting with something that actually works is step one. "Does this work for someone?" Sure, it's a bar that some folks consistently fail to meet, but still that's a very low bar. And yeah, lack of experience can make it easier to fall prey to snake oil. It's hard to know what might and might not actually work without some experience. Danoz Direct looks a lot like our "As Seen On TV" infomercials or the old RonCo products.

But what we see far more often around here is failure to distinguish between other people's experience and their own. We had a guy delivering some professional training at work just last week. He was an experienced trainer, teaching three different courses: a communications course, a project management course, and a course on managing virtual teams. As great a trainer as he was, he had no practical experience in any of these areas, and it showed. The course material was fine, but all he could really do was facilitate, adding no real substance beyond that. He did okay with the first class, really had no business teaching the project management course, and faked his way through the virtual management course (but at least he had some experience being a member of a virtual team).

I have no doubt that, should he teach these courses again, he will appear more credible. He'll be more familiar with the content, and will have learned from the students in the class. But he won't actually be more credible. I hope that if these courses are delivered again, the company he works for finds trainers who are also bona fide subject matter experts, and doesn't fake it with the façade of credibility.

All week, I just thought how much like some self defense training this was.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kind of. I mean, sure, starting with something that actually works is step one. "Does this work for someone?" Sure, it's a bar that some folks consistently fail to meet, but still that's a very low bar. And yeah, lack of experience can make it easier to fall prey to snake oil. It's hard to know what might and might not actually work without some experience. Danoz Direct looks a lot like our "As Seen On TV" infomercials or the old RonCo products.

But what we see far more often around here is failure to distinguish between other people's experience and their own. We had a guy delivering some professional training at work just last week. He was an experienced trainer, teaching three different courses: a communications course, a project management course, and a course on managing virtual teams. As great a trainer as he was, he had no practical experience in any of these areas, and it showed. The course material was fine, but all he could really do was facilitate, adding no real substance beyond that. He did okay with the first class, really had no business teaching the project management course, and faked his way through the virtual management course (but at least he had some experience being a member of a virtual team).

I have no doubt that, should he teach these courses again, he will appear more credible. He'll be more familiar with the content, and will have learned from the students in the class. But he won't actually be more credible. I hope that if these courses are delivered again, the company he works for finds trainers who are also bona fide subject matter experts, and doesn't fake it with the façade of credibility.

All week, I just thought how much like some self defense training this was.

Yeah. I have had that issue here before. Specifically military systems and hip throws. Now hip throws are absolutely doable and have that sort of wonderful application where you can chunk a guy on their back, stay standing and be totally boss.

But you have like 6 to 8 weeks. A 6 to 8 week hip throw is basically letting the other guy strangle you to death.

So yeah when it has to work first. Works for that person.

Latest Discussions