Aikido in an Mma gym

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you tube is full of them, the non existent science, claim ed in fitness Vids is ouragious, oil up, show your muscles and people believe you, but who cares when the cheque arrives?

did you see that systema vid before it was taken down, it was bordering on the comic, he felled an attacker by throwing his cap at him, yet people buy into it

I have seen them before. It is an extreme example of the sort of thing people will believe.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen them before. It is an extreme example of the sort of thing people will believe.
Hah. This reminds me of a vid I saw where a random guy threw on a lab coat and started giving out 'free breast exams'. Plenty of takers.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ok.. I don't deal in those. I don't like techniques that required the planets to be aligned on the right day and month at the right time to work. My opinion is that a technique should always have some wiggle room for effectiveness. By nature I make a decent amount of mistakes, which is why I can't be surgeon. I enjoy learning by mistakes and see mistakes as natural. So if I do a technique, then that technique needs to have a good range of effectiveness.

I don't get into all of the pressure point stuff for the same reason. I like the comfort that I can be off 2-5 inches and still be effective.
I think some of the techniques in question had more application at one time - some seem designed to work against specific traditional arts. Now, they serve as effective drills for certain principles, but not techniques for direct application. Kind of like working the speed bag in boxing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think some of the techniques in question had more application at one time - some seem designed to work against specific traditional arts. Now, they serve as effective drills for certain principles, but not techniques for direct application. Kind of like working the speed bag in boxing.

In the first UFCs simple BJJ was like a superpower.

And worked on the feedback it was given.

Now BJJ isn't a super power and BJJ guys can't get away with all the stuff they used to.

Techniques that had application at one time may have quite simply been evolved out of context.

Latest Discussions