Aikido in an Mma gym

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My comment really isnt to support either side here but a reminder that some martial arts or techniques are not designed to face a highly trained fighter and can even be dependent upon the area, culture, and time period of the attack and doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily work

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My comment really isnt to support either side here but a reminder that some martial arts or techniques are not designed to face a highly trained fighter and can even be dependent upon the area, culture, and time period of the attack and doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily work
yes very much so, and I've made the point myself, that I'm not tr aining to fight a good level MMA fighter,, they will beat me no matter what I do. drunks and idiots are where I'm at. so yes maybe it will work against a drunken idiot, , but nearly anything will, if their slow and leave their arm hanging, a more realistic measure, is can someone at the same level do it to you or vice versa and of course, the claim in the vid was it does work against a high level fighter

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why on Earth would anyone purposely learn a system that they themselves believe doesn't work unless the other guy doesn't know how to fight?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why on Earth would anyone purposely learn a system that they themselves believe doesn't work unless the other guy doesn't kno
Why on Earth would anyone purposely learn a system that they themselves believe doesn't work unless the other guy doesn't know how to fight?

w how to fight?
well the pracmati answer c is unless you intend to ring fight, or your messing about in gangsta circles, then the chances of you being attacked by an trained fighter is extremley
low, and putting time, effort and pain in to learning to fight a trained fighter is a waste of resources, a bit like having a fast car and not racing it.

that's even allowing that you have the physical attributes to take on a trained fighter no matter what you learn

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
well the pracmati answer c is unless you intend to ring fight, or your messing about in gangsta circles, then the chances of you being attacked by an trained fighter is extremley
low, and putting time, effort and pain in to learning to fight a trained fighter is a waste of resources, a bit like having a fast car and not racing it.

that's even allowing that you have the physical attributes to take on a trained fighter no matter what you learn

I guess..sort of. It still makes no sense if the point of your martial arts has more emphasis on the martial than the art.

Why not just train something that works on people that do know how to fight?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess..sort of. It still makes no sense if the point of your martial arts has more emphasis on the martial than the art.

Why not just train something that works on people that do know how to fight?
your an enthusiast , that's looking to be the best he can be at fighting, thats not everyone else's aim, fore instance I'm very nearly 60, I'm getting beat up by any vaguely talented 25 yo,boxer, bjjer or mmaer, that's a fact if life
which makes any attempt to do so delusional, can I beat 25 yo chain smoking, body building alcoholics yobs up ? hell yes, and that's the sort of idiots I'm likely to come into conflict with, and I can live which that as a major achievement on my part

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
your an enthusiast , that's looking to be the best he can be at fighting, thats not everyone else's aim, fore instance I'm very nearly 60, I'm getting beat up by any vaguely talented 25 yo,boxer, bjjer or mmaer, that's a fact if life
which makes any attempt to do so delusional, can I beat 25 yo chain smoking, body building alcoholics yobs up ? hell yes, and that's the sort of idiots I'm likely to come into conflict with, and I can live which that as a major achievement on my part

That's all true regardless of what you train in though isn't it? I'm turning 42 right quick, I'm way past being able to compete with young studs and be....competetive.

It just seems to me if you, yourself, believe the thing you are training in will not work unless the other guy doesn't know how to fight is a bit weird, unless you have other goals in mind besides effectiveness.

If your goal IS to be effective though, why wouldn't you train in something you believe works against people that can fight? Wouldn't that be even better for use against drunk randoms?

Some of them can fight too you know.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's all true regardless of what you train in though isn't it? I'm turning 42 right quick, I'm way past being able to compete with young studs and be....competetive.

It just seems to me if you, yourself, believe the thing you are training in will not work unless the other guy doesn't know how to fight is a bit weird, unless you have other goals in mind besides effectiveness.

If your goal IS to be effective though, why wouldn't you train in something you believe works against people that can fight? Wouldn't that be even better for use against drunk randoms?

