AKKI: Shaping the Future of Kenpo?

What is your opinion on the AKKI and it's direction?

• AKKI is leading us all to a superior form of Kenpo

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Average AKKI member has a higher level of skill than the average member of another Association

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • AKKI members are just doing 'old' EPAK in a 'new' way

• There is nothing special about the AKKI. Just another Org.

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • I don't know enough about this issue to make a valid judgement

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • AKKI members do not do American Kenpo

• I don't care; I'm doing what I love

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I am an AKKI member

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • I am not an AKKI member

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • What the heck is an "AKKI"?

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is the AKKI leading us?
multiple selections allowed

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
leading ??? to where??:idunno:
Back to the Future, Marty! (wish they had a smiley delorian[or is it Delorean?])

Not sure really. Speediness, maybe? After all the hub-bub on KenpoTalk between the AKKI guys and the LTKKA guys I thought I'd put out a poll to see who really cares one way or the other.

I see we already have one vote for the average AKKI member being more skilled.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shaping A future of kenpo, just as is every other kenpo teacher out there. I do not believe, even for a second, that we are seeing the next Dune Messiah rising to power on the great kenpo horizon.

There are a lot of guys out there doing some pretty cool schnizzle, on par with -- or better than -- the AKKI innovations. A fair comparison would involve bringing them together for evaluation by a panel of impartial judges, and in kenpo, that just ain't gonna happen. Too many people, too heavily invested in their own confidence. (acu-flap for buying their own B.S.)

:bs: (the true flag of self-appointed kenpo messiahs?)

I'm sure Mr. Mills is on to some neat stuff. I'm also sure the other guys are too.

Regards,

Dave

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly: I mean you NO offense....
but this Poll is weird, I'm not certain what you are getting at.
Here's the basic logic of it:
The AKKI is an organization, it doesn't 'lead' anyone. There are Leaders WITHIN the AKKI (GM Paul Mills, Board of Directors, Regional Reps, instructors)...but their influence is only over those who are within the AKKI, meaning theAKKI leadership only leads AKKI students.

Maybe if you helped us understand what the point of this poll is, maybe then we could form some kind of discussion.
But in the meantime....it's just kinda weird. :idunno:

Your Brother
John

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Honestly: I mean you NO offense....
but this Poll is weird, I'm not certain what you are getting at.
Here's the basic logic of it:
The AKKI is an organization, it doesn't 'lead' anyone. There are Leaders WITHIN the AKKI (GM Paul Mills, Board of Directors, Regional Reps, instructors)...but their influence is only over those who are within the AKKI, meaning theAKKI leadership only leads AKKI students.

Maybe if you helped us understand what the point of this poll is, maybe then we could form some kind of discussion.
But in the meantime....it's just kinda weird.
No offense taken! It is kind of weird. It stemmed from watching the never-ending, seemingly circular arguments over on Kenpo Talk. I guess that's been going on alot longer than I've known about, though.
I made a bet with myself that the majority of votes would go to the "I don't care; I'm doing what I love" catagory. The other selections were just filling space. I honestly didn't expect to see anyone vote for any of the other options. Oh well.
It's more a matter of a 'do what you love and meet your responsibilities; the rest is just filling space' kind of thing. Why all the hostility?

I'm willing to wager that the AKKI as a whole will be just like any other group that strides on amidst constant antagonism. Nothing tests and cements loyalty better than difficulty.

An organization without members is not an organization at all; it's just words on a sheet of paper/web page. From the least to the greatest, an association is it's membership.

Thank you for your courtesy, Brother John. I welcome all opinions.

L

lonekimono10

Theban_Legion said:
Back to the Future, Marty! (wish they had a smiley delorian[or is it Delorean?])

Not sure really. Speediness, maybe? After all the hub-bub on KenpoTalk between the AKKI guys and the LTKKA guys I thought I'd put out a poll to see who really cares one way or the other.

I see we already have one vote for the average AKKI member being more skilled.
i just want to let you know that my name is George not Marty
yea i know you are talking about the movie, but still i was not being rude to you and i see no reason for the name insert,
and as for your post, i think that Brother john said it best.
have a great "kenpo" day

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
i just want to let you know that my name is George not Marty
yea i know you are talking about the movie, but still i was not being rude to you and i see no reason for the name insert,
It was a random attempt at humor. I was not mocking you or your post.

