Aikido hate

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remind me again why we should fret, get upset and angry about how other people in other styles train? :rolleyes:

People put a lot of time money and faith into their training. It would be upsetting if the training didn't do what it claimed.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remind me again why we should fret, get upset and angry about how other people in other styles train? :rolleyes:

Because what I train and how I train it is right, and EVERYTHING else and EVERYONE else is wrong.

Please, try asking a question that will actually make me think about the answer.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because what I train and how I train it is right, and EVERYTHING else and EVERYONE else is wrong.

Sorry Master, I will immediately go and bash my head against a wall in penance.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
People put a lot of time money and faith into their training. It would be upsetting if the training didn't do what it claimed.
If people are happy with what they're doing its no one else's business you just focus on yourself and let others do what they want

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If people are happy with what they're doing its no one else's business you just focus on yourself and let others do what they want

And yet we are on a forum that focuses on what everybody else is doing. Kind of the whole point of a forum. Otherwise it would be a blog.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet we are on a forum that focuses on what everybody else is doing. Kind of the whole point of a forum. Otherwise it would be a blog.

Well it doesn't really, some people like me will flit from section to section if there's something interesting however most people tend to stick to their own styles section, commenting on only their style. Also just because you do go from section to section through interest it doesn't mean you have to criticise other people's styles, you could ask questions to learn more about other styles, compare how for example a front kick is done in different styles, discuss problems with students/instructors, ask/discuss things about kit, there's an awful lot of reason to comment on other peoples styles without banging on how useless you think their style is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean we need to "correct" them. If someone asks for opinions, I'll give mine. (Okay, I don't always wait until they ask, either, but let's act for a minute like I do.) I'm happy to try to help people improve in areas they want to improve and I can help. However, if someone comes on here posting about their training, and it's bad combat mojo all the way, I don't always need to help. If they are training for fun (not defense), and the training appears to be reasonably safe, they don't need my help.

And that goes doubly for the folks who aren't even here, the hypotheticals that get discussed sometimes about how a given art/style should train. This thread is a reasonable example. A lot of folks really like to talk about what's wrong with Aikido training. Most of the folks I've known (maybe all of them) who trained in Ueshiba's mainline (I'm excepting the branches created by Shioda and Tomiki) understood that their Aikido training was a long process. Many of them make light of it being a 20-year art (20 years to high competency). They know they could get competency faster in another art, but they like the process they are in. Most, though they like the concept of being able to use the art to defend themselves, are in no hurry. They like what they are doing that much. I don't think there's any reason to "fix" that.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it's a board for discussion but well...to be honest I'd have a better discussion with a brick wall than I would have with you since you don't listen to anyone and tell everyone that they're wrong unless they do it your way

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it's a board for discussion but well...to be honest I'd have a better discussion with a brick wall than I would have with you since you don't listen to anyone and tell everyone that they're wrong unless they do it your way

Unlike what you are doing now?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't mean we need to "correct" them. If someone asks for opinions, I'll give mine. (Okay, I don't always wait until they ask, either, but let's act for a minute like I do.) I'm happy to try to help people improve in areas they want to improve and I can help. However, if someone comes on here posting about their training, and it's bad combat mojo all the way, I don't always need to help. If they are training for fun (not defense), and the training appears to be reasonably safe, they don't need my help.

And that goes doubly for the folks who aren't even here, the hypotheticals that get discussed sometimes about how a given art/style should train. This thread is a reasonable example. A lot of folks really like to talk about what's wrong with Aikido training. Most of the folks I've known (maybe all of them) who trained in Ueshiba's mainline (I'm excepting the branches created by Shioda and Tomiki) understood that their Aikido training was a long process. Many of them make light of it being a 20-year art (20 years to high competency). They know they could get competency faster in another art, but they like the process they are in. Most, though they like the concept of being able to use the art to defend themselves, are in no hurry. They like what they are doing that much. I don't think there's any reason to "fix" that.

Untill somone says something goober like "What if your martial art doesn't rely on strength"

Train Like A Professional....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Untill somone says something goober like "What if your martial art doesn't rely on strength"

That's not about how they train, but about discussing their comment. If someone makes a statement (or in this case, a question that implies a statement), it's worth letting them know you disagree with the statement.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not about how they train, but about discussing their comment. If someone makes a statement (or in this case, a question that implies a statement), it's worth letting them know you disagree with the statement.

Well there you go.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They aren't fanboys if they are doing it.

I mean is Joe Rogan a fan boy then?
Joe Rogan details being scarred from his experience of getting is butt kicked by kickboxers after he'd thought he'd win with a taekwondo background. He was converted fully via trauma.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joe Rogan details being scarred from his experience of getting is butt kicked by kickboxers after he'd thought he'd win with a taekwondo background. He was converted fully via trauma.

So is he a fanboy or not?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Well, for the record, I only suggest that if you say your art is effective, you should be prepared to share your definition of effective. And if you can't, that's a problem.

So, for example. When you say "20 years to high competency," what do you mean by high competency. What can a highly competent aikidoka do? We know that this doesn't mean "able to compete in MMA." And that's fine, but what does it mean?

And then further, how does one know if their own aikido skills meet your own criteria for "high competency?"

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Why does Aikido get so much hate? I realize that BJJ and MMA are very mainstream at the moment, and some of those guys are the biggest Aikido haters out there. No offense. It all boils down to: Did any of the MMA fighters do aikido?" Some people go as far as calling it ********, ineffective, a waste of time, etc. Really? I visited the local Aikido school, and I loved the atmosphere. I'd like to know what your opinion of this art is. I believe most (if not all) arts can be applied in certain scenarios. I have to admit that I am not one of those people that dream of killing/dismantling others. That's the last thing I want to to.

Thank you in advance.
Aikido generally gets allot of hate from the MMA community because allot of aikidoka would get schooled in a sparring match against even a newer MMA practitioner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

images

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'll try to explain it for you without using too many big words:-

play devil's advocate
to pretend to be against an idea which you agree with in order to make people discuss it in more detail and think about it more carefully

Last edited:

Latest Discussions