ALL STUDENTS OF Tang Soo Do!!!!!

K

Knifehand

There has been endless debate over the time i've been on MT on what Tang Soo Do really is. There seems to be several different versions of TSD that have nothing to do each other. How can so many different style fall under the same name?

Please respond with

Name of your Style (specificly):
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means:
How long you've been a student:
Any federation or organization you belong to:
Belt Rank:
Short history of your specific style:
Comments/questions:
How long you've been a student: 5 months
Any federation or organization you belong to: Professional Karate Schools of America, and The International Tang Soo Do Federation
Belt Rank: Yellow
Short history of your specific style: created by Master Hwang Kee after WWII
Comments/questions:
The goal of this is to find out exactly what Tang Soo Do really is.

OP
K

Knifehand

Originally Posted by Knifehand
Name of your Style (specificly): Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: Art of The Offensive and Defensive Hand (or Art of the Knifehand)
How long you've been a student: 5 months
Any federation or organization you belong to: Professional Karate Schools of America, and The International Tang Soo Do Federation
Belt Rank: Yellow
Short history of your specific style: created by Master Hwang Kee after WWII
Comments/questions:And you?

OP
Y

Yossarian75

Not really sure what you mean by several different versions of TSD. All modern TSD schools can trace thier lineage back to GM Hwang Kee. In the 1950's there were other TSD schools(Chung Do kwan etc) which were seperate from Hwang Kee but they became Tae Kwon Do.

All TSD schools today are offshoots from the original Moo Duk Kwan, the Moo Duk Kwan itself now teaches Soo Bahk Do which you could say is a different style of TSD. Some of the orgs which broke away from the MDK kept using the name.

As far as I have seen over the years there is very little difference between the different lineages. There may be a few different Hyung or they may be performed slightly differently, some train weapons, different one steps etc. If you saw someone from another lineage train you would recognise it as TSD. eg if I came and trained at your school I would know most of the curriculum(for my level) but would have to spend time making small adjustments to techniques/stances etc and learning one steps.

I am part of the World Tang Soo Do Association lineage, I am a cho dan with five years of training. We have different Kicho Hyung, onesteps/self defence, bong and knife hyung. GM J C Shin left the Moo Duk Kwan in the early 80's and formed his own org as did several other high ranking masters(CS Kim in 1984). I have been told TSD translates to China Hand Way but can also mean Knife Hand Way.

The modern history of TSD can be confusing at the best of times. One orgs version of events may be different from anothers and not always truthfull(my org tells me TSD is 2000 years old!!). Best thing to do is read as much as you can and make your own mind up.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree with your last statement, Yossarian75. I haven't done TSD for three years, but I'll give you my info anyways.

Name of your Style: Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: The China hand or way Or something like that (don't remember really).
How long you've been a student: 1 year
Any federation or organization you belong to: IMA ( www.imahg.net )
Belt Rank: 5th gup
Short history of your specific style: see above webpage
Comments/questions: none

mattkulma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Name of your Style: Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: well Soo Bahk Do means hand strike way
How long you've been a student: 12 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: U.S. Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation
Belt Rank: Ee Dan testing for Sam Dan
Short history of your specific style: created by Hwang Kee
comments/questions: none
-Matthew Kulma

OP
K

Knifehand

Yossarian75 said:
Not really sure what you mean by several different versions of TSD. All modern TSD schools can trace thier lineage back to GM Hwang Kee. In the 1950's there were other TSD schools(Chung Do kwan etc) which were seperate from Hwang Kee but they became Tae Kwon Do.

All TSD schools today are offshoots from the original Moo Duk Kwan, the Moo Duk Kwan itself now teaches Soo Bahk Do which you could say is a different style of TSD. Some of the orgs which broke away from the MDK kept using the name.

As far as I have seen over the years there is very little difference between the different lineages. There may be a few different Hyung or they may be performed slightly differently, some train weapons, different one steps etc. If you saw someone from another lineage train you would recognise it as TSD. eg if I came and trained at your school I would know most of the curriculum(for my level) but would have to spend time making small adjustments to techniques/stances etc and learning one steps.

I am part of the World Tang Soo Do Association lineage, I am a cho dan with five years of training. We have different Kicho Hyung, onesteps/self defence, bong and knife hyung. GM J C Shin left the Moo Duk Kwan in the early 80's and formed his own org as did several other high ranking masters(CS Kim in 1984). I have been told TSD translates to China Hand Way but can also mean Knife Hand Way.