L

lonekimono10

Theban_Legion said:
It was a random attempt at humor. I was not mocking you or your post.
oh ,ok i love humor, u know it would have been funny if you said

"Hello Mcfly" i would have laughed
but thats ok , tell your teacher(if he is your teacher, i don't know) that George said Hello.:)

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, here is one of the issues:

whatever inovations the leaders of the AKKI come up with will not stay proprietary information. Members will come and go; whatever the membership learns that is of value they will take with them. They WILL show others what they have learned.
They will take the D1/D2 applications, timing drills, tailored techniques, and whatever else back to where they came from, or on to a new art. As much as anyone would like to keep these inovations solely within the membership of the AKKI, it will not happen.

So, is the AKKI leading US to a new form of Kenpo? Whether you study Kara-Ho Kenpo, EPAK, or MMA wouldn't you accept new concepts that make your skills more effective? Maybe something that carves the way for you to strike just a little faster? A little harder?

I am aware of Mr. Gorham's departure from the AKKI. I do not know the man, and I am not willing to speak for him; however, a highly skilled instructor such as he would surely continue with the beneficial concepts he has learned. This impacts whoever comes in contact with his instruction, no?

The first option in this poll was about the AKKI leading us. This is what I meant. The information will not stay solely within the AKKI, and if it is truly innovative then it will (probably already is) spread like wild fire. Members will go and do their own thing. The knowledge goes with them.

So, if anyone has an appreciation for what this organization is accomplishing, tell me, is the AKKI impacting all of Kenpo?

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
oh ,ok i love humor, u know it would have been funny if you said

"Hello Mcfly" i would have laughed
but thats ok , tell your teacher(if he is your teacher, i don't know) that George said Hello.:)
I KNEW i screwed that joke up! dang it...missed out on a chuckle.:)

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I do not believe, even for a second, that we are seeing the next Dune Messiah rising to power on the great kenpo horizon.
Dune Messiah, what a great reference!

There are a lot of guys out there doing some pretty cool schnizzle, on par with -- or better than -- the AKKI innovations. A fair comparison would involve bringing them together for evaluation by a panel of impartial judges, and in kenpo, that just ain't gonna happen. Too many people, too heavily invested in their own confidence.
I'm sure Mr. Mills is on to some neat stuff. I'm also sure the other guys are too.
Awesome idea! Yeah, it would never happen, but I would love to see everyone come together in the spirit of discovery.

Dang good post Dave!

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK I voted, but I have to admit I am really wary of this type of poll. It just seems set up for another flame war. My prediction is pretty soon our favorite AKKI bashers will get on, we will argue about the exact same isues we alwys do, soembody wil be derogitory and this thread will be locked by the moderators.
Personally I love the AKKI. But like any Martial art it will only give you what you put into it. Its not magic. Its all about applying the concepts principles, and above everything else putting in the sweat. This is true for all flavors of Kenpo. It can all be effective, depending how much of yourself you give to it. I don't think anyone in the AKKI would invalidate anyone elses kenpo. By and large we just tend to be happy with the resluts we get. If you get the same results with what you do great. That's how it should be.
For me it has given me a betterunderstadning of Kenpo, I move better, more explosive and hit harder and faster. I can do more with less effort. Notice I say for me.
So any takers on how soon this thread goes to pot?

Brian Jones

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
It just seems set up for another flame war. My prediction is pretty soon our favorite AKKI bashers will get on, we will argue about the exact same isues we alwys do, soembody wil be derogitory and this thread will be locked by the moderators.
It wasn't a set up for another flame war, but now that you mention it, it could easily turn into one.

Personally I love the AKKI. But like any Martial art it will only give you what you put into it. Its not magic. Its all about applying the concepts principles, and above everything else putting in the sweat. This is true for all flavors of Kenpo. It can all be effective, depending how much of yourself you give to it.
Right on! That's just beautiful, man.

I don't think anyone in the AKKI would invalidate anyone elses kenpo. By and large we just tend to be happy with the resluts we get. If you get the same results with what you do great. That's how it should be.
For me it has given me a betterunderstadning of Kenpo, I move better, more explosive and hit harder and faster. I can do more with less effort. Notice I say for me.
So any takers on how soon this thread goes to pot?
Honestly, I'm surprised that it hasn't "gone to pot" already. Maybe we will get a good, honest discussion like Brother John wanted.

