An Aikidoka's controversial journey into MMA: Is it helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really, you can drop the charade, troll.

Specifically, no, MMA is not better than Aikido or Tae Kwon Do or anything else. Its a different sport. And sport fighting in general is not comparable to ancient fighting arts.

Whether or not you believe Aikido comes from something more ancient or it was just made up by one guy in one lifetime and the earth is flat, is completely irrelevant
Soo is that a no to my question? Or are you making an assumption that they also assume they are badasses, despite never watching ufc since the 90s?

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Soo is that a no to my question? Or are you making an assumption that they also assume they are badasses, despite never watching ufc since the 90s?
Nah, I just listen to all the fanboys.

And this thread in fact addresses the same pathetic whimpering about "oh well, we have to give up all our other disciplines because MMA is better than everything". Like Walmart is better than every other store too eh

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, I just listen to all the fanboys.

And this thread in fact addresses the same pathetic whimpering about "oh well, we have to give up all our other disciplines because MMA is better than everything". Like Walmart is better than every other store too eh
Except only about 3 of the people active in this thread would consider themselves mmaists, so clearly that's not what we all think

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was giving you the name and cape of your super power
You'll have to expand on that. Still not sure if it's an insult, and if it is then i would want to at least extend you the respect of pretending to be offended. Once I understand how being active is insulting.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You remind me of Elroy Jetson, who was proud of being one of 3 Active people in the forum, but kind of like Wonderboy too, ready to go. Which is amusing because it was a response to the OP, but there you were, Active Boy, with your own little cape, ready for action. But it had nothing to do with the active people in the thread. So it was a hilarious juxtaposition, with you as an active user, over the seemingly forgotten background of the OP

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And with your Velvet Underground quote for your signature. It just seemed suitable.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well before the scary, spider eating girl shows up and locks the thread and bans the troll...........
This was fun reading.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are you even responding to?

You see, the time traveling comes in when the aikidoka time travel back thousands of years to fight the samurai(is Tom cruise in this one?)

I assume that's how they got there as aikido wasn't founded until 1942.

The name was not founded until then but when that name was coined then was it as it is today ???

You are the informed one who has made claims of being combat effective yet have you faced combat? and I mean for real ?

answer that or will you just resort to avoiding again ?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That would actually be really confusing as I'm not an MMA guy.

No but according to you you are combat effective and slang off recognized masters yet all you can come up with is the same again and again and again

I think a certain countryman of yours if you visited his dojo and said Aikido ddin't work and the rest might well disagree and as you also disliked the thing I said about the shenshusei then please go say that in a dojo that is run by one or better still go say it to one of the riot police guys then two things will happen if not more ...you will see if you are and have the skills you claim as being combat effective ... you won't have to take your vid cam as you will be there first hand and most importantly you will get first hand on the job experience of what they have been taught ....

now there is an offer for you you want things proved and you claim to be combat effective and orientated so go test it with those who are taught it specifically for that

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really, you can drop the charade, troll.

Specifically, no, MMA is not better than Aikido or Tae Kwon Do or anything else. Its a different sport. And sport fighting in general is not comparable to ancient fighting arts.

Whether or not you believe Aikido comes from something more ancient or it was just made up by one guy in one lifetime and the earth is flat, is completely irrelevant
well it clearly is comparable, as we are comparing them,!!!!!.

better depends what you mean by better, mma has live fighting, that doesnt involve breast plates, or petty rules about head punches, they are general fitter, as they have to be to be even remotely competitive.

i think you could make a case that someone who competes at say full contact karate, is equally combat ready,
if you mean the ki aspects of tma, then i have to agree, that mma isn't big on chi, and aikido would be " better" at finding inner piece

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No but according to you you are combat effective and slang off recognized masters yet all you can come up with is the same again and again and again

I think a certain countryman of yours if you visited his dojo and said Aikido ddin't work and the rest might well disagree and as you also disliked the thing I said about the shenshusei then please go say that in a dojo that is run by one or better still go say it to one of the riot police guys then two things will happen if not more ...you will see if you are and have the skills you claim as being combat effective ... you won't have to take your vid cam as you will be there first hand and most importantly you will get first hand on the job experience of what they have been taught ....

now there is an offer for you you want things proved and you claim to be combat effective and orientated so go test it with those who are taught it specifically for that
you seem to be claiming a level of moral superiority because you've been in a few war zones, whilst I'm claiming intellectual superiority because. I was smart enough not to be in any,

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you seem to be claiming a level of moral superiority because you've been in a few war zones, whilst I'm claiming intellectual superiority because. I was smart enough not to be in any,

I am not claiming moral anything at all

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I don't agree with and that is the first time I have not agreed
I've not yet found a situation where I couldn't make it extremely difficult to get a wrist lock, if I knew one was coming. Difficult to the point that it was simply a bad choice, because it took too much focus and gave me too many openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.