Alternating Maces

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will try to do my best to keep up with the technique of the week theme. This technique is not in my curriculum but I do know this one. Alternating Maces is not on my computer so there's no breakdown on each individual move for me to post. What are everybody's ideas, thoughts, likes, or dislikes of this technique? Does anyone have any variations they like? Let's get the talk rolling.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's how I was taught it when I first got into kenpo....

1. Slide your left foot to 6 to form a right neutral bow facing 12 with a right inward block to attackers left arm at or below the elbow.

2. As you shift to a right forward bow lay your right forearm across attackers arms checking them with a left vertical punch to the solar plexus.

3. Shifting back to a right neutral bow, crane hook the back of the left arm and as your pulling the attacker and pivoting to the neutral, hit with a right back knuckle to the temple.

How close am I?

:asian:

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Klondike93

Here's how I was taught it when I first got into kenpo....

1. Slide your left foot to 6 to form a right neutral bow facing 12 with a right inward block to attackers left arm at or below the elbow.

2. As you shift to a right forward bow lay your right forearm across attackers arms checking them with a left vertical punch to the solar plexus.

3. Shifting back to a right neutral bow, crane hook the back of the left arm and as your pulling the attacker and pivoting to the neutral, hit with a right back knuckle to the temple.

How close am I?

the 12 and 6 lines disects your body so as your right side will be on the 3 side and your left will be on the 9 side... if you step back to 6 you may be closer to a fighting horse. Not good cancels your own width. For the nuetral bow your step/slide might go to 7 or 7:30.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

if you step back to 6 you may be closer to a fighting horse. Not good cancels your own width. For the nuetral bow your step/slide might go to 7 or 7:30.

I'm not trying to be picky here, but that would depend on how you're stepping back, and how you were standing in the first place.

This technique starts from a "natural" standing position, not an attention stance.

If you step back with your left foot to 6 o'clock, then pivot into your neutral bow won't find yourself in a horse stance.

I feel that if you step to 7/7.30 then youalter your angles and not be on your attackers centerline.

Les

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Les

I'm not trying to be picky here, but that would depend on how you're stepping back, and how you were standing in the first place.

This technique starts from a "natural" standing position, not an attention stance.

If you step back with your left foot to 6 o'clock, then pivot into your neutral bow won't find yourself in a horse stance.

I feel that if you step to 7/7.30 then youalter your angles and not be on your attackers centerline.

Les

:rolleyes: Book 2 page 34 published in 1983 by Ed Parker. If you don't have Infinite Insights books I would suggest you purchase them they are full of the basic stuff and are the best reference material that I have seen.:eek:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Book 2 page 34 published in 1983 by Ed Parker. If you don't have Infinite Insights books I would suggest you purchase them they are full of the basic stuff and are the best reference material that I have seen.

Thanks for that, Rainman, the information contained on pages 33 to 36 of Infinite Insights Vol 2 is indeed very useful. (I do have the full set)

However, understanding the clock principle does not alter the fact that if you step towards 7.30 you have changed the;

Angle of Deflection
Angle of Entry
Angle of Incidence

In Alternating Maces, the technique is designed to dominate your opponents centerline. It's my feeling that if you step to 7.30 you are restricting your access to the opponents centerline.

Of course, it's only my opinion,

Les

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is how we teach Alternating maces..

2. ALTERNATING MACES (front- two handed push)
1. With your feet together, and as your opponent pushes you, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right
neutral bow stance, facing 12:00, while simultaneously executing a right inward block to the outside of your
opponent's left arm, while your left hand cocks to your left hip.
2. Immediately collapse your right arm across the lop of both of your opponent's arms (to act as a check), as you
deliver a left vertical thrust punch to your opponent's sternum or solar plexus, while torquing into a right forward bow
stance. Remember both stance change and punch must work in synchronization with each other in order to maximize
the force of the punch.
3. Have your left hand (after the punch, shift palm open and down) on top of both your opponent's arms (to check)
while simultaneously having your right hand rapidly travel inside of your left arm and out into a right outward back
knuckle strike to the right temple of your opponent, while pivoting back into a right neutral bow stance. (The torque
stemming from the stance change will greatly increase the whipping action of your right hand).
4. Immediately have your right hand snap back into a checking position.

