Alex Gong murdered in San Franciso

A

A.R.K.

Very sad indeed.

Reading the story I couldn't help but wonder that there is more to this story yet untold. Chasing a car barefoot, stolen plates etc etc....

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ARK... pm me if you want to know what I think. It's not a good idea for me to post it here.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Gong was slain overnite in San Francisco. I have no details except their was a car accident and Alex was shot to death.
Mods if this is the wrong place to post this, please move it appropriately.

Let me be the first to wish his family condolences.

:asian: :asian: :asian:

I'm sorry I tried deleting this post after seeing it already posted but I was denied access.

Mods please go ahead and delete it, Thanx.
James

P

Pat Davies

our thoughts are for all the familly of Alex

be strong, hes just moved on

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The killer killed himself in a police stand off. He was a parolee in violation of parole as a no show, and a convicted felon for weapons charges and car theft. He admitted to his girl about killing Gong and refused to go back to prison, so he shot himself when the police came for him.

story here. . .

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/08/05/STANDOFF.TMP&nl=top

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/peninsula/6460772.htm
Man wanted by cops kills self
HE WAS SOUGHT IN SLAYING OF KICKBOXING CHAMP IN S.F.
By Jessie Seyfer
Mercury News

A man whom San Francisco detectives believed to be a suspect in the Friday shooting death of a world kickboxing champion killed himself Monday in a South San Francisco motel room, ending a 12-hour standoff with authorities, police said.

The man, whose name has not been released pending confirmation by the San Mateo County coroner, shot himself in the head at about 12:30 p.m. in an upstairs room at a South San Francisco Travelodge.

Police believe he may have been the person who, on Friday afternoon in San Francisco, sideswiped 32-year-old professional athlete Alex Gong's car, drove away, then shot Gong in the chest when he chased after the man.

Gong, who practiced a kind of kickboxing known as Muay Thai, was a 1999 International Sport Karate Association middle-weight world champion and held three national titles in the 1990s. He helped found kickboxing gyms in Daly City and San Francisco, both called Fairtex. Gong was working in the San Francisco gym when his car was struck.

Police and friends there said Gong, barefoot and still wearing training gloves, ran after the man driving a green Jeep Cherokee for more than a block, and confronted the driver while stopped at a stoplight.

At some point, the driver shot Gong in the chest. By some accounts, the driver had waited for the light to turn green before shooting, but San Francisco police spokesman Neville Gittens said police weren't certain that was true. Some gym patrons claimed the driver had been selling drugs in the area that day, but police could not confirm that either on Monday.

Police do not believe the two men knew each other.

The man was driving a Jeep that had been stolen from a Pacifica resident. A stolen license plate also was attached to the car, which Millbrae police found abandoned at a Chevron station on Skyline Boulevard late Friday. Evidence in the abandoned Jeep linked a parolee to Gong's killing, police said.

About 12 a.m. Monday, police got a tip that the parolee was staying at the Travelodge on South Airport Boulevard. They quickly surrounded the room and evacuated about 15 other occupied rooms.

A special weapons and tactical team kept their rifles trained on the room for hours while negotiators spoke with the man periodically on the phone, said South San Francisco police Sgt. Mike Brosnan.

At about 6:30 a.m., a woman who had been staying with the man, and who had been trying to persuade him to give himself up, left the motel room, Brosnan said. She was not considered a hostage.

The woman was taken to the South San Francisco Police Department, where she spoke to detectives for several hours, Brosnan said.

Communication with the man broke down at that point, despite the fact that police continued to try and hail him with bullhorns. Police then broke the room's front window, and used a so-called flash-bang concussion grenade to ``make sure he was awake,'' Brosnan said.

At about 12:30 p.m., SWAT officers heard a single gunshot, and 15 minutes later entered an adjacent room. The man was dead, lying on a bed frame with a mattress half on top of him, Brosnan said. He had made a hole in the sheetrock wall and had crawled through to the adjacent room, Brosnan said.

News of the death brought little solace to Gong's friends, who gathered at his San Francisco kickboxing gym on Clementina Street in the South of Market neighborhood. There, saddened fellow athletes milled about, looking at the floor. Outside, about 25 bouquets of flowers had been pasted to the gym's window.

Friends said Gong, who had studied business at San Francisco State University, was a fierce competitor who ran the gyms fairly and efficiently. He had recently started selling kickboxing gear, said Michael Regnier, a friend from San Diego.

Gong would hold staff meetings and sternly address certain problems as they arose. But by the end of the sessions, Gong would broaden the issue -- whether it was inefficiency or laziness -- to be more than just about work.

He would say, ``It's not just about the gym, it's about life in general,'' recalled employee and friend Rodney Mirasol.

Regnier said his friend had a sort of dual personality, one that embraced the humbling and spiritual aspects of martial arts and another that relished the sport's tough, confrontational aspect.

A memorial service for Gong was scheduled for Thursday, but a location has not been determined.

Latest Discussions