Amok 9 count knife angles

John Tritsaris

White Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know why amok use a 9 count knife angles instead of a 12 count like most knife styles.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of times there are redundant angles in the 12-count systems in order to get the lucky number 12. Some can be omitted. Perhaps that's what they did?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(edit)

It's traditionally Filipino systems that have the 12-count. AMOK isn't a Filipino system.

In AMOK, the targets for the knife are more important than a culturally auspicious number of strikes.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a metric cartload of numbering systems in the FMA. I've seen ones with 5, 9, 12, 18, 24 and others. It really doesn't signify.

jdp29

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tom Sotis has prioritized his system. To much clutter in FMA.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actualy like quite a bit about what I hear about AMOK training. However this is something I do not condone: http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/become_a_trainer.html

Taken from the article:
Once you know how to lead a 9 Realms workout (this takes about a day to learn) and when you can competantly demonstrate the Accessing module’s attacks and counters, then you can be an authorized Trainer

Becoming a trainer in one day or a few leves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me not want to study with an AMOK representative that may have only trained a day or a few more to become a certifide AMOK trainer.

Beyond that though the philosophy that AMOK espouses sounds great and being someone who does serious blade training I look forward to attending a Tom Sotis seminar at some point to see his methodology.
icon6.gif

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regarding the 9 angles, I know that the US Army uses a nine count when talking about knife angles as well.

Attachments

• $knife angles.jpg
    $knife angles.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 314

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actualy like quite a bit about what I hear about AMOK training. However this is something I do not condone: http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/become_a_trainer.html

Taken from the article:
Once you know how to lead a 9 Realms workout (this takes about a day to learn) and when you can competantly demonstrate the Accessing module’s attacks and counters, then you can be an authorized Trainer

Becoming a trainer in one day or a few leves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me not want to study with an AMOK representative that may have only trained a day or a few more to become a certifide AMOK trainer.

I think that is a one-day class on their instruction model, not one day to learn the techniques. That just seems silly to me. Learning the method and knowing how to teach it in a proven effective format is another thing.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, a single day is a real concern, but perhaps that does regard only the training in instruction, not the techniques?

UrBaN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Once you know how to lead a 9 Realms workout (this takes about a day to learn)"

I think it's quite obvious what this statement means. Needs approx. day to learn how to lead the workout...

"and when you can competantly demonstrate the Accessing module’s attacks and counters, then you can be an authorized Trainer""

"And when" in my knowledge, could be from 1 min to 10 years...

The accessing module is priority one in Amok! I suggest you attend a seminar / camp of that module, better by Tom himself, or a certified instructor and then decide for yourself if you have ever seen anything more practical or close to reality.

[FONT=&quot]Amok! is a mindset. [/FONT]

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

I spent several years training with Prof Sotis, and had lot's of laughs and great training days.

The Generic 9 I was taught may have changed but this is what I have from back then:

The Generic 9
1. 45* downward diagonal from right to left cut to neck
2. 45* downward diagonal from left to right cut to neck
3. 0* across from right to left cut along middle line
4. 0* across from left to right cut along middle line
5. 110* upward thrust to bladder (retract to left shoulder, elbow close to body)
6. 45* upward diagonal from left to right cut under rib-line to solar plexus
7. 45* upward diagonal from right to left cut under rib-line to solar plexus
8. Thrust originating from left side of body to armpit (or plexus, neck, right eye)
9. Thrust originating from right side of body to heart (or plexus, neck, head, left eye)

AMOK, definitely has had its roots in FMA practice, but it has changed over the years, especially when Prof Tom was working with Guro Gould of the LAMECO system.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

jdp29

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I urge all of those who have not trained with Tom Sotis to do so. Will be worth every penny you put out.

Tom Sotis

White Belt
Reaction score
"Once you know how to lead a 9 Realms workout (this takes about a day to learn)"

I think it's quite obvious what this statement means. Needs approx. day to learn how to lead the workout...

"and when you can competantly demonstrate the Accessing module’s attacks and counters, then you can be an authorized Trainer""

"And when" in my knowledge, could be from 1 min to 10 years...

The accessing module is priority one in Amok! I suggest you attend a seminar / camp of that module, better by Tom himself, or a certified instructor and then decide for yourself if you have ever seen anything more practical or close to reality.

[FONT=&quot]Amok! is a mindset.[/FONT]

UrBaN,
Whoever you are, thank you for your answer.
Tom

UrBaN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Tom,

I have the same username at your forum!!

It's not that difficult ;-)

Stay safe,

Amok!

Latest Discussions