Yesterday we were at a Tri-state Karate Tournament where a Kenpo Stylist 4th Dan was doing his Self defense technique.. Crisp, clean and very pretty. Nothing over a brown technique .. a Variation on Leap of Death and lo' and behold.. ALternating Maces.. His speed was awesome and it was devastating technique.. his uke was excellently trained ..
Alternating Maces maybe a beginner technique on paper.. but I can see it would cause some major damage!

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

Alternating Maces maybe a beginner technique on paper.. but I can see it would cause some major damage!

Just for fun, try inserting a right outward back-knuckle strike to the face straight after the block. (Use your opponents arm to launch this strike without any loss of momentum)

Your opponent is still coming forward from his pushing action, and this strike will cause his head to snap back, making the solar plexus an even more available target.

Les

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Les

Thanks for that, Rainman, the information contained on pages 33 to 36 of Infinite Insights Vol 2 is indeed very useful. (I do have the full set)

However, understanding the clock principle does not alter the fact that if you step towards 7.30 you have changed the;

Angle of Deflection
Angle of Entry
Angle of Incidence

In Alternating Maces, the technique is designed to dominate your opponents centerline. It's my feeling that if you step to 7.30 you are restricting your access to the opponents centerline.

Of course, it's only my opinion,

Les

Your centerline is the middle of the clock if you step to six you are stepping to where your spine was and you cross your own centerline. Too much time- the reverse punch has to stop momentum otherwise the opponent will be on you. You need to be open to the point where the reverse punch will stop a committed push. IN the first movements the right inward diagonal downward block will check width and the opponents body may slightly move to your left. If you put your left foot on the six the stop hit from the reverse punch to his centerline will not be in optimal alignment- You will not have proper body mechanics and you will not stop a committed action. ;)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see where stepping to 7 would put you on their centerline, but it looks like your moving into the right arm of the attack. If you just step back to 6 you extend the attack causing them to be a little off balance. Eh, maybe? Just a rookie you know.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Klondike93

I can see where stepping to 7 would put you on their centerline, but it looks like your moving into the right arm of the attack. If you just step back to 6 you extend the attack causing them to be a little off balance. Eh, maybe? Just a rookie you know.

On this particular tek zone cancellation by contact penetration is kind of a primary idea. Striking the left arm diagonally down will turn him slightly cancelling width and keeping the right away. It will also bring him into you (borrowed force) at an accelerated pace. Your left will aid in opposing forces by being brought to solar plexus for "1/4" beat timing into the reverse punch. Ba-bang pop is the timing signature I use for intermediates and down. The strike to the "sternum" is multipurposeful.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rainman named one, Borrowed force from the attacker "walking" into the left punch.

Cancelling the height zone from checking the arms with your right arm should be one.

Torque from you unwinding into the neutral bow with the back knuckle.

Help!!!

R

Rainman

I named more than that- width- path(diagonal down for block)-acceleration- I told yall about wasted motion (hand to solar plexus Vs. hip) If it is not wasted it is economical providing it hits the target with power etc. Contact Penetraition is the 3rd range.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

I will try to do my best to keep up with the technique of the week theme. This technique is not in my curriculum but I do know this one. Alternating Maces is not on my computer so there's no breakdown on each individual move for me to post. What are everybody's ideas, thoughts, likes, or dislikes of this technique? Does anyone have any variations they like? Let's get the talk rolling.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

2. ALTERNATING MACES: (front - two-handed attempted push)

1. Standing naturally, and as your opponent attempts to push you, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00). Simultaneously execute a right inward block while your left hand SLAP-CHECKS at your right shoulder. (Interlocking circles)

