Aikido is the best self defense

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since "wrist grab" is one of my favor discussion subject, let me put in my 2 cents here.

In the following clip, The moment that A's right hand grabs on B's left wrist, the moment that A's left arm moves in between B's head and B's right arm.

In other words, the opportunity for B to use both hands to deal with A's right hand may not be possible all the time.

I don't think this is the type of grab Drop Bear and I were talking about, at least not me. But I think this would be something Drop Bear would delight in. As A moves in, B could easily jab A in the throat, face, or rake the eyes. Other things could follow.

Interesting video anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think this is the type of grab Drop Bear and I were talking about, at least not me. But I think this would be something Drop Bear would delight in. As A moves in, B could easily jab A in the throat, face, or rake the eyes. Other things could follow.

Interesting video anyway.

Not once he has the inside track.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a Hapkidoist, there are too many rules.

Thats convenient.

So your method is extra effective and you dont have to provide evidence of it ever working because it is so deadly.

For me the nature of a working method is that someone uses it somewhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats convenient.

So your method is extra effective and you dont have to provide evidence of it ever working because it is so deadly.

Except that it has to be somewhere you acknowledge as valid, if I recall some of our previous conversations properly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that it has to be somewhere you acknowledge as valid, if I recall some of our previous conversations properly.

And I dont acknowledge tough pub talk from anybody as valid.

I know I am such a hard task master on this. But you can see where relying on the fantasy of your system conflicts with the reality of what you can actually do with it.

In his head he is going to do all these awesome illegal moves that will just wreck people. The reality is if he gets punched in the mouth it will be the same as everybody else. Rules, no rules, no difference.

And you really dont see punches coming when they are coming at full pace.

The same flying flipping around nonsense as aikido when it is too deadly to spar.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know I am such a hard task master on this. But you can see where relying on the fantasy of your system conflicts with the reality of what you can actually do with it.

In his head he is going to do all these awesome illegal moves that will just wreck people. The reality is if he gets punched in the mouth it will be the same as everybody else. Rules, no rules, no difference.

The same flying flipping around nonsense as aikido when it is too deadly to spar.
You're just stuck on that phrase, and applying it to an entire system, when I mentioned a couple of techniques that weren't safe for full application in resisted sparring. Let it go, already.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As A moves in, B could easily jab A in the throat, face, or rake the eyes. Other things could follow.
Are you talking about B's (person in black) left hand, or B's right hand? The way that I look at this strategy is the following:

When A's right hand controls B's left wrist, A can

- drag B's left arm across B's body to jam B's own right arm (not shown in this clip).
- tuck B's left arm away from A's entering path by moving B's left arm to the left of B's body. Since A's left arm is moving in next to B's chest, It will be easier for A to separate B's right arm away from B's body.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're just stuck on that phrase, and applying it to an entire system, when I mentioned a couple of techniques that weren't safe for full application in resisted sparring. Let it go, already.

You are the only person who think uppercuts are too deadly to spar though.

So I wouldn't drop the mike and walk off stage just yet if I was you.

And offheard1 applied it to a whole style. It is the reason no elite fighters use their method.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats convenient.

Don't put words in my mouth. But since you mention it, the last time I was in Korea there was a Korean Army unit that required a 3rd degree in a MA to be in it. Hapkido was the preferred MA.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

The only advice I could suggest to you would be to study Hapkido or Aikido for a year or two and see if you still believe those MA have no value.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

And offheard1 applied it to a whole style. It is the reason no elite fighters use their method.

As long as you feel good in your belief (correct or not) good on you.

And as you well know well, it is oftheherd1. If that is the best you can do, I am sorry for you. Or maybe not. You are so easily convinced of your cleverness you are unable to consider other possibilities.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only advice I could suggest to you would be to study Hapkido or Aikido for a year or two and see if you still believe those MA have no value.

How about we find out if it has value before we spend a year doing it.

A year to find out if something is useless?

Seriously?

Why don't you spend a year on meth just to see if it is bad for you or not.

webmaster786

White Belt
Reaction score
Robust Aikido coach you real budo "warrior's way" so you can stay away being caught up in a bad situation. Simply any martial art can be used for self defense extend as long as you have good training.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Seriously?

We are not likely to ever agree. Post away, I won't however.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Seriously?

Feh. As I expected, this thread is nothing but a long list of penis measuring as one poster goes on about how great Martial Art X is, followed with another poster going on about how it's sucks and is fake.

What it this, 1998?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Feh. As I expected, this thread is nothing but a long list of penis measuring as one poster goes on about how great Martial Art X is, followed with another poster going on about how it's sucks and is fake.

What it this, 1998?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bringing back a ricky martin vibe for you?

My issue was that I have to try something for a year before I can judge if it is good or bad. Seems silly. As I said how do you know meth is bad if you haven't tried it?

When the argument becomes about justifying the technique by the percieved deadlyness of the martial art. Then the martial art should be legitimately deadly.

I have no issue with penis mesurement so long as there is mesurement involved.

There isnt.

And look everybody doesn't like something. I dont like martial arts that rely on mysticism. The same way I dont like voodo being used as medicine.

I would like martial arts to actually do what they say they can do. Not sure why that gets so much opposition. Why there is such a results don't matter vibe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never said an uppercut was too dangerous for sparring. Go back and look at the context. I said it couldn't be safely fully executed (meaning full-force) in normal sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said an uppercut was too dangerous for sparring. Go back and look at the context. I said it couldn't be safely fully executed (meaning full-force) in normal sparring.

Which was your definition of too deadly for sparring. That someone cant hit a guy flat knacker with one without hurting them.

It did not apply to the term then. It does not apply to the term now.

I called it a strawman then. And it is still one.

So why are you pursuing this?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth. But since you mention it, the last time I was in Korea there was a Korean Army unit that required a 3rd degree in a MA to be in it. Hapkido was the preferred MA.

OK. That is nice. Can you show me where this army has effectively used these concepts?