Where the heck is the leadership of the AKKI taking Kenpo to? If we were able to get Master Mills and Doc Chapel together curriculum wise, I wonder where THAT result would lead...

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
DOc and Mr. Mills don't have to put anything together. See that's teh beauty of Kenpo. It is so multifacted there is room for SL4 and what the AKKI is doing. And doing one, as I said before, doesn't negate the other. As to where the AKKI is taking Kenpo, I amnot sure I'm in the least qualified to make that prediction. All I know is that people in the AKKI don't move like anyone slese. And I have found very few (Ok none personally) who have come to teh AKKI and been disapointed. Most report great imporovemtns in how they move, more explosive power and speed. One thing I hear and its not mentioned very often is becuase we emphsize moving in the d1, D2 patterns there is less wear and tear on the body (always a good thing)
Yes some have turned up thier noses ..."this is nothing new". And that is their right. Doesn't bother me in the least. To me the AKKI is an invesment. you only get out of it what you put into it. But if you are willing to put the time in, I beleive you will happy with what you get in return.

Brian Jones

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today many people practice more than one art! Lots of schools has teachers whose backgrounds will influence the changes. Not only in AKKI but all others too.

To say AKKI is shaping the future of Kenpo? Maybe it's future? for it self!

As our Professor and his Chief Instructors(Universal Kempo-Karate) who meets regular, and train together are always bringing new things in our learning. Every year at our annual Seminar there are new things to bring back to our own schools. The process is on going. Also new ways of doing our regular stuffs. Old days- after taking the person down we had to learn to hit 9 times, than it change to do only what is necessary to end it. Now we are doing 5 strikes after ever take down. Less KI's more "grunting! "

If your school is not changing to modern world, How come?.....Aloha

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
DOc and Mr. Mills don't have to put anything together. See that's teh beauty of Kenpo. It is so multifacted there is room for SL4 and what the AKKI is doing. And doing one, as I said before, doesn't negate the other.
I totally agree with you Brian. I was just musing on the possiblities...:) I think that last sentance says everything. There is room for everyone. I did an easy calculation of the possible combinations of 16 basic movements(16factoral); the result was 20.9 Trillion possible useful, useless, and unuseful techniques. No one human could explore all of these possiblities in his/her life-time. There truly is room for everyone.

One thing I hear and its not mentioned very often is becuase we emphsize moving in the d1, D2 patterns there is less wear and tear on the body (always a good thing)
This i was not aware of. I'd love to hear more about the how Kenpo can cause wear and tear on the body.

Yes some have turned up thier noses ..."this is nothing new". And that is their right. Doesn't bother me in the least. To me the AKKI is an invesment. you only get out of it what you put into it. But if you are willing to put the time in, I beleive you will happy with what you get in return.
Excellent point!

I enjoyed your post, Sir! Love to hear more.

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
As our Professor and his Chief Instructors(Universal Kempo-Karate) who meets regular, and train together are always bringing new things in our learning. Every year at our annual Seminar there are new things to bring back to our own schools. The process is on going. Also new ways of doing our regular stuffs.

If your school is not changing to modern world, How come?.....Aloha
Great post, man! I honestly don't think that the average Kenpo guy/gal hears enough about new perspectives. Maybe from their own school or association, but there isn't a single body/group/org that compiles new information from multiple sources and allows it's dissemination to any group or individual that wants to learn. I'd love to see something like that come to pass.

Thanks for chimming in!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Great post, man! I honestly don't think that the average Kenpo guy/gal hears enough about new perspectives. Maybe from their own school or association, but there isn't a single body/group/org that compiles new information from multiple sources and allows it's dissemination to any group or individual that wants to learn. I'd love to see something like that come to pass.

Thanks for chimming in!
You're almost right, you should've been to the last LTKKA camp last month, I think you would've been shocked.

DarK LorD

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clyde's right!
The LTKKA has large 'get togethers' where lots and lots of people come and share ideas and instruction and such.
The AKKI also has large 'get togethers' every six months where everyone from our top-brass on down share ideas, we all get instruction and there's great comraderie (s/?). (We also have a Christmas get-together as well)
Last I knew the AKKS had good get togethers.
I think that Mr. Picks group (sorry....forget the letters) has'm, as does "Kenpo 2000" under Mr. Hancock..

I think the Kenpoworld has Good get togethers....
really, it's a tradition started by Mr. Parker.....a Polynesian who just plain knew how to hold a GOOD BBQ !!!!!

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions