Age to be taken serious

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what age does a martial Artist start to be taken serious about there abilities and what age is it when they are considered over the hill.
Terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen a 12 year old taken varry serious in his ability to do forms and explain what he is doing but isnot considerd much of a black belt (by many) because his fighting abilities where still that of a child. On the other hand I have seen people in their 50's called over the hill because they no longer competed.
To me the young man seemed to be intelligent and respectful in all he did and I take him seiously and have asked him to sit with me to judge tournaments. He conducts himslef better than some adults I know but at the same time I have watched him haveing fumn as any 12 year old would with his friends. The 50+ year old I look at as haveing knowledge of 30+ years of study (under a arn good instructor) and a great instructor himsle. His lnowledge in his fil is strong and he passes it to those who stay with him. The fact that he dose not compee has little to do with his ability or his knowledge.
So I guess it depends on the individual

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Age to be taken serious? In regards to, having a baby, could happen from 11 years on... At 18, the law takes them serious, even before that...juvenile court. I take every person serious until they prove me wrong and show their age and faults. That goes for TKD and for a punk of 12 on the street. Are you talking about serious as in teacher/instructor? How do you mean serious?

I wouldn't think adults think that anyone under the age of 25 would be "seasoned" as teachers. They might have studied well, been very successful as national competitors but it takes more than that to be a teacher.

The seasoned twenty year old veteran of martial arts, would win my vote, uh initially at least, but I would still have to get to know him/her to keep getting it. TW

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
At what age does a martial Artist start to be taken serious about there abilities and what age is it when they are considered over the hill.
Terry

Really depends on the individual. Our youngest BB got his belt at 14 and deserved every thread of it. He started at 3 1/2 and was respected for his abilities long before he got his BB. We have a couple of preteen kids who are awesome and have a tremendous amount of potential. In addition, the "get" the fact that martial arts is just not about the physical movement.

As for over the hill? Again, I would say it depends on the individual. Our GM is 63 and the last man I would ever want pissed at me. We also have some students much younger whose bodies have said enough is enough.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Over the hill never so long as you can perform your abilities. There is a monk in China that would get up everyday, i dont have his name on me, and practice every single form taught to him and this guy was 85 yrs old.

As far as age, though a martial artist can obviously learn his or her strength, power, limitations, and hopefully fear them if not respect it relatively young, as far as the concepts involved and the philosophy behind the system I would say mid twenties, but as far as for bb reqs. 16-18 would be a good minimum I would say.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

I think that they should be taken seriously at any age - provided that they always work to the best of their CURRENT ability and have good character and integrity.

Although I'm not sure you personally meant it this way, I take umbrage at the suggestion that older Martial Artists can be "over the hill". Remember the old saying: "Young experts are respected, but old masters are venerated"?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

I am of the mindset that you take every martial artist seriously at whatever the age if they truly have spirit in what they are doing. They may be young and their forms not perfect but their heart shines through and I think that deserves our respect and should be taken seriously by those that train him/her and those that train with him/her. A martial artist is considered over the hill in my eyes when he is no longer able to learn from those around him and regards himself above everyone else.

Probably not what you meant, but my .02 cents none the less. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know some folks of fairly high rank that are quite young. The are from legit schools & have worked hard for everything thing they've gotten. I respect what they've accomplshed & may even seek them out on questions about techniques. However, if any of them started to pontificate on how it was in the "good old days" or "we used...." I would look elsewhere for assistance. I would feel the same way if a 60-something venerated GM started discussing his feelings on 50 cent's new CD. I think it all goes to being confident in who you are as an instructor....or a person for that matter.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We allow people to move up from kids classes to the adult class at about 16, depending on their development. I take their effort seriously, and the guts it takes for a 16 yr old kid to get on the floor with grown men, some of them veterans of real wars where they really killed people, and learn to fight with them.

But, I don't take them really seriously as sparring opponents until they can punch me and it hurts. Some of them, that's day 1. but not all.

Latest Discussions