• 50 - 55

• 55 - 60

• Over 60

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be doing a couple of polls over the next couple of weeks regarding martial artist, their current age, how long training in Kenpo (regardless of which system), and types of injuries.

I will be looking at raw numbers so I appreciate your votes.

** NOTE: This poll will only be available for 45 days.

Thanks,
-Michael

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
34, five years in Kenpo, two broken big toes, Plantar Fasciitis in both feet, typical bumps and bruises.

Edit: I wear mat shoes now, which take care of my feet problems. I generally get a lot more bruising as I get older. Ibuprofen is my friend.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I get older the nagging injuries do seem to hang around longer.:sadsong:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of a kids song...

Head, shoulders, knees and toes...knees and toes...
Head, shoulders, knees and toes...
eyes and ears and mouth and nose...
Head shoulders, knees and toes...

Let's see, starting at the top...
Cuts to forehead, cheek, lips, nose.
Black eyes
Bloody nose (regularly)
Broken nose (multiple times)
Boxer's jaw
Chipped teeth (before the days of mouth guards)
Torn cartlidge and bone chip in neck (from dummying a technique)
Strained shoulder muscles (all of them)
Hyper-extended elbows
Cut knuckles
Tendon damage to right thumb from dummying a knife disarm in 1982
Dislocated fingers (all 8 of them at the second knuckle at one time or another)
Bruised Ribs
Broken vein in crotch where leg meets pelvis (I took a groin kick to the cup and the cup hit the vein at the joint. My leg swelled up and turned blue and I was on crutches for a couple weeks)
Torn knee cartlidges (both knees, several times)
Torn ACL
Lots of shin bruises
Foot bruises
Broken and dislocated all of my toes.

Oh yeah, and athlete's foot!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
37 now. Started American Kenpo at 18 yrs old, stayed off and on with it since then. I had a broken nose from a tournament the following year (19 yrs old). Last year, I had a hairline foot fracture, and badly bruised foot and shins.

- Ceicei

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently 30....will be 31 at the end of the month. Started Kenpo at age 13, have done that ever since plus 2 years solid of stick fighting.....now, still doing Kenpo and a bit of stick fighting.

Most major injury was a torn ACL on my right knee- had to have surgery to repair/reconstruct it. My shins are shot from so many times kicking and catching someone's knee, elbow, etc. Have broken my little toes multiple times, bruises to knuckles hit with sticks, some neck trouble following a knock-out about 12 years ago......still gets stiff sometimes. Sprained ankles while sparring. Scar under chin where a guy caught me with his toenail on a kick, have had hyper-extended elbows a few times and some black eyes.

:asian: :karate:

G

Gotkenpo?

20 years old, started about 8 months ago. no injuries aside from a few bruises.

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please vote, and feel free to share a comment. I plan on doing some data correlation when I get enough info, and will post the results.

Thanks,
-Michael:asian:

T

TerryC

55 years old......27 when I began Kempo in the Philippines. Broke both insteps and big toes multiple times. Torn right ACL and surgery to fix that. Surgery to free an entrapped left ulnar nerve that had been literally driven into my elbow joint. Three broken ribs at one time. The straw that broke the camel's back (literally) was two collapsed vertebre (from undiagnosed osteoposis) while working on ground fighting with a Tang Su Do stylist in 1998. It took two years for that to heal.

Now-a-days no sparring, but lots of daily aches and pains in feet and knees.

Now that I've read my own post it seems maybe I should have been a better fighter!

Still wouldn't trade my years in Kempo for anything!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 29 for now without serious injury. My left shoulder is sore from being thrown on it during a wrestling match many years ago. 5 ribs that are seperated from my sternum from a JJ practice. Lastly my right knee is sore and achey from I don't know what.:shrug:

R

RCastillo

I'm 48, been in the MA for 22 years, 11 of those in Kenpo.

No real injuries, just knees getting worse(football), pains from lifting.

Some minor accidents, 2 knee sprains, one mild concussion, hyperextended elbow, cut above the eye.:(

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kempo since Sept 03' Besides the well earned aches from a good workout, I got a scratch across my face in a tourny, :xtrmshock I was worried it was gona get infected or something :rolleyes:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 yrs old. Have been doing Kenpo for 17yrs. as well as BJJ and Arnis. Injuries have ranged from minor jammed figers/toes, minor bumps/bruises, bloody nose, to the more serious leg injury while grappling.

Mike

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by MJS
30 yrs old. Have been doing Kenpo for 17yrs. as well as BJJ and Arnis. Injuries have ranged from minor jammed figers/toes, minor bumps/bruises, bloody nose, to the more serious leg injury while grappling.

Mike

That'll teach when grappling with your dates! Go with a background check first!;)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
44.. training bout 8 yrs.. Incurred a shattered hand during my first class.. Multiple finger dislocations and breaks, broken toes and jammed digits.
Cellulitis in my calf resulting from an opponent's kick ( that was worse than any broken limb I've ever had~!!) (a week of In hospital IV therapy to fix that~!).

Level 3 torn hamstrings (2x) (at least 6 other times tornlevel 2 ),
Right now I'm contending with a horrendously painful elbow injury that's been with me now for over 3 months..
Many bruises.. scratches (amazing how those little buggers infect overnight~!)
black eyes, soft tissue throat injury from a massively strong football player tossing a 15Lb medicine ball straight at my throat during warmups.. (oops)

Yeah I keep going back for more :)
though it would be probably better for me... had I any medical insurance.

K

KenpoGirl

35 training 3.5 years.

Many many bruises and bumps no complaints for thost, I wall them my war wounds.
injuries to big toes at various times in sparring.
wrist sprains until they got stronger
various hyper extended knees untill I learned to kick better
2 yrs ago a torn ACL, was off a year plus for that one.

since then nothing major {knock on wood}

Dot

kkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. It's funny that I decided to reply to this post. Well here goes. I'm 29 till Aug, doing EPAK for about 4yrs. outside the normal bangs & dings not much else. Maybe if I train alot harder.:D :rofl:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Comparing my injury list to everyone elses I can only conclude...

If I had had safety gear and a little more coordination in my youth, I'd have a lot less aches & pains now!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny thing is.. I had alot more aches and pains in my youth than I do now since I started training.. Least now I know why when I Do have an ache.. what it's from.. back then.. I would ache for no good reason.. :D

Latest Discussions