Aikido Injuries.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seen on rec'martial-arts. Follow this link then scroll down to the very bottom and follow the link "Table: Summary of Deaths and Serious Injuries In Aikido" to see a table of Aikido injuries and their causes.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It shows us that it isn't a game, and you have to take it serious.....

To bad people have to die before someone thinks about it. Even more wores that it sitll happens, and nobody has taken aciton.

/Yari

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is absolutely appalling! I agree that action should be taken, especially considering that it still happens! I can hardly believe that! I must say that aikido can be frightening when done with "emotional content". I think that it is nage's job to help protect uke form being injured. I have been injured more in my years of training in aikido than in nearly 30 years of the other styles I have practiced, including some full contact. We have to be so careful with each other.

respectfully,
Mao

2maz

Couldn't agree more, it's definetely nage's job to help protect uke form being injured. Espescially in cases where nage is more experienced than uke. A lot of injuries often come through nages that want to show off with a less experienced uke, and that is something that should be cut off directly by the instructor/sensei.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2maz

Couldn't agree more, it's definetely nage's job to help protect uke form being injured. Espescially in cases where nage is more experienced than uke. A lot of injuries often come through nages that want to show off with a less experienced uke, and that is something that should be cut off directly by the instructor/sensei.

I agree only 98 %, because uke has a responsability to know ukemi. If uke doesn't know ukemi, but can flow along with the technique. Tori will be mislead to feel that he can throw....

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2maz, were in sweden are you from? And what style do you pratice?

/yari

2maz

Originally posted by Yari

2maz, were in sweden are you from? And what style do you pratice?

/yari

I live in a small town named Arvika. My style is iwama ryu, what's yours?

SET_Coo

White Belt
Reaction score
speaking of aikido injuries, has anyone develoved a little some what painfull lump on the underside of there rist??? its happened to me 2 times already. I think its because of kotagaishi. just wandering.:eek:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2maz

I live in a small town named Arvika. My style is iwama ryu, what's yours?

Nishio-, but I've also done Kobiyashi-(sp?), and Kanesuka- (sp?) sensei.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SET_Coo

speaking of aikido injuries, has anyone develoved a little some what painfull lump on the underside of there rist??? its happened to me 2 times already. I think its because of kotagaishi. just wandering.:eek:

I have a friend who got this. It may be a aikido injury, but I think he used a scroll mouse too much.....

But it helped him to do sone shitsu on his arm. Can't remeber the name of the point, but if you turn your paml up. The muscle on the outside , follow it up to you elbow. Men the muscle meets the elbow. There should be a shiatsu point. He rub this and the lump disappered.

Yari

SET_Coo

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont know what shitsu is, but i did it and it worked, the lump is gone. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

btw, If Donald Duck never wore pants, why did he wrap a towel around his waist after he steps out of the shower?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SET_Coo

Ibtw, If Donald Duck never wore pants, why did he wrap a towel around his waist after he steps out of the shower?

Because he LOVED to take a bath..... :D

/Yari

P

phoenix277

wow and its said that aikido is a NONE violent sport:samurai: :duel:

P

phoenix277

man ive all ready put this up but in the british aikido web page it says A Non-Violent Sport
Aikido is essentially non-violent, encourages harmony and avoidance of confrontation. Force is never opposed by force. Resolving a conflict quiescently is better for all concerned and students soon learn how to improve their self-awareness, and with the techniques learnt, also grow in self-confidence. In this Aikido teaches self-defence. Aikido is todays fastest growing recreational activity with Japanese origins that go back many centuries. Aikido as practised today includes joint locking techniques and body movements from many of the ancient fighting methods taught, used, and perfected by the Samurai in feudal Japan.
:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by phoenix277

man ive all ready put this up

Jeps, you did, but it wasn't up when I read your input here.

I don't agree, you can see my other post.

/Yari

P

phoenix277

u may not agree but thats what people that run the aikido say:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are several schools of thought on this. Many see aikido as very pacifistic, and that the types of techniques taught flows from that philosophy; others think the techniques reflect a certain movement style and contain very serious techniques (at least as options). There's no one right answer; it depends on the style and how one approaches it.