age requirements to start karate?

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a 42 year old female who is interested in starting karate. Any thoughts? Am I too old to start or does age not matter? All replies would be appreciated. Thanks

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Go for it!

You're never too old to begin in the martial arts. I know of one man who started judo after retiring at about 65 who still managed to get a competetive black belt.

C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by rachel

I am a 42 year old female who is interested in starting karate. Any thoughts? Am I too old to start or does age not matter? All replies would be appreciated. Thanks

No age is too old. My instructor in in his fifties and still goes at it and his father nearing 80 is just as healthy if not more so. I think the Martial Arts (although taught for self-defense, and can be quite damaging when used effectivly) is one of the few things that a person can do for thier entire life without major injury as long as you train intelligently.

If you join the MA community good luck in your endeavours.

Dave "C2"

A

Abbax8

In the TKD club where I teach judo , there is an instructor who started TKD in his 50's. He is now 65 and 2nd. degree black belt. Go for it!

Peace
Dennis

W

webmasterc

It was great to see your post. I am a 42 year old man who was wondering the same thing! Your post saved us a new thread!

Best of luck to you.....

S

Shinzu

best of luck! you won't regret it, you are never too old :)

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go for it.

We have a 70 year old in our dojo, working out each tuesday and friday. He's doen it for 3 years now, and still enjoying it.

go for it!

/Yari

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

I've taught people Wing Chun that were starting in their 60's. They had no trouble. The Karate may be different physically and that you should take into account when shopping around for an art. I don't think you'll have any problems at all. 42 is still very young.

I also once met a woman in her 80's that just earned her first degree black belt in Danzan Ryu jujitsu. The MA are for all ages. Have fun.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by rachel

I agree with Aegis.

GO FOR IT!

I have seen a man in his 90's practicing Karate..........so think of it.
You're only half his age. ;)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach a college group and two semi-private groups. With the two non-college groups far and away most of my students are in their 40's; I wouldn't train them for a younger group for anything!

M

MinnieMin

Today is my whole one year in Kenpo (yeah!!!) and I am 48 now. Frankly, I don't really know how far I can get, but I just want to enjoy the fun and the ride since my body still can do most stuff that I want it to do and not worry about it too much.
Rachel, you are much younger than me, don't worry and have fun :)

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started already and just got my yellow belt. I love it! As a matter of fact, I'm on my way out the door for my class now.I'm glad I started. I love it so much. The only thing is the class size is getting too big now. Less attention for us as individuals. Oh well.:shrug:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll find the class size dwindle down from the next promotion to the next. People will drop out like flies eventually.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's so interesting because we can go 3 times a week only and some people show up once a week or less. I don't mind. one time we had a little ice on the roads and my friend and I were the only 2 to show up. It was like getting a private lesson for free and that was right before we tested for yellow.:)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
You'll find the class size dwindle down from the next promotion to the next. People will drop out like flies eventually.

This is so true. When I started out in the MAs some time back there must have been I believe about 10 to 12 of us in our group of newbie white belts. Only me and one another student stuck with it to reach black belt rank...:shrug:
Hopefully those that dropped out picked it up again later. Anyway, now me and my training partner are striving for our 2nd dan BBs.

If you enjoy it I encourage you to stick with it for as long as you can. You're never too old to train in the MAs. :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
This is so true. When I started out in the MAs some time back there must have been I believe about 10 to 12 of us in our group of newbie white belts. Only me and one another student stuck with it to reach black belt rank...:shrug:
Hopefully those that dropped out picked it up again later. Anyway, now me and my training partner are striving for our 2nd dan BBs.

If you enjoy it I encourage you to stick with it for as long as you can. You're never too old to train in the MAs. :asian:

Yeah man, when I started kenpo there were 12 or more from what I remember. Anyway I was the only one from that group to test for black. All the others dropped out. Kind of funny looking back at it. Nowadays most people want something for nothing with as little effort as possible. :rolleyes: By then their weeded out. Personally I'd rather practice with the dedicated ones you know are going to stick around.

Latest Discussions