American Editorial

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Feel free to agree or disagree.

THIS DOES SAY IT ALL!!!

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face covered, I believe this is even more appropriate. Read on, please!
This is an Editorial written by an American citizen, published in a
Tampa Newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he?
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.
Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the
dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a
better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely
comprised of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multi cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore,
if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! "In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy
with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But, once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

I did not write this, I just happen to like it and agree with it, for the most part.

S

sweeper

interesting, I agree/disagree with parts.

First I would argue that america's culture is a derivative of many other cultures, and in parts some cultures are much more predominant. There is no universal american culture.

Second
""In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented."
Those same men and women layed the ground work of the nation in such a way that it was heavily adaptable, we can change any law, we can change our constitution. Our laws and our constitution however are layed out to protect the individuals rights. We, the people of this country ellect most of the officials that create laws and interpret them. We ellect judges and legislators and those that are apointed are apointed by an ellected official. There fore one could argue that if not directly the people of this nation indirectly chose laws by democratic process (through a representative making it a democratic republic) and as such when the establishment makes a decision that goes against a predominant culture in the area it is a sign of change, but not a forced change by immigrants, rather a change in opinion of the people. The American People.

If you don't like it loby against it (and yeah I know that's basicly what this statement is). However it isn't un-american in my opinion, far from it. I think changing laws to accomodate people based apon the majority opinion of the populace is what being american is all about, this is a government of the people and for the people so if the people change their minds on something the government should change their mind.

"We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
Well, we don't just speak english do we? I mean we speak all those other languages too. Now I agree if you want to adapt to american culture as a non-english speaker nation you probably are going to nead to learn to speak english because it is predominantly spoken. On the otherhand if there are so many non-english speakers in an area as to warrant english speakers to nead to learn a second language, well than I tihnk the same thing applies, within american culture we have sub-cultures and if you want to deal with them you might want to learn about them.

So basicly I think our versatility as americans should alow for everyone to keep their culture to an extent. but you cna't nessisaraly expect others to change or expect them to accept you, if you are new to an area you can either adapt or not adapt. What ever is easier for you.

I assume though that the argument below is directed more twards the situation of a great deal of immigrants moving into an area forcing a cultural change and the older residants having to addapt.. As it is 3:00am here and I probably should have been asleep 3 hours ago I'm not even sure if I will agree with what I wrote above in the morning (or if it will amke sense) so I think I'll adress the rest of this latter.

Hope I didn't offend anyone though (j/k) ;-p

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

THIS DOES SAY IT ALL!!!

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face covered,

. . .

Gee, I wonder if I could vreat my own religion,
then go to Florida and have this mask on with
a phoney name, but it is a picture ID. I could
then copy this ID and sell it to a million
young people who want to get a false ID.

WOW, this is really cool, that we can hide our
faces, from everyone and allow this to
continue.

Now I understand the a Muslim Woman in her
'Da Sheiky' (Spelling is wrong, I apologize)
is the proper dress for someone of her culture.

But it can and will be used for negative effects
on society. I understand that if she were to get
pulled over then she would have an ID to match
her appearance.

I just think it is wrong, religious freedom or
not.

My opinion - not yours or anyone else's I am
associated with me.

Rich

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

Now I understand the a Muslim Woman in her
'Da Sheiky' (Spelling is wrong, I apologize)
is the proper dress for someone of her culture.

Isn't a 'Da Sheiky' a traditional African robe?
I thought it was something like Sarape???
:confused:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I apologize for mixing my cultures.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How can one have a photo ID when the individuals face is covered?

I understand the cultural, etc, but picture ID requires a clear picture. No face, ID is useless. Add in a DNA string, fingerprint etc and maybe, but that can all be faked to match.

Hey...Can I put my Avatar on mine? This way, all my speeding tickets will get charged to a cartoon character. Oh wait, I am. Never Mind. :)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you too Rich.

It figures, Florida. First they can't count worth a hoot now they want to be politicaly correct and let this happen. What's next for them, any clues?

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

THIS DOES SAY IT ALL!!!

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face covered, I believe this is even more appropriate. Read on, please!
This is an Editorial written by an American citizen, published in a
Tampa Newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he?
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.
Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the
dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a
better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely
comprised of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multi cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore,
if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! "In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy
with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But, once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

I did not write this, I just happen to like it and agree with it, for the most part.

You were doing fine, till you hit on the part about speaking Spanish!

Which reminds me, you guys stole my ancestors land, and I think some BACK rent is due, so........:2pistols:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My great great great great grandfather came over from Ireland and married a Cherokee woman, can I make a claim for part of the US?

I did a geneology research on my family and found I come from Irish and Cherokee descendents.

Back to topic, for Florida to do this is real stupid to me. Imagine how many others would be able to use that ID, and for who knows what too. Big thumbs down on this.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

You were doing fine, till you hit on the part about speaking Spanish!

Which reminds me, you guys stole my ancestors land, and I think some BACK rent is due, so........:2pistols:

I'm 3rd generation American, NONE of my ancestors stole a thing!
:D

Had nothing to do with slavery either! :cool:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

My great great great great grandfather came over from Ireland and married a Cherokee woman, can I make a claim for part of the US?

I did a geneology research on my family and found I come from Irish and Cherokee descendents.

Back to topic, for Florida to do this is real stupid to me. Imagine how many others would be able to use that ID, and for who knows what too. Big thumbs down on this.

Hi Cousin Klondike93,

My Grandmothers Grandmother was from the Iroquois.
I have some of the dark coloration in hair and lots of melon
in my skin and tan quite well.

On /9/11/01, respectful to those who passed and their families,
I stopped for gas and had a guy go off on me for my looks.
I was shocked and stunned. And when he paused for a breath
before he could continue I replied. "Go Home White MAN!, I was
here first!" His wife said something to him and he got into the
car and she drove off.

Even with the above problems, I am an AMERICAN. I speak
English and enough French and Japanese to make people
of those native tongues laugh at me. The American Culture
has been influenced by many other cultures, but over a piece
of time, not immediately. If I went to another country and
said hey take off that veil so I can see who I am talking too,
I would be killed, if not by her family members then by the
government of the country. Yet, they choose not to follow
our customs here in the U.S.A. ?

I repeat my statement from earlier. "GO HOME" If you do not like
the way something is handled here. OR better YET, apply and
become a Citizen and give up your citizenship elsewhere and
VOTE to change how things are done.

Just my opinion.

Rich

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

I'm 3rd generation American, NONE of my ancestors stole a thing!
:D

Had nothing to do with slavery either! :cool:

No problem Homey, you're with us now!:ultracool