Alan Lee's temple in NYC?

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I left a VM with the White Crane place on Canal St...
I asked everyone to give me a month to sort through all the options, so hopefully I'll get a chance to visit a number of these places.

Yep.
Good way of "leaving it".
Sounds like they "want you".
Prices are 'way higher than they used to be.
Even so, 5 guys at $20 a head per lesson is a fairly decent incentive to start a semi-private class. Works out to @ $160/month each... cheap, if what I've been hearing is accurate with group class rates going up to $200/month some places. Manhattan might well be in the high end of the pricing matrix.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I can't expect everyone to be at the phone when I call, so I don't mind leaving a message. Especially if it comes out to less than 160 each per month. That strikes me as a bit high, to be honest. I'd rather we get into a regular class than a private class, because I don't want people feeling they have to stay if it turns out they hate it after 2 months.

To Nebuchadnezzar, I am looking exclusively at Chinese systems at the moment. If you know of a great Aikido school though, please feel free to PM me the info. One of my brothers who has dan rank in Shotokan was looking for a good Aikido school recently.

thanks again

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I can't expect everyone to be at the phone when I call, so I don't mind leaving a message. Especially if it comes out to less than 160 each per month. That strikes me as a bit high, to be honest. I'd rather we get into a regular class than a private class, because I don't want people feeling they have to stay if it turns out they hate it after 2 months.

To Nebuchadnezzar, I am looking exclusively at Chinese systems at the moment. If you know of a great Aikido school though, please feel free to PM me the info. One of my brothers who has dan rank in Shotokan was looking for a good Aikido school recently.

thanks again

Can do!

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate the tip Sensei Tom, and all the other tips I've gotten as well. I actually live just south of Philly near Cherry Hill, and am looking for something close to my office in Manhattan.

jim

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just a note:

I am a long time CMA guy (taiji, Xingyi, Sanda [Sanda not so long]) but if I lived closer to NYC I would likely check out the Fighthouse for Systema.

mfinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Master Yu Cheng Hsiang is the real deal. Teaches on Weds evenings and Saturday and Sunday mornings at 19 Murray Street, 3rd floor. Taijiquan 108- posture form, Shaolin Temple forms, sword, stick and very, very traditional. The best I ever saw, and I have been aorund this stuff since 1970.

But he doesn't make it easy. For every 20 students who show up, maybe 1 sticks. He teaches everyone. No senior student hoo-haw. But he demands you practice daily. Just too hardcore for most.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Yu Cheng Hsiang is the real deal. Teaches on Weds evenings and Saturday and Sunday mornings at 19 Murray Street, 3rd floor. Taijiquan 108- posture form, Shaolin Temple forms, sword, stick and very, very traditional. The best I ever saw, and I have been aorund this stuff since 1970.

But he doesn't make it easy. For every 20 students who show up, maybe 1 sticks. He teaches everyone. No senior student hoo-haw. But he demands you practice daily. Just too hardcore for most.

Sorry I missed this one when it was new! Any phone number for Master Yu? I'm guessing there's no website :lol:

thanks again

jim

Latest Discussions