Aikijitsu and Aikido

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add that it is a common misconception that aiki based jujutsu is harder than aikido. In most cases the opposite is true, aikijujutsu is more relaxed and supple than most aikido. Adding strikes or judo to a rough and tumble aikido does not make it aikijutsu.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also find this to be true. Although I have trained in Ueshiba's Aikido, most of what I have done is from Tsubaki Kannagara Aiki, a synthesis of modern Aikido and Ideta ryu Bujutsu & Aiki. The pure Aikido techniques prsented are done with more energythan the Aikijutsu, and the Aikijutsu, is slightly more relaxed, slower, and more mellow.

OP
A

AikidoCal

Koga-Shinobi said:
I was wondering if someone out there can help (Old Sempai seems to be the man)...what is the difference in style and techniques bewteen Aikido and Aikijujitsu?? And secondly, is Aikijujitsu a harder ("more attacking/aggressive") MA than Aikido? What are the similarities/differences between the two?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
Reading through this thread I would like to take a different angle. How about this:

As most Aikidoka know, Daito ryu ( in part or whole ) is a component of Aikido. It has been argued that most of pre-war Aikido is Daito ryu. O'Sensei's predominate budo teacher was Takeda Sokaku, a fierce warrior who lived by the way of the Samurai.

Aikido did change after O'Sensei's war experience, again pretty old news. Aikido incorporated O'Sensei's personal spirituality that departed from his previous military mentally. A shift from the fierce Samurai spirit and life-style of Takeda. O'Sensei's philosophical change away from the traditional Samurai spirit culture in part. Aikido shifted way from the traditional feudal martial mentality or spirit. One of very harsh, brutal and aggressiveness. That trained warriors/ Samurais that would keep fighting despite his arm being cut-off in battle. This sever training mentality was harsh and unforgiving, created a mind-set that grew into the very fabric of the Japanese and allowed the Samurai ways to influence Japan for centuries upon to WWII; the Nihon Spirit of feudal Japan revitalization by some in modern Japan is what drove Japan aggressively ( arrogantly )into attacking China and the United States and during WWII.

O'Sensei bucked that traffic, like many other contempories of his time, he rejected the way of war and violence, and yet keep much of the Samurai training methods and philosophy that attributed to the positive means of character building, which included ethical and moral behavior by the Japanese standards. Character development was part of the old Samurai code. O'Sensei instilled in Aikido, a global element of peace and non-violence, retaining the importance of character building. He envision a world of peaceful existence and not that of continued and constant conflict. Therefore, the way Aikido techniques are done and approached reflect that shift away from killing and serious injury as the day of old dictated. O'Senesi was different in this sense then that of his comtempories who as felt the same need for Japan to shift to a more peaceful society and existence with the modern world. They move away from the Nihon Spirit of WWII and their changes in their arts relfected that.

Aikido's techniques are all based in the same principles of Daito ryu Aikijujitsu, that are universal in many traditional martial arts and developed through the centuries. Aikido retains all the elements of breathing, repetition, the importance of balance, focus and concentration that is found in all traditional Japanese martial arts, and Daito ryu Aikijujitsu. But difference between Aikido and Daito ryu fundamentally is the spirit. Aikido is the modernization of Daito ryu, to fit a modern world where there are laws, police, and a court system, and if you kill someone on the street you go to court and possibly jail. It isn't a world of who is the strongest ( in a Japanese sense ) will win, and will not suffer societal consequences. You see that social during Takeda's life time and in his life.

This is the difference. The difference, it is in social attitude between Takeda and O'Sensei. It is a global change and not minute changes. What is the difference between Aikido and Daito Ryu is (in one way to look at it) being sued, and possibly going to jail.

I don't want to offend anyone but this is mainly taking a different look at the gobal differences, which are the most influencial and created the core differences. In my oppinon, one such thing that is viable and one everyone can relate to. :asian:

After thought: compassion is a word I should have worked into here as a difference. Aikido takes a compassionate view on the enemy or the assailent. Aikido can be looked upon as a modern arresting art. Where as Daito ryu isn't, historically and seen in its techniques the intent is to kill the enemy or assailant which settles things then and there.