Some of them can fight too you know.
no drunks can't fight, the first things to go are spacial awareness and reactions, quickly followed by Ballance, do they fight, yes quite a lot, can they fight, no not really, they are just slow moving heavy bags to practise on

yes I have other reasons to do it, I like the people mostly, I like the place, it's handy, I use it as a focus for my fitness and I can take my dog.

it would be a lot more effective if I was 30 younger, as age also deminishes, spacial awareness reactions and Ballance, which is another reason I train to hold back the old age truck, I'm not at all sure that I would be any more effective in any other art, I happily take on a 60 yo who had done three years of boxing, because the chances of finding another 60 to, as fit as I am is slight. at the end of the day I want to walk the byways of this city knowing I'm no push over for any one but a trained fighter

you may feel old now,! wait till another 20 years have elapsed, you man not fancy getting punch in the head for fun as much as you do now

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whether we are talking an MMA fighter, or even an average Joe with a bit of striking experience, most people are going to retract that punch quickly, not leave it hanging out there to grab. So this might be viable technique to deflect / get out of the way of said punch, but depending on that wrist grab to work and not having a plan B would seem very foolish, to me. It seems like you could easily test it in some sparring though, so you could get a better idea of how realistic it is. I have more respect for this than some TMA stuff out there that seems almost impossible to demonstrate with a non-compliant partner (very specific reaction from partner needed for technique to make sense, overly long sequence of movements, etc)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
....I'm not training to fight a good level MMA fighter,, they will beat me no matter what I do. drunks and idiots are where I'm at.

Brilliant!

I agree totally. I'm 63 now ...with a typical assortment of old injuries pestering me. I train to be as good as I reasonably can be ... and because I enjoy what I do. Thinking I could fight a young, fit, and well trained MMA-er would be just ...really dumb.

'spose I could back my car over him though...;)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wel, Rokas has posted a follow-up video. Apparently the first video was a trick to test people’s critical thinking and see whether they would believe in the Aikido technique when it was vouched for by an MMA coach.
(The first part of this video is the same. Jump to around 2:55 for the real story.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wel, Rokas has posted a follow-up video. Apparently the first video was a trick to test people’s critical thinking and see whether they would believe in the Aikido technique when it was vouched for by an MMA coach.
(The first part of this video is the same. Jump to around 2:55 for the real story.)

Yeah. I went facebook friends with the guy and caught the same thing just then.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm 67 now, but I'm new at it, only been a couple months, maybe I'll catch on later. :)

None of us get to choose who we tangle with, like this guy at work. Young, big, fit, former military hand to hand instructor, high as a loon on God knows what, impervious to any pain compliance applied.

TexasGuy2.jpg

You guys know how it is, you do the best you can. It's one of the reasons we train I reckon.

Really proud of all the guys, nobody threw any strikes, not one, and God knows we wanted to.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm 67 now, but I'm new at it, only been a couple months, maybe I'll catch on later. :)

None of us get to choose who we tangle with, like this guy at work. Young, big, fit, former military hand to hand instructor, high as a loon on God knows what, impervious to any pain compliance applied.

View attachment 22043
You guys know how it is, you do the best you can. It's one of the reasons we train I reckon.

Really proud of all the guys, nobody threw any strikes, not one, and God knows we wanted to.

Use to work security in a hospital with Mental Health and Detox wards....been there done that...don't want to do it again.....tussled with a WWE guy one who was high on God knows what... not an experience I wish to repeat.... and don't get me started on the ones brought in to the ER, In cuffs, on a mental health warrant, that the police take the cuffs off, say he's all yours...and leave....

I feel your pain and know the feeling.....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well actually that's kinda reassuring. ...'cause I 've never been fast enough to catch a real punch. Nice to know that others can't either.

I've caught a few punches....with my face. They all sucked.

I'm not sure if I know anybody who's actually tried to catch a punch. Or wanted to for that matter.