Almost served to death.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a little story about one of my partners who was involved in a pretty serious motor vehicle accident the other day.

Due to the economy and the great pay we in law enforcement recieve, many of us have to work overtime shifts for the Dept. of Transportation, private security jobs, etc. to make ends meet. These shifts are usually worked on our days off.

Whether we are on a regular duty shift or otherwise, we are usually doing something to serve and or protect others (I know that sounds cliche).

Anyway, the other day, one of my partners was working an overtime shift in a construction zone for the Dept. of Transportation. He was sitting in the coned off section approximately 5 to 6 feet in side the cones and away from the travel portion of the highway. He positioned his car about 50-60 yards from where the D.O.T. workers were and as we always do on these shifts, activated the emergency lights on his patrol car for better visibility. Ordinarily, these shifts are very quiet and uneventful. On this day, however, his shift would become unordinary.

A one ton dually pulling a four horse trailer was traveling northbound and veered off of the roadway and into the construction area and struck my partners vehicle in the rear end sending his vehicle into the ditch about 40 yards north and 30 yards east from where he had been. The trunk of the Dodge Charger, with all of the equipment we carry, was crushed midway through the rear seat on the driver's side. The dually ended up about another 20 yards further north.

The impact caused his seat to break and his head to whip back and into the gun racks that were mounted to the back of his headrest (we don't have cages behind our front seats). He was knocked unconscious for several minutes and suffered a concussion and significant lacerations to the back of his head. He was flown to the nearest trauma center and the car was a total loss.

It turns out that the driver of the pickup truck was a diabetic who takes two medications twice a day for his condition and who had not eaten anything. His blood sugar had gotten so low that it would not even read on the glucometer. He did not know where he was and did not know what had happened until later at the hospital.

We later learned that had his patrol car not been where it was, several of the D.O.T. workers would have been hit by the out of control truck and possibly killed.

So what is my point to this story? I guess that there are a few. One, we sacrifice time from our families even on our regularly scheduled days off to try and make a little extra money while at the same time protecting complete strangers. Second, We never know when something bad is going to happen. Third, please appreciate what your law enforcement officers, deputies, troopers, etc. do and what they mean for society. Fourth, if you have a medical condition, please do everything you can to ensure safety for yourself and others. This could have been you. Fifth, God is good to have spared all of the lives that could have been lost at this scene.

My partner came home with staples in his head and bouts with diziness. However he is home to enjoy his 1 yr. old daughter, his son, and his wife. He will be off for a little while (doctor"s orders), but will be back to do what we all love.

James