Advice to Balanced Training

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never implied that I didn´t know that, only that I consider TKD to have a far more effective use of legs than MT. Maybe not knee strikes though, but definitely kicks. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised. But as I said, I am sorry for the offense. It´s ignorance, not bad intentions.

TKD has great kicks, but many TKD schools don't do a lot of sparring or practice with pads/heavy bags, which limits their effectiveness. My perception is that Muay Thai has less of that phenomenon, at least at this point in time. Maybe when kid-oriented MMA schools are on every street corner, then MT will be the same way. ;)

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study JKD (concepts) and I have learned a bit of many things - WC, MT, Boxing, BJJ/Grappling, Weapons, Silat, Kali, and more. Its a bit overwhelming actually learning bits from different arts, but also fun and helpful. We have many lessons on how to fight against other systems and methods.

Lately I have been focusing a bit more on traditional JKD.

I will admit the grappling parts are lite in JKD. We don't believe in staying on the ground very long.

I actually skipped your comment and didn't realise what you said about JKD. Good information actually. That's exactly what I want! I'll look into it ASAP. What do you mean by concepts?

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually skipped your comment and didn't realise what you said about JKD. Good information actually. That's exactly what I want! I'll look into it ASAP. What do you mean by concepts?

There are two branches of JKD - the original system as Bruce Lee taught it at the time of his death. JKD was kind of a Mixed Martial Arts concept. Then there is JKD concepts - where one of his main students, Guru Dan Inosanto continued to take what he believed were the concepts Bruce Lee embodied (studying other martial arts to see what worked) continuing to expand it with other martial arts primarily Filipino and Indonesian Martial arts (Kali), Some of Guru Dan's lineage schools keep the Kali and JKD as separate classes. I have recently moved from a blended JKD/Kali class to what would be considered more traditional JKD (although still not original JKD). Its a bit complicated but I like that I have gotten to practice what I would consider mixed martial arts for the street.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are two branches of JKD - the original system as Bruce Lee taught it at the time of his death. JKD was kind of a Mixed Martial Arts concept. Then there is JKD concepts - where one of his main students, Guru Dan Inosanto continued to take what he believed were the concepts Bruce Lee embodied (studying other martial arts to see what worked) continuing to expand it with other martial arts primarily Filipino and Indonesian Martial arts (Kali), Some of Guru Dan's lineage schools keep the Kali and JKD as separate classes. I have recently moved from a blended JKD/Kali class to what would be considered more traditional JKD (although still not original JKD). Its a bit complicated but I like that I have gotten to practice what I would consider mixed martial arts for the street.

Yes that definitely interests me. The reason I dislike MMA, is because competitive fights are always in the ground. I can't stand those kinds of fights. Seems that JKD is the thing for me, although it seems to have a steep learning curve, and hard to find good schools, if any at all. I'll guess I'll have to look around a bit.