After all these years I still love Taekwondo!

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been quite critical about the current state of Taekwondo so I realized that many might think that I am against Taekwondo training. Well, quite the opposite is true. I am still very much passionate about Taekwondo. I still love sparring, kicking, and even Poomsae training (even though I might say the opposite things sometimes just to get some people upset)!

Taekwondo is still my number one Martial Arts style. I just believe that we could achieve so much more as a Taekwondo community. Our training methods, competitions, national organizations and leaders should be more aware about current trends and what is going on today! Everything is moving at a rapid pace and I sometimes feel that we are a little behind with everything.

Just take MMA, for example, which is growing and getting all the media attention. We shouldn’t just complain about how they are. But instead, we should look more closely at what they are doing and try to learn something from it.

I am big fan of MMA and UFC and I am following them very closely. I believe that we can learn so much about how they do marketing, arrange their tournaments and how they are getting their target audience involved. Their use of TV, Twitter and other social networks are just amazing.
In the Taekwondo community, we have people who have all the tools and skills but do not use them? There is so much unused power out there and I think we should get our younger generation involved as well.

Yours,

Markku P.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One should be passionate about what they do, whether they can change the things they don't like about it or not. :)

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I admire your spirit. There really is nothing quite like the Martial Arts. It can be difficult, and painful, yet satisfying, and enjoyable at the same time. A bit of a contradiction but life is like that.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think tkd is very marketable in the same way mma is proving to be. Tinker with the sparring rules and you could get a sport thats great to watch athletically and still with full contact and knockouts, 'pro' tkd could potentially be huge. Tkd is a great art, it is a shame though that most of the general public cant see it for what it reall is.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think tkd is very marketable in the same way mma is proving to be. Tinker with the sparring rules and you could get a sport thats great to watch athletically and still with full contact and knockouts, 'pro' tkd could potentially be huge. Tkd is a great art, it is a shame though that most of the general public cant see it for what it reall is.

The main issue, I think, is the lack of any real Representation outside of the Sporting Angle. And Demonstrations tend to look forced.
Having said that, im not sure id like it if TKD were MORE Popular. It might be dragged down that bit further to fit that even more Sporting approach.
On the other hand, I just wish so many people didnt think TKD was the Art of Kicking everything.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the difference in the way TKD is marketed and the UFC is that the latter is owned by one company who can control everything about their advertising, venues, fighters, retailing etc. TKD seems to be in the hands of many organisations who aren't necessarily business minded in the way that a company like UFC is. If TKD could get a retailing arm set up simliar to the UFC company I think then you'd see the same type of success. It would take a huge amount of willingness from a great many like minded people to do this, or perhaps one very, very rich individual!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main issue, I think, is the lack of any real Representation outside of the Sporting Angle. And Demonstrations tend to look forced.
Having said that, im not sure id like it if TKD were MORE Popular. It might be dragged down that bit further to fit that even more Sporting approach.
On the other hand, I just wish so many people didnt think TKD was the Art of Kicking everything.
Just add more punching to the olympic ruleset and you get quite a good spectacle. We spar using wtf rules but with a lot more punching. There are no points and the sole object is to knock your opponent down. It is really good to watch. I sit there at the gradings and love watching the sparring, its very good on the eye as it combines the athletic side of tkd with the high kicks and fast pace with an aggressive edge added by more punching and no points. I really believe that tkd has enormous potential but suffers too much negative press due to the ruleset most people see. Tez makes a good point also regarding the willingness of many like minded people. I think a lot of people would have to swallow their pride in order for a re think on the current ruleset. It just wouldnt happen IMO.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just add more punching to the olympic ruleset and you get quite a good spectacle. We spar using wtf rules but with a lot more punching. There are no points and the sole object is to knock your opponent down. It is really good to watch. I sit there at the gradings and love watching the sparring, its very good on the eye as it combines the athletic side of tkd with the high kicks and fast pace with an aggressive edge added by more punching and no points. I really believe that tkd has enormous potential but suffers too much negative press due to the ruleset most people see. Tez makes a good point also regarding the willingness of many like minded people. I think a lot of people would have to swallow their pride in order for a re think on the current ruleset. It just wouldnt happen IMO.
Knockdown Sparring is always Great, I think. As for Punching - Just make them Score as much as a Mid Section Kick. That way, if you want to score any more than, say, 1 point for a Strike, you need to Kick the Head.
Rather than Punches scoring Less than Kicks, when they Score.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been quite critical about the current state of Taekwondo so I realized that many might think that I am against Taekwondo training. Well, quite the opposite is true. I am still very much passionate about Taekwondo. I still love sparring, kicking, and even Poomsae training (even though I might say the opposite things sometimes just to get some people upset)!

Taekwondo is still my number one Martial Arts style. I just believe that we could achieve so much more as a Taekwondo community. Our training methods, competitions, national organizations and leaders should be more aware about current trends and what is going on today! Everything is moving at a rapid pace and I sometimes feel that we are a little behind with everything.

Just take MMA, for example, which is growing and getting all the media attention. We shouldn’t just complain about how they are. But instead, we should look more closely at what they are doing and try to learn something from it.

