All Forms Has Its Worth

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's been alittle debate about forms classical or not. Forms are the basis (systematic routine) if you will to train our system to respond to a given situation. What techniques you decided to use is dependant upon you and the situation at hand.

If you consider our life is a form, how was act, move, think etc. Boxers have their left right combinations, now whether its thrown perfectly nevertheless its your basis. A sidekick no matter whether it's chambered, thrown high or low there's a basic form on how to. Grappling the same. So therefore lets not get caught up on whether forms are useless or not. Ask the street fight even he has his own form or method of tagging someone.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been alittle debate about forms classical or not. Forms are the basis (systematic routine) if you will to train our system to respond to a given situation. What techniques you decided to use is dependant upon you and the situation at hand.

If you consider our life is a form, how was act, move, think etc. Boxers have their left right combinations, now whether its thrown perfectly nevertheless its your basis. A sidekick no matter whether it's chambered, thrown high or low there's a basic form on how to. Grappling the same. So therefore lets not get caught up on whether forms are useless or not. Ask the street fight even he has his own form or method of tagging someone.

What you say is very true, and also the worth of all forms lie within repetition. Head knowledge is good, but truly owning the moves through thousands of repetitions is crucial.

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Once again another response from you I've got to keep in mind:) Thanks

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What you say is very true, and also the worth of all forms lie within repetition. Head knowledge is good, but truly owning the moves through thousands of repetitions is crucial.
But as artist we are only bound by the limitations of our own freewill. Forms give us foundation of movement in life, by repetition we find freedom to think outside that which we see, and to.... feel the movement & its effects on everything around us. It is through this that we find the Variables & opportunities of any single Technique, these variables & opportunities, through the progressive workings of both mind & body may in time by this repetition, pioneer the science of martial strstegy to a higher realm of consciousness.

"Always try to think outside the Traditional Box"

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But as artist we are only bound by the limitations of our own freewill. Forms give us foundation of movement in life, by repetition we find freedom to think outside that which we see, and to.... feel the movement & its effects on everything around us. It is through this that we find the Variables & opportunities of any single Technique, these variables & opportunities, through the progressive workings of both mind & body may in time by this repetition, pioneer the science of martial strstegy to a higher realm of consciousness.

Yes indeed. This is the transformation that takes place when we no longer "do martial arts" we become the artist of our style. The true essents of the martial artist is to grow from what he has learned through freedom of expression. It does us no good to mimic our Sensei, but to make the art we study, our own, and to feel it to our bones.:asian:

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Th trouble with forms and katas is that some students take them far too literally. The forms are a rough guide about your parameters, structures and movement. They arent gospel

I often think of them as a collection of moves that help you to remember and train techniques in a nice smooth sequence. People who go into a fight thinking they can stand there and do a kata to beat their opponent is dreaming. I know it worked for Daniel Laruso in Karate Kid Part 3, but this is the real world

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I like about the Wing Chun forms are that they are not a series of choreographed movements for fighting off hordes of imaginary multiple attackers.

This method of forms training is very limited in context , it is just trying to recreate an imaginary fighting situation. Which is fine if you get attacked the way it is scripted in your fantasy fighting form .
But the truth is that fighting is totally random and abstract in nature and you could be attacked in many different ways.

The Wing Chun forms focus on training a small repertoire of basic movements that can be applied in any fighting situation.
Each of these techniques have many multiple applications

There are also exercises contained within to strengthen the wrists , cultivate force , balance , stance and the ability to respond by reflex with the correct technique to an attack.
They also contain the core concepts and principles of the system.

It is a bit like being able to play chess and understand the rules of the game and being able to think for yourself in planning your strategy in moving the chess pieces rather than just copying a series of pre-determined chess games.

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Th trouble with forms and katas is that some students take them far too literally. The forms are a rough guide about your parameters, structures and movement. They arent gospel

I often think of them as a collection of moves that help you to remember and train techniques in a nice smooth sequence. People who go into a fight thinking they can stand there and do a kata to beat their opponent is dreaming. I know it worked for Daniel Laruso in Karate Kid Part 3, but this is the real world
True they are a collection of moves that give us understanding of Direction, Angle, Balance, Leverage & Rooting,... etc. But they also give us a true understanding of "Kyusho" pressure point defense....but many times we fail to see the true meaning behind each Technique, its Variables & option or Opportunities, this would be the same as exploring & adjusting to random attacks that would confront you on the street, without risk of injury. By constant knowing & understanding of movemnt in training we progress to state of understanding......."Transition".......its transition of movement thats most important, and can only be learned by the practce of Movement, Forms, Katas....or Drills.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People who go into a fight thinking they can stand there and do a kata to beat their opponent is dreaming. I know it worked for Daniel Laruso in Karate Kid Part 3, but this is the real world

How about if your opponent collapses unconscious against a post? Then you could do the dummy form. Hey, it worked for Donnie Yen in the movie Yip Man! Except, in the real world you might have to use duct tape to hold him up. I'm still working on the problem of how to keep his arms sticking out... unless he was already dead and stiff, and that's kinda gross. Wait, I see another movie here: Wing Chun Weekend with Bernie!

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK I guess you could just go out and look for fights to test your Technique, rather than spend long hours, doing boring forms & countless drills.......Hey and after about 2000 or so fights you'll have things figured out?........ "But you may want to consult your Doctor first"

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok...we eliminated the boring forms and along with it all those shameful drills.....so all thats left is sparring.....Hummmmmm...We'll since sparring isn't the real Mcoy either......."Sorry, I'll only spar...with classmates I know...or train from this gym"....or "Remember no eye poking or biting".....& " Whats that?...you can't bring a knife, to a sparring match?"

We'll lets all just.....Skip class today and have a few beers down at Andy's Sports Bar......see if we can get into some trouble with those new Technique's we learned last week!