American TKD Grandmasters List

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, I took your comment that you had seen his certificates to mean you had seen this one, too.

When the ITF promoted GM's Nicholls, Gallaraga, Ligay, and Tompkins there was an announcement posted on the ITF website. ..............Since the other gentlemen were promoted in 2014 and there was no announcement for GM Humesky before then I presume his was a posthumous award, which certainly doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments.

Pax,

Chris

Mr. Spiller, FWIW GM Tomkins # is A-9-1000 and GM Humesky is A-9-1001 So it would seem they were issued either on the same date or close to it. So, if you Know GM Tompkins Date that would be a clue.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Spiller, FWIW GM Tomkins # is A-9-1000 and GM Humesky is A-9-1001 So it would seem they were issued either on the same date or close to it. So, if you Know GM Tompkins Date that would be a clue.

Master Weiss, GM Tompkins was promoted at the same time as Grand Masters Nicholls, Ligay, and Galarraga in July of 2014 at the ITF WC's. This was the year after GM Humesky passed away so given the date and the difference in dan numbers it seems quite likely that GM Humesky's IX dan was awarded posthumously.

The only other IX dan awarded by GM Choi thus far has been to GM Lee, Won Il who was an early pioneer under Gen. Choi who spread Taekwon-Do to Spain. GM Choi recognized GM Lee with an official ITF IX dan in September of 2009.

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, there are a number of Chang Hon / ITF stylists that have now been training consistently for 40 Plus years as an adult. . I expect that in the coming years and perhaps months many will reach 9th Dan thru various orgs.

This is in all likely hood much longer than many Korean Pioneers trained to attain that rank. For instance Han Cha Kyo's cert was k-8-6 in 1973. So, he had perhaps been training a little over 20 years to that point. Not sure when he got the 9th Dan but I am sure it was not 20 years later.

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a Grandmaster that looks legit. Senior Grandmaster Steven E. Travis 9th Dan, he was promoted from 5th to 9th by Woon Kyu Uhm and got his 1st to 4th black belt in the KTA through Grandmaster Edward Sell. This is what I know of him after digging through records.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a Grandmaster that looks legit. Senior Grandmaster Steven E. Travis 9th Dan, he was promoted from 5th to 9th by Woon Kyu Uhm and got his 1st to 4th black belt in the KTA through Grandmaster Edward Sell. This is what I know of him after digging through records.

The KTA (Korean Taekwondo Association) dont promote ppl tho. You must mean the WTF. They have only promoted two ppl in the past; Ki Whang Kim and one other guy whom I cant recall right now.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good Day,

I am doing some research related to American Grandmasters of Taekwondo.

American Grandmasters List:

Edward Sell - GM Uhm, Won Kyu

Charles Seriff - GM Choi, Hong Hi

Robert Hardin - GGM Nam & GM Kong, Young Il

Scott McNeely - GGM Nam & GM Kong, Young Il

Those listed above were very easy to confirm, however I am having a hard time regarding GM Bert & Craig Kollars.

So far I have contacted the office organization FB page, obtained a telephone number for their HQ, called and was advised someone would call me back, but that was over a week ago.

Can anyone help with my inquiry, and also feel free to help me expand my list.

As I was told when I was in Taiwan..."Erybody and their mama is a Grandmaster in America." LOL!

Which is so true. As you posted above Edward Sell (RIP), his wife Brenda Sell and his son are grandmaster....all in the same organization. LOL!

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough, like I said, it's your thread, I'm just trying to get some perspective on your thought process.

In my neck of the woods, there aren't many American born 9th dans. For instance, my SBN started TKD under our KJN in 1971. Considering his skill level, knowledge, and time in the arts, he could easily be a 9th dan under KKW criteria. However, our KJN has only promoted him to 7th dan, and he is the highest rank in our association under our KJN (who is a 9th dan).

For example:

GM Ki Whang KIM was one of very few 10 dans in the U.S.

GM Albert Cheeks is listed as a 9th dan. He was a famous student under Grandmaster Ki Whang Kim, albeit GM KIM never awarded any grade higher than 7th dan to my knowledge. Of which he only awarded two: Mitchell Bobrow and George Thanos.

