Ain't that a kick in the head.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree it all depends. There's always a huge risk. I saw a belator fight the other day. Can't remember the names but one guy had amazing kicks and was lighting up the other guy. He was landing side kicks, leg kicks and body kicks easily. Then he threw a kick to the head and it was a great kick which landed but as it landed the other fighter dropped and caught the leg as it was going back and he got the takedown and ended up choking the guy out. If he'd kept his kicks to the legs and body he'd probably have won but because of the head kick he lost
Yep, it happens. Of course, a split-second different, and that would end with, "because of the head kick he won."

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, it happens. Of course, a split-second different, and that would end with, "because of the head kick he won."
At the end of the day in fighting you can have all the skill in the world but I do believe it does come down to luck sometimes. I never say a guy won due to a /lucky/ punch because that's what your trying to do hit a guy and knock them out but I do believe there's an element of luck to it that's the reason the most skilled doesn't always win simply because the right circumstances happened and the slightest thing changed to allow it to happen

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day in fighting you can have all the skill in the world but I do believe it does come down to luck sometimes. I never say a guy won due to a /lucky/ punch because that's what your trying to do hit a guy and knock them out but I do believe there's an element of luck to it that's the reason the most skilled doesn't always win simply because the right circumstances happened and the slightest thing changed to allow it to happen
Agreed. In most cases (in MA and elsewhere in life), what most people call "luck" requires someone who is well-prepared to take advantage of a situation. A poorly-thrown punch is unlikely to get a KO, even if you are "lucky" enough to have the opponent lean into it because they chose that moment to enter. A well-thrown punch, however, becomes that "lucky punch".