am i over looking judo for real self defence?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I know... that was more for others who might not have realized, and could have thought that there was one single way things were done in older systems... which we both know is just not the case.

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree. The one thing that sucks about practicing a striking art is that you have no idea if it will work. You can't send yourself or your classmates home with black eyes and less teeth every night. I mean, what would happen when you ran out of teeth? LOL But seriously, you can prove whether or not your judo works because if the guy is on the ground, then it means you threw him.

Then again, it IS a bit unrealistic to practice from a position where you both have your hands on each other already. In a street fight, someone might be coming at you from further out. So as long as the judo school has you practice entering and THEN getting your grip on someone, you'd be all set. (At the judo school I attended, I always saw people start off with their hands on the other person's gi already. It'd be more effective to start AT LEAST arm's length away, IMHO.)

You do not start with grips unless it is blind judo. You fight for your grips and also learn to break theirs to get in an advantageous position for the throw.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then again, it IS a bit unrealistic to practice from a position where you both have your hands on each other already. In a street fight, someone might be coming at you from further out. So as long as the judo school has you practice entering and THEN getting your grip on someone, you'd be all set. (At the judo school I attended, I always saw people start off with their hands on the other person's gi already. It'd be more effective to start AT LEAST arm's length away, IMHO.)

Starting with the grips in place is done for exercises that are focused just on the execution of the throws. Getting (and breaking) dominant grips is a whole area of study in itself and is very important for judo competition.

The point I was making in my earlier comment is that the types of grips used and the methods for achieving them that are appropriate for judo competition are very different than the grips and entries that you use when an opponent is trying to hit you. Many schools only practice the sportive grips and entries and not the more combative applications.

Mass

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, not much talk about Judo Ne Waza. Depending on what school you attend, Judo has great ground work too. So you have the throwing & ground work of (Judo) + what ever standup martial art you do = a complete art!

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Modern sport Judo is not recommended in self defence. You leave yourself open to strikes when attempting to grab and throw someone over.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern sport Judo is not recommended in self defence. You leave yourself open to strikes when attempting to grab and throw someone over.

Oh my. I suspect you're going to hear differently from people that, you know... are actual judoka...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

you leave yourself open to strikes when you try to hit someone as well.

for myself i believe in being able to strike and throw. Because that gives me the best chance.

but saying that a throw is not a viable defence against striking isn't accurate.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
you leave yourself open to strikes when you try to hit someone as well.

but saying that a throw is not a viable defence against striking isn't accurate.

Eh no, that's what a guard is for. Besides, I don't need to open myself up to kick someone at a distance.

for myself i believe in being able to strike and throw. Because that gives me the best chance.

Then your not using Judo, but Judo and striking. Judo in and of itself is dubious.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh no, that's what a guard is for. Besides, I don't need to open myself up to kick someone at a distance.

Then your not using Judo, but Judo and striking. Judo in and of itself is dubious.

i don't kick from a distance much because ironically i am concerned with being.taken down

saying.that.you should strike and.grapple.doesn't make.grappling.dubious. Judo will still work. Striking isn't inherently better than grappling.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't kick from a distance much because ironically i am concerned with being.taken down

saying.that.you should strike and.grapple.doesn't make.grappling.dubious. Judo will still work. Striking isn't inherently better than grappling.

I've tried it and he of course hit me over the eyes before slamming to the ground. I opted out from using any striking to not cause serious harm.

Any competent opponent could have headbutted me or done something much worse.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've tried it and he of course hit me over the eyes before slamming to the ground. I opted out from using any striking to not cause serious harm.

Any competent opponent could have headbutted me or done something much worse.

not sure what you mean.

i strike and grapple in training.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to start over and only focus on one art for self-defense it would be judo. I'd suggest it to anyone that came to me and asked. Im also adding several judo techniques to what I teach police recruits
WIshin' I could "like," and "agree," ballen.

Damn. "Shuttin' up!" KIds........

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Studying BJJ puts less emphasis on the standing game but much more on the ground game, and both are important. It's practiced against resisting opponents too and is more likely to be taught in a context where empty-hands striking/defense for non-sport or at least MMA applications is discussed. For self-defense I would suggest BJJ over Judo but both are good.
IMO it depends both have standing and ground games and time spent training each area can vary. It seems to me one could become proficient in BJJ quicker than judo, due to the technical complexity of throws. It also seems BJJ is easier on the body. Some BJJ schools offer a more self defense geared curriculum. But if I were starting martial arts all over I'd recommend judo. Dumping someone on their head is a sure fight ender.
I agree. The one thing that sucks about practicing a striking art is that you have no idea if it will work. You can't send yourself or your classmates home with black eyes and less teeth every night. I mean, what would happen when you ran out of teeth? LOL But seriously, you can prove whether or not your judo works because if the guy is on the ground, then it means you threw him.

A lot of wc guys seem to follow this line of thinking but boxers do it all day. Head gear, mouth guard, gloves, and a little restraint go a long way. When I teach FMA we wear headgear with a plastic face cage because we train elbows, and use mouth guards and MMA gloves. Everyone keeps their teeth and no on dies :).
Like this:

headhitground.png

Your throwing skill can last with you through your old age. Your striking skill may not.
Oh really?

Any attack include kicks from lounge range create openings that an experienced person can exploit. If mma has shown us anything it's that you can't defeat a skilled grappler with striking alone, but you can combine striking and grappling and defeat a superior grappler.