Advice please for friend with disability

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone hope u r all doing well. I myself am extremely interested in martial Arts and self defense in general but this post is on behalf of a friend. Please go easy on me for any issues with the post as it is my first post on here hopefully of many.
My friend has a disability and poor vision. He has been looking into various martial arts and also Wing Chung. I was wondering if anyone on here who has done some Wing Chung or indeed experienced in it to offer some advice for us please? He is not sure how practical it will be for him but he is interested due to its focus on working with energy. cheers and thanks in advance.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unlike most striking arts, Wing Chun could be a very good choice for a visually disabled person because of the emphasis on close range, tactile training. "Feel" is very important. Grappling arts are another good choice. The rest depends upon finding the right coach and school. I wish your friend good luck in his martial arts journey.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with geezer. We train people with blindfolds, because we want to develop flow from feel, rather than sight. It could be a good system for him or her.

BJJ may also have some similar benefits for similar reasons, but I'm no expert.

OP
B

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
Apart from poor vision, does your friend have an additional impairment that you feel would impede his ability to learn a martial art?
thank you for your responses all most useful. In terms of my friend having other impairments apart from poor vision he doesn't have any other disabilities and enjoys playing adaptive sports and using the gym. This feedback and suggestions will hopefully help him decide so thank you once again and keep it coming please. cheers.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I should throw Judo out as an idea too. You start with contact and it's primarily tactile, I believe, so vision is much less important than it would be in some type of boxy-system.

Nice of you to help your friend.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in the world, but Seido Juku in NYC has a dedicated program for the blind.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My JKD instructor was legally blind, didn't much slow him down any. He was a purple belt in BJJ at the time as well.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grappling arts are generally ideal for the vision impaired. If he really wants a striking art, then Wing Chun could be a good choice. WC tends to operate in close range where limited vision is less of a problem and also builds good touch sensitivity, which can give you good awareness of an opponent without relying on the eyes.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend BJJ. I train with a legally blind black belt who competes regularly in the able bodied adult division. I know another purple belt who is a double amputee.

OP
B

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
I have two students in Wing Chun who are totally blind. One from an accident at the age of 28 and the other who was born blind. Takes a bit more time, effort, and patience but both are doing quite well. Both are also in our BJJ class and again doing very well.
Hi Danny T that's so inspiring to hear. It shows what is possible for anyone regardless of any disability. Would it be at all possible for you to put us in contact with the two blind Wing Chun students? as if it was possible this would provide realistic role model for him and examples of what can be achieved. I think the role model will be vital for anyone in this situation.

OP
B

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in the world, but Seido Juku in NYC has a dedicated program for the blind.
that sounds great. Do you know what the programme for the blind involves please? and we are in the UK.

OP
B

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
I know a guy who's a black belt in judo. Guy walks with a cane. Completely blind.

I know a guy who's a black belt in judo. Guy walks with a cane. Completely blind.
Hi Steve thank you so much for your advice and that of everyone else contributing here most useful for me to go back to my friend with. Steve your example of the guy in judo emphasises how effective it can be. Where are you based? we are in the UK. Would it at all be possible to put us in touch with the guy you know please? as a role model and guide perhaps. cheers.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely would recommend Wing Chun. Not only does it focus on sensitivity, but it is also close range.

I am practically blind without my glasses. (If I hold a book out at arm's length without them on, I can't read anything.) In a fight, one of the first things to go usually are the glasses...as well as possibly teeth. Long story short, bad vision is one of many reasons why I picked Wing Chun as my style of choice.