An incident of a gun not being a magic wand

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not using a shotgun as a magic wand:

Four people shot on Dauphin Island Pkwy, suspects identified

Text book....used only the amount of force needed.

This is honestly the hardest thing to do, particularly when guns are involved. It's very easy to use excessive amounts of force and end up causing more problems than solving them. As other people have said, learning to shoot is pretty easy, but learning when, who and why to shoot someone is hard. To me, the mark of a truely great officer is being able to de-escalate a situation without using force. Now of course there are times when force is necessary, but I feel that these days people rely on force to solve every problem, when there are better methods available.

It's all a matter of judgement.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've carried a Raven 25 auto in my pocket for over thirty years, or a North American Arms 22. Trained drawing and shooting from there forever. Biggest drawback is it stinks up your clothes (don't go through TSA) And as gpseymour alluded to, I pick all my clothes for movement and pockets. I do not carry in my pocket for convenience, I do it as a tactical choice and for safety.

However - I do not, in good conscience, recommend this to anyone else.

I've also gone swimming after eating and gone outside with my hair wet.

If a firearm ever fell out of my pocket, I'd stop carrying a firearm.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It all depends on your individual skill level.

I've been described as a Country Boy version of John Wick.......only by myself....but it still counts. ;)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what is your reasoning for the massively higher rate of gun deaths than pretty much everywhere else in the world?
My reasoning is to dispute your claim and to, additionally, point out the foolishness of trying combining all "gun deaths" into one lump, including suicides and legal justified deaths. Pull those out and see what the numbers are.

So, no, the U.S. absolutely does NOT have "massively higher rate of gun deaths than pretty much everywhere else in the world" and even the rates you see are misleadingly inflated by including suicide, legal self defense, and legal LEO actions.

I am not really sugesting gun ownership is the issue. But gun ownership by morons.
Depending on the definition of "morons," we probably agree.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions