Aikido hate

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't hate aikido I was just giving my opinion of why allot of MMA clown aikido. I actually currently study Aikido and know it has allot of concepts to offer if trained appropriately.

I also personally think the results would be worst for the aikidoka if it wasnt a sparring match and if it was no rule fight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

No real evidence of an aikidoka winning a fight. So even if we don't put styles theoretically head to head. You would reasonably look that when determining effective fighting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an interesting question. Aikido to me is designed for chaos. Here's what I mean by that. Aikido only works with a committed attack. Aikido practitioners ALWAYS, ALWAYS assume there are multiple attackers. That whoever is attacking has at least one friend if not more. We also ALWAYS assume that they have a weapon. We assume we are in, as one high ranking Sensei told me once, a "gang war".....

Aikido does not work well with one on one sparring/competition. If someone will not commit to an attack, I simply back up and won't even engage with them. If someone just jabs and tries to throw probing attacks, I simply back up and leave...I won't even try to do anything, not until they try to grab, rush, or step into an attack, otherwise it's not worth doing anything.

I've seen Aikido used 3 times in real life, all before I was even studying Aikido, and all with brutal effectiveness. I honestly didn't even know what it was until I started studying Aikido years ago, and went...ahhhh, that's what that was.

1. I was in the US Navy and was at a party, some guy was making out with a girl, when the girls boyfriend showed up...the first guy backed up, saying he didn't know she had a boyfriend, and he didn't want to fight....the boyfriend launched a punch at his face. All I saw was a blur, and the boyfriend hit the wall with his head down, and fall to the floor on his neck and head....not sure how hurt he was, but it was over like that. I know now, that he executed a tsuki kaitenage....

2. I was in a seedy bar with some friends, just after getting out of the Navy. We were playing pool, and a couple of tables over, there were some guys in their early 30's playing pool and hanging out. There were some older biker dudes there, and one of them was getting pretty drunk, he came over to the other guys tables and started making fun of them. They asked him to leave....one of them was pretty cocky and called him basically a filthy drunk.....he got pissed....grabbed a pool cue and swung at one of the other ones holding it like a baseball bat...again...flash, and the drunk guy was flying over a bar table knocking the chairs over. He got up, and at this point the bouncers were there and kicking them all out basically. I know now, that he executed an udekimenage on that guy....

3. The last time was a blend of Aikido w some other stuff. Was at a bar hanging out when I saw an argument break out...no idea what it was about, but this rather big guy grabbed a rather skinny younger guy by his shirt collar...bam....the skinny guy hit him with a technique and the guy screamed and dropped, and then he kneed him in the gut, and as the big guy leaned forward, slammed his head into an iron railing. Fight over. Again, bouncers all over it. Now, I know......it was a nikyo into a muy thai type knee strike to the abdomen, into a head slam.

Aikido works well for these types of situations...against another fighter who is trained and won't commit? It won't work well at all.

I am not sure i am sold on this idea that training exclusively for multiple attackers with weapons is a good thing.

I endorse conservative,basic and safe for self defense. And i think you start to move away from that with multiples and weapons.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
No real evidence of an aikidoka winning a fight. So even if we don't put styles theoretically head to head. You would reasonably look that when determining effective fighting.

So no aikidoka has ever won a fight in the history of the world?

I am not sure i am sold on this idea that training exclusively for multiple attackers with weapons is a good thing.

I endorse conservative,basic and safe for self defense. And i think you start to move away from that with multiples and weapons.

Then don't be shocked when your students panic against an attacker with a weapon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So no aikidoka has ever won a fight in the history of the world?

Then don't be shocked when your students panic against an attacker with a weapon.

Aikido has one fights. But that isn't really evidence. Swimmers have won fights. You would want to see a trend.

Every single time i have fought a guy with a weapon. I have panicked. It is scary stuff.

Actually fighting multiples is pretty bloody scary as well.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aikido has one fights. But that isn't really evidence. Swimmers have won fights. You would want to see a trend.

Every single time i have fought a guy with a weapon. I have panicked. It is scary stuff.

You shouldn't panic. That's what the training is for. It sounds stupid to say and is very easier said than done but that is the reality of it. You must have done something right since you are alive but your odds are better with training for it

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having also dealt with armed opponents (which I think we can all agree is not super common) I find this statement interesting, and I'd like you to expand on it, if you would.
I wouldn't say I've ever panicked. Do I get a huge adrenaline dump? Yes. But I've never panicked. By definition, if you're panicking, you're incapable of thought or, really, any sort of sensible, coordinated, response. Which means you're likely to be very unhappy with the outcome of the conflict. Assuming you're alive to be unhappy.
Are you saying you basically fall apart after the confrontation is over? That makes a lot more sense, honestly, but I don't think "panic" would be the correct term. in most cases.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I understand what you are saying, but the above question was what was Aikido meant for? I answered that...this is how and what we train for. The bar fight when 3 people are running at you, or in the dark alley when someone pulls a knife and their buddy is right behind them....this is what we train for.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aikido works just fine for what it is designed for.

Here we see a police officer utilizing an Aikido like technique easily and disarming a knife:

I know Aikidoka who have worked in law enforcement, corrections, etc. They were all pleased with the efficiency of their chosen system.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Aikido works just fine for what it is designed for.

Here we see a police officer utilizing an Aikido like technique easily and disarming a knife:

I know Aikidoka who have worked in law enforcement, corrections, etc. They were all pleased with the efficiency of their chosen system.
Okay. All kidding aside, according to what has been called aikido, that wasn't it. That disarm could also be called "kenpo like" or "Krav maga like."

Where was the aiki? Where was the philosophy of ueshiba? The bad guy fed him literally zero energy, which is anathema to what aikido is said to be all about. Isn't it?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That there was an Aiki jujutsu technique that could be from many systems in South East Asia. Yet, that is an Aikido technique in application.

As to the movement of the police officer. There was distraction, blending, etc. it was all there. I am sorry you cannot see it Steve.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
you're sorry I cannot see that? Lol. Could you be more patronizing?

Jesus Christ.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Quite an article. It does reinforce my belief that "Defense against Aikido" is called the "don't attack" defense. :)

Seriously, though, it appears that Aikido, at least in its later years, is a kind of ritualized physical activity, sharing much in common with Tai Chi. Meditative, spiritual and healthful, with a historical, martial base.
Well understand what is said was when the founder has already gone through war and real life and death challenges. I think due to his very religious experiences and seeing combat his focus started to focus on a more higher calling. Understand that Japanese at least more modern times do not view learning martial arts for self defense, the idea that learning for street effectiveness doesn't apply in a place that is relatively safe at least when I was in Japan talking about self defense. Aikido at least before ww2 was a lot more brutal and more in line with Daito Ryu aikijujutsu.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would seem you have an issue with me Steve. Sorry that you feel that way. I have absolutely no problem with you. Just so we understand each other!

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay. All kidding aside, according to what has been called aikido, that wasn't it. That disarm could also be called "kenpo like" or "Krav maga like."

Where was the aiki? Where was the philosophy of ueshiba? The bad guy fed him literally zero energy, which is anathema to what aikido is said to be all about. Isn't it?
Well it was a recognize technique kote gaeshi. The aiki is found in the leg that sweeps him. Understand the word 合气 has also the meaning of unbalancing. Borrowing a person's force and redirecting it is another principle it still follows the concept of unbalancing. To really understand aiki principles is to undertake swordsmanship.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would seem you have an issue with me Steve. Sorry that you feel that way. I have absolutely no problem with you. Just so we understand each other!

Not an akido technique. Not the blending not the distraction. Nothing.

A martial arts technique that many people have learned in many different styles.

Don't stress about steve. Ok. Suggesting he doesn't understand the mechanics of the bjj wristlock in the video might bite a bit. But he will get over it.