埋伏 Ambush

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The television programmes were called Monty Python's Flying Circus and were scripted as well as directed by the cast who are writers and actors. They went on to make films but all have their own careers as well. They aren't a 'troupe' at all, they have all apart from Graham Chapman who sadly died, been in serious mainstream plays, films and television dramas, a couple have directed films, all write serious literature, one writes music, another makes travel films.

Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors :happy:
L

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not that sure you know who Monty Python were if you think they are a 'comedy troupe'. The RSA have been known to put improvised works on btw
I have every Flying Circus episode, Holy Grail, Life of Brian, The Rutles, and most of Terry Gilliam's films on dvd. They were not a tv cast like Saturday Night Live or a breeding ground for comedians like Second City and Groundlings. They stayed together while enjoying successful careers on their own with films like Brazil, A Fish Called Wanda and Personal Services. Spamalot!

Wikipedia calls them a group not a troupe so I guess you win. :wacky:
Monty Python - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have every Flying Circus episode, Holy Grail, Life of Brian, The Rutles, and most of Terry Gilliam's films on dvd. They were not a tv cast like Saturday Night Live or a breeding ground for comedians like Second City and Groundlings. They stayed together while enjoying successful careers on their own with films like Brazil, A Fish Called Wanda and Personal Services. Spamalot!

Wikipedia calls them a group not a troupe so I guess you win. :wacky:
Monty Python - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

They haven't stayed together at all, they reunited once for a charity show that's it. They have very wide ranging careers but they haven't 'performed' together since the last film they did, many decades ago there than that one charity show. I watched them when they were first on television, they are my contemporaries, they wrote and performed Flying Circus as a group of young actors who wanted to do something different in the spirit of the Edinburgh Fringe rather than the comedians of the day. They have done far more than make films, have a good look.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know all about the Pythons. I posted the wiki page as well as my bona fides. Have a nice day if that's possible. Your profile pic is fitting.

Wasn't this originally an ambush thread?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know all about the Pythons. I posted the wiki page as well as my bona fides. Have a nice day if that's possible. Your profile pic is fitting.

Wasn't this originally an ambush thread?

Ah I see, it's a case of who 'wins' isn't it with you, you bring up an analogy to prove your point and are upset because the analogy is proved false. Then you go back to saying it's off topic when you yourself brought it off topic. personal insults are below you and not allowed on here btw. You do not know all about the pythons, a Wiki page can be hugely inaccurate by it's very nature. In another analogy this time to do with martial arts, you will find that reading on Wikipedia and watching something on video doesn't make you an expert on either Monty Python or martial arts.
BFI Screenonline The Roots of Monty Python

I suppose you don't want to know about the plays the RSC put on that are improvised? They don't just do Shakespeare despite their name.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I grew up on the Pythons as I have already mentioned and I didn't provide the wiki page for me. That was for you.

What is the difference between a comedy group and and a troupe? You seem to be the only one who knows. When are you going to educate the rest of us?

I haven't seen the RSC since my school days 30 years ago but Shakespeare is still Shakespeare even if they are now improvising Pinter.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up on the Pythons as I have already mentioned and I didn't provide the wiki page for me. That was for you.

What is the difference between a comedy group and and a troupe? You seem to be the only one who knows. When are you going to educate the rest of us?

I haven't seen the RSC since my school days 30 years ago but Shakespeare is still Shakespeare even if they are now improvising Pinter.

LOL, Really?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We did this a bit with how to be deceptive.

But to fight in a manner that is naturally progressive to you is also predictable. So it is important to break up the continuity of what you do and how you do it. And to do this you can insert pre trained combinations that are a bit left field. Like fakes and so on.

Wrestling you notice this more because it has more progression. But it is just as true for striking.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrestling you notice this more because it has more progression. But it is just as true for striking.
This is so true. In

- wrestling, when you try to throw your opponent forward and if he resists, you can borrow his resistance and throw him backward.

- striking, when you right punch 45 degree downward at your opponent's belly, if he tries to drop down his right arm to block it, his face will be exposed to your next punch. If you punch at his face and he tries to block it again, his groin will be exposed for your kick. If he tries to block your kick, his face will be exposed again. this kind of set up (strike low and strike high, strike high and strike low, ...) is commonly used in the praying mantis system. It can be seen at 0.04 in the following clip.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[MODERATOR]
Folks, in case you missed it, this is the General Martial Arts forums of MartialTalk. The topic is "Ambush". Not Comedy. Not Monty Python.
If you'd like to discuss those other topics, please do so. In a different thread and in the appropriate forum.
Thanks.
[/MODERATOR]

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is so true. In

- wrestling, when you try to throw your opponent forward and if he resists, you can borrow his resistance and throw him backward.

- striking, when you right punch 45 degree downward at your opponent's belly, if he tries to drop down his right arm to block it, his face will be exposed to your next punch. If you punch at his face and he tries to block it again, his groin will be exposed for your kick. this kind of set up is commonly used in the praying mantis system. It can be seen at 0.04 in the following clip.

Yes.
Quality fighters don't just achieve knockouts or submissions out of thin air. A quality opponent just wont let them. There are steps that get you there.

(there is a really good mike Tyson video of him explaining ko punches)

Now because there are steps that take you do these ko,s there is a little warning that it is coming and can be defended early.

To have a comprehensive game you are not just walking towards this finish. But also countering his attempts to stop you. It becomes this deeply layered chess match of attack defence and counter attack.

If your opponent is a Muppet you don't need to ambush or fake or apply these deep gamey methods. It is when your basics are being foiled that these come in to play.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]- striking, when you right punch 45 degree downward at your opponent's belly, if he tries to drop down his right arm to block it, his face will be exposed to your next punch. If you punch at his face and he tries to block it again, his groin will be exposed for your kick. If he tries to block your kick, his face will be exposed again. this kind of set up (strike low and strike high, strike high and strike low, ...) is commonly used in the praying mantis system. It can be seen at 0.04 in the following clip.

[/QUOTE]

How is this guy so fast!! :eek:

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
here are steps that take you do these ko.
If your opponent is as good as you, your 1st attack will always fail. You have 2 arms and 2 legs. Your opponent also has 2 arms and 2 legs. How to hit your opponent without being hit by your opponent will need some "ambush plan".

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[MODERATOR]
Folks, in case you missed it, this is the General Martial Arts forums of MartialTalk. The topic is "Ambush". Not Comedy. Not Monty Python.
If you'd like to discuss those other topics, please do so. In a different thread and in the appropriate forum.
Thanks.
[/MODERATOR]

To be honest though when you bring something up as an analogy it does have to be correct otherwise you do end up with the above conversation. If I said that you should emulate Fred Bloggs to win a fight because he punches like a fish and kicks like a cat, there would be a discussion afterwards. If you insist you are correct even after being shown you aren't by someone who actually knows Fred Bloggs it gets silly.:D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My analogy that fighting is improvised not scripted is spot on.

Just you picked the wrong subject to use as your analogy. Not all fighting is improvised, good MMA fighters have their moves planned out a couple of moves ahead. They know that if they do b technique, their opponent's head will go so which means they can then do c technique which their opponent will do d to get out off meaning they can do e and win. Other fighters such as boxers and karateka will also do this, they set up their moves. It is possible because my instructor doe it, in so called street fights to set up moves like this, it takes experience of course but can be done so for every rule there are always exceptions, nothing is written in stone.

Latest Discussions