From what I was told....thats not true. It was Jimmy Roberts Jr and Albert Cheeks who got there 7th from GM Kim. EVERYONE else Ki Whang sent to Heny Cho to get promoted beyond 4th Dan.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The KTA (Korean Taekwondo Association) dont promote ppl tho. You must mean the WTF. They have only promoted two ppl in the past; Ki Whang Kim and one other guy whom I cant recall right now.

The WTF doesn't promote people though. Perhaps you mean the Kukkiwon.

Pax,

Chris

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The KTA (Korean Taekwondo Association) dont promote ppl tho.

Well, actually... in a way, they do. At least indirectly. The KTA founded the Kukkiwon, and is still the "over sight" group between the KKW and the South Korean Government (at least in theory). Prior to the founding of the KKW, the KTA may have promoted people directly. I'm not sure, though, and I think it more likely that at that time promotions were from within the individual kwan.

You must mean the WTF.

The WTF is an organization that promotes the sport of Olympic taekwondo (as opposed to the art of TKD). Not people. They have no curriculum, no schools, and award no rank (other than in the sense of national and international rankings based on tourney results).

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters, but I'm pretty sure both the WTF and the KTA awarded dan certificates in the past. To my understanding they no longer award dan certificates.

"The first official KTA dan promotion test was held on 11 November 1962.[2] The KTA continued awarding dan ranks for several years,[c] but handed over direct dan promotion responsibilities to either the WTF in April 1976, according to a Black Belt magazine report,[31] or to Kukkiwon on 5 February 1980, according to historians Won Sik Kang and Kyong Myong Lee.[2] Since then, however, some dan ranks have apparently still been awarded under the authority of the KTA (e.g., S. S. Lee's 9th dan from the Jidokwan, KTA, in 1993).[32]"

~Wikipedia

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what I was told....thats not true. It was Jimmy Roberts Jr and Albert Cheeks who got there 7th from GM Kim. EVERYONE else Ki Whang sent to Heny Cho to get promoted beyond 4th Dan.

I can't remember where I had read that, and obviously it is outside of my association. I will admit you are much closer to the source than I am on this topic. The only rank I know for certain is Master Critzos' 7th dan, which was awarded by my KJN, GM Sok Ho KANG.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters, but I'm pretty sure both the WTF and the KTA awarded dan certificates in the past. To my understanding they no longer award dan certificates.

"The first official KTA dan promotion test was held on 11 November 1962.[2] The KTA continued awarding dan ranks for several years,[c] but handed over direct dan promotion responsibilities to either the WTF in April 1976, according to a Black Belt magazine report,[31] or to Kukkiwon on 5 February 1980, according to historians Won Sik Kang and Kyong Myong Lee.[2] Since then, however, some dan ranks have apparently still been awarded under the authority of the KTA (e.g., S. S. Lee's 9th dan from the Jidokwan, KTA, in 1993).[32]"

~Wikipedia

In the chaotic early days, lots of odd things happened. But any rank awarded by the WTF these days is purely honorary. Which means as much as rank from Ashida Kim.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the chaotic early days, lots of odd things happened. But any rank awarded by the WTF these days is purely honorary. Which means as much as rank from Ashida Kim.

No argument from me there. I just wanted to point out that there are folks that have legitimately ranked through the KTA and WTF, albeit only for a brief time back in the mid 70's and 80's.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't remember where I had read that, and obviously it is outside of my association. I will admit you are much closer to the source than I am on this topic. The only rank I know for certain is Master Critzos' 7th dan, which was awarded by my KJN, GM Sok Ho KANG.
Yes thats right. But coming from Ki Whang only Jimmy and Cheeks.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey did yall determine what the standards going to be in saying who is legitimate and who's not?

Ive seen a few of you all taking about this a few post back but did see if you all came to a conclusion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey did yall determine what the standards going to be in saying who is legitimate and who's not?

Ive seen a few of you all taking about this a few post back but did see if you all came to a conclusion.

The conclusion by the OP was that he would be the arbiter of legitimacy.
That's sort of the problem with his whole idea...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Your legit if you got a cert from the Intergalactic TAK UR DO Federation on the wall saying you are 9th Degree / Dan/ Slipknot or higher.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine says: Forever Renouned, Authentic, Ultimate, Deity, -- Grandmaster - 12th Knot.

Latest Discussions