Aikido Journal and Aikido Expo/Russian Aiki

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you a former Aikidoka because of Systema, or had you stopped training Aikido before you found out about Systema?

OP
R

Rommel

I gave up aikido because of systema. At first when I came to Toronto I had wanted to train in both systems, but after two weeks of training in systema, I realized that I had found the right way when it comes to martial arts. This was what I had been looking for all my life. Even my randori was more like systema before I even knew about systema. This was frowned upon by my teachers who insisted on purity of technique while I was doing natural movements.

OP
R

Rommel

I'm a nobody. Check out James Williams, Arthur Sennott, Martin Wheeler, Furtry and Rob Poyton's background as well as Ken Good among many others.

Furtry

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't call my self a convert as I always new, due to real life experiences, that the other MAs I had studied were unrealistic.
I'm not putting them down, in fact I respect them a great deal, as it's a learned skill that takes allot of character to develop and vie versa.
Systema synergies everything in my life not just the study of MA.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have found Systema to be the best 'living' expression of a complete, modern 'warrior way' of life. (Note: BujinKan Nin-Po, to me, is the best of the 'classical' type that I studied).
I will celebrate my 40th year of study of 'the arts' this October...it's been an interesting path from my first ShotoKan/Judo lessons at the Boy's Club of Flatbush, Brooklyn- back in 1963. I have been privaleged to study under many great practitioners in many of the world's combative methods...all fascinating studies. I accumulated numerous dark colored bands of cloth, patches, gloves, and other 'rank' designations and memorabilia but more importantly...I have, from my practice, enjoyed an exciting life.
I 'work' Systema now (still look in on old friends from time to time) and know that this is my 'home' and where I will remain for the remainder of my days. The methods are so different from my previous studies...the people involved so unique and genuine...I am a happy lil' warrior now.

Latest Discussions