Am I the only one?

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No you are not the only one. I count in English, Russian, French, German, Spanish, Korean or Chinese just for something mentally stimulating. I have to remember to count out loud in Korean in the Do-Jang, starting out with "Adeen, Dva, Tree" gets heads turning :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, I do it too... if only to mess with my math students!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I do the same thing and people look at me funny all the time.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other side of that, of course, is that one of my students, who is from Korea and has only been in the US 2-1/2 years, has been working so hard on his English that he doesn't want to count in Korean!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I count in Korean outside of class occasionally as well. Definitely gets me some unusual looks, and in one instance, a Korean gent struck up a conversation with me. He was a bit let down when I explained that I don't speak Korean beyond some counting and taekwondo and kumdo terminology. Nice fellow, we continued our conversation in English.

Daniel

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
No you are not the only one. I count in English, Russian, French, German, Spanish, Korean or Chinese just for something mentally stimulating. I have to remember to count out loud in Korean in the Do-Jang, starting out with "Adeen, Dva, Tree" gets heads turning :)

Ha, ha! Russian. :)

R. McLain

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I count in Korean outside of class often: both the Cardinal (Hana, duhl, set, net.) & the Ordinal (Il, ee, som, sa) for practice & to stimulate my brain. Besides, it's just fun.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm the only one who counts mentally in Korean when doing reps in a (non-Martial Arts) workout....

Truthfully FearlessFreep everyone here is messing with you as you are the only one.
icon10.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can count in English (obviously) Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish and German. No I do not speak all those but for some reason I can count in them. However unless I force myself I always count in English, but I am trying to force Chinese.

On a bit of a related side note; My wife is bilingual, damn close to trilingual (Chinese [Mandarin], English and Japanese) her native language is Mandarin and she can go back and forth between English and Mandarin pretty easily but she always counts and reads numbers in Mandarin to speak or read them any other way she has to stop and think about it

Edit

And I am sorry, could be that my youngest is not is school yet and we watch Winnie the Pooh but EVERY time I read the title of this post my brain starts to think&#8230;

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
The bottoms are made out of springs
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is
I'm the only one

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The other side of that, of course, is that one of my students, who is from Korea and has only been in the US 2-1/2 years, has been working so hard on his English that he doesn't want to count in Korean!

In my karate school (the Seido Honbu), all of the instructors count in Japanese, except for the 9th Dan Grand Master. He counts in heavily accented English :D That always cracks me up :D

Khengi

White Belt
Reaction score
You're not alone (obviously from all these posts). I'm almost fluent in Japanese, a few dialects, so I like to count in Japanese as high as the reps call for. Gets a few looks. Then I count in Korean (Hana, dul, set...) just to be like everyone else...

... Ichi... Ni... San... Yon...

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I was French, I'd count in French outside TKD. If I was German, I'd count in German outsdie TKD. Same if I was Russian or Mexican, or whatever.

I'm an American. Born in Texas, raised in Texas. A Texican. I count in English at all times except when I am leading a Taekwondo class. Then I count out loud in Koran.

And what is more, outside class, I DO NOT want students bowing to me. Shake my hand, yes. Call me 'Mr.', maybe. 'Master?', no (at least outside class, inside all TKD rules apply.) Still expect respect to all people outside or inside class, but not to bow. That's just my rule and everyone knows it.

Deaf

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're not alone (obviously from all these posts). I'm almost fluent in Japanese, a few dialects, so I like to count in Japanese as high as the reps call for. Gets a few looks. Then I count in Korean (Hana, dul, set...) just to be like everyone else...

... Ichi... Ni... San... Yon...

If you really want to get a few looks, try mixing them up:
ichi dul three shi net six nana yeodeol nine . . .

Dan

Latest Discussions