I am big fan of MMA and UFC and I am following them very closely. I believe that we can learn so much about how they do marketing, arrange their tournaments and how they are getting their target audience involved. Their use of TV, Twitter and other social networks are just amazing.
In the Taekwondo community, we have people who have all the tools and skills but do not use them? There is so much unused power out there and I think we should get our younger generation involved as well.

Yours,

Markku P.

Markku, as you do I still love TKD, it's still my original and number one martial art, it's not perfect and that's why I am preparing myself in taking some self defense techs and tactics from other martial arts, I am tayloring my perfect suit, that's why I atend to some self defense seminars. In the sport side I think TKD can improve alot too, as somebody wrote here ProTKD was a nice move, here in Mexico we have the Liga Mexicana de TKD (Mexican TKD League) that thanks Grand Master Dai Won Moon is making efforts to make TKD a proefesional sport, last year for example Aaron Cook defeated Steven Lopez and earned nice check and a trophy.

I think the WTF rule set must change a little more.

The TKD as a martial art is a wonderfull think, sadly as we know the sambonims (not all) are teaching only the sport side because it sells, and the profit about olimpic tkd is large.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Markku, as you do I still love TKD, it's still my original and number one martial art, it's not perfect and that's why I am preparing myself in taking some self defense techs and tactics from other martial arts, I am tayloring my perfect suit, that's why I atend to some self defense seminars. In the sport side I think TKD can improve alot too, as somebody wrote here ProTKD was a nice move, here in Mexico we have the Liga Mexicana de TKD (Mexican TKD League) that thanks Grand Master Dai Won Moon is making efforts to make TKD a proefesional sport, last year for example Aaron Cook defeated Steven Lopez and earned nice check and a trophy.

The TKD as a martial art is a wonderfull think, sadly as we know the sambonims (not all) are teaching only the sport side because it sells, and the profit about olimpic tkd is large.

Manny
Its always odd the perception that the sport side of tkd 'sells' and is more marketable. I rarely ever hear anyone not involved in tkd say a positive word about olympic/sport tkd. In fact, Im amazed the number of people who, upon finding out I do tkd, tell me how they would never do tkd because its too 'sporty' with no hand techs and too much flashy kicking, based upon what they've obviously seen on the olympics. From and outsider looking in, it seems sport tkd has done far more damage to the reputation of tkd than good. But still I hear 'sport tkd sells'. It obviously does, as Im no marketing guru, but the general word on the street would suggest otherwise. Does it really sell? I mean if school "A" teaches martial art style tkd, nothing over the top, but tkd geared towards self defence with no sport aspect whatsoever and accross the road school "B" teaches sport/olympic tkd, does school "B" really get more students, and if so why?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its always odd the perception that the sport side of tkd 'sells' and is more marketable. I rarely ever hear anyone not involved in tkd say a positive word about olympic/sport tkd. In fact, Im amazed the number of people who, upon finding out I do tkd, tell me how they would never do tkd because its too 'sporty' with no hand techs and too much flashy kicking, based upon what they've obviously seen on the olympics. From and outsider looking in, it seems sport tkd has done far more damage to the reputation of tkd than good. But still I hear 'sport tkd sells'. It obviously does, as Im no marketing guru, but the general word on the street would suggest otherwise. Does it really sell? I mean if school "A" teaches martial art style tkd, nothing over the top, but tkd geared towards self defence with no sport aspect whatsoever and accross the road school "B" teaches sport/olympic tkd, does school "B" really get more students, and if so why?

Sport TKD/karate is a popular activity in my area although not necessarily the Olympic variety. Point sparring, where you break after a referee calls a point, is something most of the local programs geared towards kids participate in. That and forms competition.

Most of the parents, including my sister, feel the competition aspect can be healthy as long as it is conducted in a positive fashion with rules adopted to ensure safety.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I think rules are good right now and please no more changes! The competition should be more audience friendly, better organized and more training for referees. :)

/Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Manny

I think we have opposite problem here in Sweden & Finland. We are teaching too little "Sport Taekwondo..

Yours,

Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the difference in the way TKD is marketed and the UFC is that the latter is owned by one company who can control everything about their advertising, venues, fighters, retailing etc. TKD seems to be in the hands of many organisations who aren't necessarily business minded in the way that a company like UFC is. If TKD could get a retailing arm set up simliar to the UFC company I think then you'd see the same type of success. It would take a huge amount of willingness from a great many like minded people to do this, or perhaps one very, very rich individual!

Good point! Perhaps WTF has enough power to do some changes or we need more skilled political "Taekwondo people" in charge? ( Dr Kim..I must say he got things done. )

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my city all tkd dojangs are WTF, these dojangs are kidie, where moms got their children to train and also teens, the program is the kikiwon or must be and they do a lot of WTF training, I mean most of the drills are kicking ones and for WTF sparring, yes in the dojangs poomsae is encouraged and a little self defense techs are taught, however most of the training time is spent in WTF kicking drills and poomsae (80%-20% ratio of the training time).

I am not telling the kidie programs is bad at all, but there are very little dojangs with self defense/martial art training for adults. The adults class (men and women not teens) is a mimic of the children class. The class I teach is only two guys and it is self defense/martial art oriented class.

This is my perception on TKD in my city, I could be wrong, but for me an old fa.... jidokwaner training is not as it used to be in the mid 80's.

Manny