The modern history of TSD can be confusing at the best of times. One orgs version of events may be different from anothers and not always truthfull(my org tells me TSD is 2000 years old!!). Best thing to do is read as much as you can and make your own mind up.
Well in what way can you differentiate one style from another? If they teach different things, and emphisize different aspect, aren't they different styles?
What i am trying to find out is, exactly how many variations of Tang Soo Do are there.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=349858#post349858

This is a heated debate over what Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan (my style) really means. Upnorthkyosa made a really good point:

There are many more splinter groups then just those six liniages listed. A lot of people belonged to this or that federation, but do not belong to it any more, yet they still pay their respects to the founder of their arts. It would be an interesting thread to put politics aside and really analyze what Tang Soo Do is.
The last sentence is what this is really about.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Name of your Style (specificly): Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: china hand
Any federation or organization you belong to: nope
Belt Rank: white
Short history of your specific style: Grandmaster Hwang Kee
Comments/questions: nope

OP
K

Knifehand

kid said:
Name of your Style (specificly): Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: china hand
Any federation or organization you belong to: nope
Belt Rank: white
Short history of your specific style: Grandmaster Hwang Kee
Comments/questions: nope
Hehe, your catching up in posts....

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
just doing my part. i actually started a game and its really fun check it out in the locker room if you want.

NoSword

White Belt
Reaction score
Name of your Style (specificly): Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: China Hand Way
How long you've been a student: 13 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: None
Belt Rank: 1st Dan
Short history of your specific style: Created by Hwang Kee
Comments/questions: None currently

OP
K

Knifehand

mattkulma said:
Name of your Style: Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: well Soo Bahk Do means hand strike way
How long you've been a student: 12 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: U.S. Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation
Belt Rank: Ee Dan testing for Sam Dan
Short history of your specific style: created by Hwang Kee
comments/questions: none
-Matthew Kulma
Good Luck on your test, sir.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Name of your Style (specificly): Tang Soo Do
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: China Hand Way or Empty Hand
How long you've been a student: 6 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: Korean something
Belt Rank: 1st Dan
Short history of your specific style: instructor left world tang soo do assoc
Comments/questions: Forms seem to be very similiar; i have noticed a marked difference in self-defense and one-steps. That it was seems to separate the splinter groups.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do is a blended martial art. It resembles Shotokan Karate in many ways. We share Okinawan forms. It also resembles Kung Fu. The Chil Sung and Yuk Ro forms are regularly mistaken for northern chinese styles. Also, if you study "tuite" or grappling, one can find many similarities to Jujutsu in Tang Soo Do. With all of this in mind, kicking is another huge aspect of the art. It's not taken to the extreme that TKD takes it, but it is emphasized.

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: Way of the Worthy Hand
How long you've been a student: 3 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: ?
Belt Rank: Cho Dan (just took my test)

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Name of your Style (specificly): Tang Soo Do, ITF-style (MDK offshoot?)

What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: "way of the worthy hand," "way of the defense-strike," "way of the Chinese (Tang) hand," among others.

How long you've been a student: Since June 1999

Any federation or organization you belong to: International Tang Soo Do Federation

Belt Rank: 2nd Dan

Short history of your specific style: http://internationaltangsoodofederation.com/about_itf.htm

Comments/questions: nothing comes to mind.

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: the way of china hand
How long you've been a student: 3 years in karate, 1 year in TSD
Any federation or organization you belong to: Polish Tang Soo Do Association (Cheezic Tang Soo Do Federation - Poland)
Belt Rank: 2nd gup (red with 2 stripes)
Short history of your specific style: created by Master Hwang Kee
Comments/questions: none

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There has been endless debate over the time i've been on MT on what Tang Soo Do really is. There seems to be several different versions of TSD that have nothing to do each other. How can so many different style fall under the same name?

Well this is not a hard question, lets remember that Remember, Tangsoodo is the Korean pronounciation of the characters "唐手道". These are the hanja used often to reference Karatedo of the Okinawan variety.
空手道, or Kongsoodo, also pronounced Karatedo in Japanese, is often used to reference Karatedo of the Japanese variety.
So lets ask, how can so many styles fall under the name of Karate? Its not that hard, its called RYU PA (Water Flows Down Divided) The natural change of martial arts over the years, and hence branches of the art. All yudanja find there own path, and Kodanja follow their own path...its not a hard concept the grasp.
Anyway

Name of your Style (specificly): Hwa Shin Tang Soo Do
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: CHINA HAND WAY
How long you've been a student: 13 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: National Korean Martial Arts Association, Mi Guk Kwan, ITSDA
Belt Rank: 3rd Dan
Short history of your specific style: Culmination of years of practice and ryu pa. Reaches into the classical okinawan roots, and branches into classical korean arts as well.
Comments/questions: None

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you've been told Tang Soo Do means: Way of the China Hand
How long you've been a student: 17 years
Any federation or organization you belong to: World Tang Soo Do Association,
Belt Rank: 3rd Dan
Short history of your specific style: Founder H W Kee established the Korean Soo Bohk Do Association November 9, 1945, Master JC Shinn was sent to the US to Start the US Tang Soo Do Federation in 1968 under the Korean Soo Bohk Do Association, lasted until early 80's when he split off and started the WTSDA November 13, 1982., Many others followed after this.
Comments/questions: Mastering Tang Soo Do is becoming one with Nature in the mind, body and spirit.

Latest Discussions