AKKA - Shorinji Toraken Ryu Kempo ?

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Seig
Searcher,
I do not know much about the group, but I have known one of the members for about 20 years. Master Robert Zingg is a good friend and a damned fine Martial Artist. If you get in touch with Master Zingg, you will get honest no Bull-Shido answers.
This thread doesn't belong in the Shorinji Kempo forum, though; it's a completely separate art.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my students in moving to North Carolina. Is this a good school tecnique wise? I'm not asking if they are using the term Soke correctly or incorrectly. but if thet are reputable

Thanks

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, I have studied (a little) about the term "Soke" and have found varying opinions on this as well (all from credible Japanese "traditionalist" types). It seems that it is ok to use the term Soke if your system is a lineage "famliel" system (not necessarily Martial Arts, but could apply to MA). I have also heard that to use the term Soke for a founder of a system is WRONG!!!! Well I find it interesting that the late Okuyama sensei of Hakko Ryu used the term as in Sodai-Soke (First Generation Head of Family) and the late Hayashi sensei of Hayashi Ha Shito Ryu used the term Soke as well. It seems that the opinions keep going and going......As far as an American using the term (keeping in mind that the term has been misused and ABUSED by alot of Americans) but if it is ok for MA in the West to use terms such as Sensei, Shihan, Sempai, Kohai, etc, etc, it seems that Soke should be no different (when used correctly).
I certainly do not see the problem with a Westerner using Japanese terminology to tie their teachings to the source where they come from. It could be viewed as a way of honoring the past. Just a thought.
As far as Toraken Ryu...I have heard a little about the group and except some misunderstandings of the use of some Japanese terms that I have seen, I have heard they are ok guys that train hard.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was in the Army in 1984 and studied under Dr. James Cherry as part of my SWAT / Counter-Terrorism and Hostage Rescue Training. He was awesome!!

I don't know anything about the group he has founded (AKKA), but I know that Dr. Cherry was a great teacher.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but unless I'm mistaken, Dr. Cherry trained with either Albert Church or some of his people.
My own instructor did as well. I used to know some of the black belts from Dr. Cherry's schoo long ago, and their techniques were pretty good, as were their attitudes.

Calvary

White Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread, and for that I apologize, but I wanted to make it known that Shorinji Toraken Ryu is no joke regardless of what one might say about the lineage. Though I've never met Dr. Cherry himself, my sensei, Doni Pulley is very professional, and very respectful, as well as respectable. As for the curriculum, It is very solid. It has elements, of Jujutsu with it's many joint locks, pressure points, and submissions. It has a high stance for quick mobility. It employs circular movements as well as linear. It involves aspects of newaza (ground fighting), and involves weapons. The class has a good attitude, and sensei will not raise up bullies, as they get weeded out early. I've watched the children's class, and they are very well behaved, and show each other respect. In a nutshell, it is a very well rounded fighting system that would be quite effective in a self defense application. This is definitely not for sport. Perhaps the only critique would be that it takes hard work and a long time to fully comprehend the entire system.....

Just 2 cents from someone who actually attends the classes

Latest Discussions