2. Immediately collapse your right arm, and deliver a right HAMMERING STRIKE to your opponent's upper right forearm near the bend of his arm, below the biceps. Then Immediately BOUNCE your SLAPPING CHECK into a left NATURAL punch (tracking over your right arm) to your opponent's ZYPHOID PROCESS at CV-16. This is done while pivoting into a right forward bow stance. Remember both the stance change and punch must work in synchronization with each other in order to maximize the force of your left punch. Immediately convert your left punch into a SLAPPING CHECK at the right shoulder as you simultaneously raise your right arm to an outward elbow position GCM. PAUSE

3. Deliver a right outward back-fist strike to base of your opponent's right ear. This is done from your right neutral bow stance with BODY MOMENTUM.

4. Execute your right leg crossover toward 7:00 WITH your right hand snapping back, and cover out facing your opponent in an on guard position in a neutral bow stance. Executed properly, this sequence should render unconsciousness.

Timing & Breathing Signature™: 1,2 P 3 C
GCM Signature™: G 1 G 2 G 3 G 4

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Doc

2. ALTERNATING MACES: (front - two-handed attempted push)

1. Standing naturally, and as your opponent attempts to push you, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00). Simultaneously execute a right inward block while your left hand SLAP-CHECKS at your right shoulder. (Interlocking circles)

Timing & Breathing Signature™: 1,2 P 3 C
GCM Signature™: G 1 G 2 G 3 G 4

I don't get how the slap ck is used... now I understand the notes for the gcm... pretty cool. I also dont get the numbers though for either. TH17 for the BK? I think it is around 7 for the ball of the foot 6:30 (my bad folks) by the time you finish pivoting into the left nuetral bow and where the heel ends up. If you could use planes, points or degrees I could understand path, rebound and return I think a little more clearly.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't get how the slap ck is used... now I understand the notes for the gcm... pretty cool. I also dont get the numbers though for either. TH17 for the BK? I think it is around 7 for the ball of the foot 6:30 (my bad folks) by the time you finish pivoting into the left nuetral bow and where the heel ends up. If you could use planes, points or degrees I could understand path, rebound and return I think a little more clearly.

TH or TW-17 same thing. The rest is in a state of flux. You cannot apply strict Newtonian Physical principles all the time to a living and breathing multiple interactive dynamic that changes from microsecond to microsecond. All things are relative to self and to each other.

Slapchecks are inherent in Advanced Kenpo, however they must be strictly taught. Executed incorrectly they can have a diasterously detrimental effect to oneself in combat. Sorry you don't understand. Don't attempt to micromanage footwork. It is the ultimate variable.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Doc

TH or TW-17 same thing. The rest is in a state of flux. You cannot apply strict Newtonian Physical principles all the time to a living and breathing multiple interactive dynamic that changes from microsecond to microsecond. All things are relative to self and to each other.

Slapchecks are inherent in Advanced Kenpo, however they must be strictly taught. Executed incorrectly they can have a diasterously detrimental effect to oneself in combat. Sorry you don't understand. Don't attempt to micromanage footwork. It is the ultimate variable.

I understand some things are just too complicated for this medium... However football is a game of inches, so is my idea of Kenpo which is becoming fractional in some areas. The more precise I get the better and easier it is to execute. Seemingly in my small world the variables are dwindling .That is just my interpretation at this point on the giant evolutional wheel of personal developement.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I understand some things are just too complicated for this medium... However football is a game of inches, so is my idea of Kenpo which is becoming fractional in some areas. The more precise I get the better and easier it is to execute. Seemingly in my small world the variables are dwindling .That is just my interpretation at this point on the giant evolutional wheel of personal developement.

I agree. The medium just doesn't allow for a true understanding of what must be proven physically ever so subtlely. One day face to face one on one I'll make your eyes bigger.;)

Latest Discussions