Aikido vs anything?

Fimbulvinter

White Belt
Reaction score
I have problems finding a video really showing aikido. I just see demonstrations like Steven Segal taking out 10 people that just run at him and having attacks that aren't even directed at the guy.

I guess those demonstrations are the reason why aikido is pretty much ridiculed and said not to work. but i believe it has to be good for something...

so, anyone have a video of aikido in real action? :0

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're looking for real aikido, I'd suggest going to an aikido dojo and watching or participating in a class.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're looking for real aikido, I'd suggest going to an aikido dojo and watching or participating in a class.

I agree go try a few classes and then make your own opinion about the Art in question.

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last time me or my teachers used it it worked. Maybe we do it wrong.
im sure it does work great in the dojo but wrist and standing arm locks are hard enough to apply with strikes and to set them up and are impossible to do so in real life without.

i dont want to offend and if you do it for fun or what ever fine but dont confuse it a practical fightin art.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
im sure it does work great in the dojo but wrist and standing arm locks are hard enough to apply with strikes and to set them up and are impossible to do so in real life without.

i dont want to offend and if you do it for fun or what ever fine but dont confuse it a practical fightin art.

I suppose this opinion is based on your vast experience in the martial arts and the practical application of aikido techniques in particular.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just asking, because I don't seem to have any problems using aikido techniques against realistic attacks :idunno:

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just asking, because I don't seem to have any problems using aikido techniques against realistic attacks :idunno:
when i was growing up my best friends dad was a very high ranking aikido a guy and we would spend maybe 2 hours every day, 7 days a week learning and practicing aikido! i did this for around 5 years , as i wasnt forally training i never bothered with gradings but i must of been black belt level and my friend had been training since he could walk and after about 2 weeks of boxing i would wipe the floor with him the fact is you cant catch punches or what not ect its a beautiful art but martial its not.

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have problems finding a video really showing aikido. I just see demonstrations like Steven Segal taking out 10 people that just run at him and having attacks that aren't even directed at the guy.

I guess those demonstrations are the reason why aikido is pretty much ridiculed and said not to work. but i believe it has to be good for something...

so, anyone have a video of aikido in real action?

I would suggest reading at least 2 books about Aikido to help you form a general idea. Aikido is not something that you can understand just by looking at video's, even though many may think that this is possible.

If you really would like to understand in my opinion this wonderful style, here are a few books you can pickup...

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere
- Adele Westbrook, Oscar Ratti
The Dao of Physics - Fritjof Capra
Budo - Teachings of the Founder Morihei Ueshiba

Honestly, even if you are not interested in learning Aikido these books would be a great addition to your library.

it dosnt work, thats the whole truth

Statements like these are very disrespectful to those that devote their lives to this particular style. When you type things of this nature, you not only disrespect many who are alive, but those that have passed away as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Teachings-Founder-Aikido-Ueshiba-Karate/dp/4770020708

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Statements like these are very disrespectful to those that devote their lives to this particular style. When you type things of this nature, you not only disrespect many who are alive, but those that have passed away as well...
well statements like that may save said life if it means he dosnt try to use aikido in a real fight.

if its so great it will be easy to prove and you can become some what of a trail blazer by being the first person in history by putting the first real aikido fight on the net.

get padded up with headguards gum shields grain guards and mma gloves as hundreds of thousands of people everyday do in boxing thaiboxing mma karate ect dojo's do everyday and have a full contact mma sparring session and then post it on youtube. this should be easy considering how much aikido trains fighting multiple oponents so one should be easy

Last edited:

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score

so, anyone have a video of aikido in real action? :0

Please post a video of any non-sport MA in "real action."

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why? - He enters (irimi) and takes and controls the space - Aikido.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chav buster,

Your comments are ignorant and likely formed on the basis of your own failure to understand the system of aikido.

While aikido is not a combat system exactly is does have combat applications since it is mainly derived from a combative art called daito ryu.

In my dojo we don't practice aikido, but we practice aiki movements and when done right they can be used with any kind of committed attack even the all powerful boxers and mma and muy thai fighters.

The first lesson of aikido is entering which is to seal the gap and close distance, often one can set up a strike during these movements as any qualified aikidoka or aikijujutsuka would tell you to do in the case of a real fight.

Is it difficult to use in a real fight? That depends on your training. If you train against realistic attacks (which not everyone does) then you will have a better chance at success.

Just because you can't make it work doesn't mean it won't work when a skilled person is using it. That arguement would be like me saying that a gun jammed on me and wouldn't fire so therefore guns don't work. Do you see the fallacy there?