埋伏 Ambush

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I looked up Ambush and there is no such word. Do you mean counters, traps and parries?

The redirect and counter assault?

An ambush is a long-established military tactic, in which combatants take advantage of concealment and the element of surprise to attack unsuspecting enemy combatants from concealed positions, such as among dense underbrush or behind hilltops. Ambushes have been used consistently throughout history, from ancientto modern warfare.

Ambush - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

ambush.png

This style came from 梁山Liang Sang, Shang Tong province, China.

Liang_Sang.jpg

liang_Sang_1.jpg

Last edited:

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but isnt mai fu quan one of the gazillion long fist styles in northern China?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When someone attacks you (assume no weapon involved), you can treat it as a chance to polish your "defense" skill.

When someone was attacking me I treated it as an attack on me and behaved appropriately, I did not look upon it as an opportunity to do anything other than do something I trained for and was looking to get out of.

What you are talking about when you say 'ambush' is not what you are talking about. You cannot ambush someone who is attacking you, you could wait behind a bush and attack him first, that would be an ambush. You've even posted that yourself but ambushing a person attacking you? No, not really, you mean something else.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not on some one taking Judo. They get training to do throws,take downs and fighting on the ground and training how to counter it too.

The principal still works. You just have to be better at doing it than the guy defending it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When someone was attacking me I treated it as an attack on me and behaved appropriately, I did not look upon it as an opportunity to do anything other than do something I trained for and was looking to get out of.

What you are talking about when you say 'ambush' is not what you are talking about. You cannot ambush someone who is attacking you, you could wait behind a bush and attack him first, that would be an ambush. You've even posted that yourself but ambushing a person attacking you? No, not really, you mean something else.

Well given he has explained the concept behind the word we could just call it ambush as he is trying to discuss it and save a thee page conversation on what everybody thinks an ambush is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well given he has explained the concept behind the word we could just call it ambush as he is trying to discuss it and save a thee page conversation on what everybody thinks an ambush is.

However the concept of ambush has nothing to do with what he is explain her thinks we could do when attacked, leaping backwards to have a think about whether to emigrate or not in no way constitutes an ambush does it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The art of skilled fighting is the continuing process of target collecting easily effortlessly unconsciously doing the right thing at the right time for the right effect - mindless violence." Gary Turner

Gary is a world champion kick boxer, fights MMA, is a hypno-therapist among many other things. Knows what he is talking about.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but isnt mai fu quan one of the gazillion long fist styles in northern China?
It's one branch of the long fist system.

"Who created the Embush (Mai Fu) system cannot be traced. This system use a fake move to set up a real move, the real move utilizes the fake move to set up ..."

Mai_fu.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However the concept of ambush has nothing to do with what he is explain her thinks we could do when attacked, leaping backwards to have a think about whether to emigrate or not in no way constitutes an ambush does it?

Like this.

Ambush.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like this.

Ambush.

Yep that's an ambush, quite cool. However, when face to face with your attacker, hitting him first then jumping backwards to contemplate life and the universe is not an ambush which is what was suggested if you have another read. I'm not sure why you have to think about emigrating, looking after your family etc but that was what was suggested.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep that's an ambush, quite cool. However, when face to face with your attacker, hitting him first then jumping backwards to contemplate life and the universe is not an ambush which is what was suggested if you have another read. I'm not sure why you have to think about emigrating, looking after your family etc but that was what was suggested.
- Pretend you don't want to fight, move back and retreat (at 0.39 and 0.51),
- when your opponent chases you, you suddenly turn around and attack him (at 0.43 and 0.55),

that's "ambush".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Pretend you don't want to fight, move back and retreat (at 0.39 and 0.51),
- when your opponent chases you, you suddenly turn around and attack him (at 0.43 and 0.55),

that's "ambush".

It's feinting.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, "虚招 (Xu Zhao) - fake move" is only partial commitment when apply a real move. It looks exactly like the real move. Since you don't commit yourself fully, it's easy to change whenever needed. Also if you miss it, it won't affect your own balance.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions