Advantages of Kenpo.......

J

jeffkyle

Combination of circular along with linear motion. Constantly exploring every possibility of motion humanly possilbe!

K

Kroy

What do I love about Kenpo? Well, The fact that I can still perform the techniques when I turn Seventy Years old, thats why. No high flying acrobatic stuff. Just straight to the point self Defence. I'm 37 now and I want to keep traing until I'm an old fart.:D

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Kroy
What do I love about Kenpo? Well, The fact that I can still perform the techniques when I turn Seventy Years old, thats why. No high flying acrobatic stuff. Just straight to the point self Defence. I'm 37 now and I want to keep traing until I'm an old fart.:D

What % of the techniques do you think you will be able to perform at 70, and where? In the studio vs. the street.

I find that the techniques are harder on the joints in Kenpo than other arts. Of course there are worse....

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
I find that the techniques are harder on the joints in Kenpo than other arts. Of course there are worse....

Not harder on the joints than any other, less than most Japanese, Okinawan, or Korean Arts.

Yes, try Wu Shu at 70 !!! :rofl:

:asian:

K

Kroy

What % of the techniques do you think you will be able to perform at 70, and where? In the studio vs. the street.

What other arts have you studied and to what extent?:asian:

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Kroy
What other arts have you studied and to what extent?:asian:

Well, my Kenpo smans a mere 10 years which is more than the others but I have studied Shinobi Jutsu, Aikido and Aiki Jujutsu.

I think arts that rely more on power will be less effective for you in your older age.

I also think that the same art practiced/approached differently can be more/less strenuous on your body while training in your younger years, allowing you to practice longer.

I'm sure people who love their style will stick with it as long as they can. I just hate hearing stories about how people had to drop off because their body couldn't take it any more. (Judo)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
What are your thoughts or experiences ......

I have a great story for you but it can't be put down in text form. It's definately a phone conversation. :D Hopefully soon.:asian:

K

Kroy

I also think that the same art practiced/approached differently can be more/less strenuous on your body while training in your younger years, allowing you to practice longer.

I'm sure people who love their style will stick with it as long as they can. I just hate hearing stories about how people had to drop off because their body couldn't take it any more. (Judo)

I agree, your style has to change along with you. I just feel that Kenpo opens up more oppotunities for this.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that Kenpo is pretty hard on the knees...but it is easier on all the rest of the joints than Aiki Jujistu (which I trained in under Duke Moore) and Aikido (which I experienced briefly enough to know that it hurts more to practice it than to fight against it in the "street").

One of my favorite things about Kenpo is FAST HANDS !!!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hey Mike
I find Kenpo MUCH easier on the joints than the GoJu and TKD and Jujutsu that I did before.
But that's my experience...
Your Bro.
John

R

rmcrobertson

I agree. I've got incipient arthritis in both knees, specially the left--heredity, and running down hills in Providence, RI--and since kenpo, the aches I used to get in the movies and on long car trips have pretty much evaporated.

And, my stretch has considerably imporved...

From what I've seen, kenpo has got to be easier on the body than TKD. Not to meantion the head...

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Brother John
Hey Mike
I find Kenpo MUCH easier on the joints than the GoJu and TKD and Jujutsu that I did before.
But that's my experience...
Your Bro.
John

Yes, I'd say the traditional hard styles are worse on the body, but arts like Aikido and Tai Chi are softer.

Again, I think it depends on the school. I would have thought the stretching in a TKD school would be beneficial. I have a friend who takes TKD and from what I've seen there was little contact unless sparring.

I found that Kenpo was more strenuous on the knees and hips. Probably not as bad as those low Goju stances tho :p

I'm a happy Aiki practitioner now. The wrists take most of the twisting and once you have your breakfalls down the throws aren't as bad as they look. I was initally worried that the hips would take a beating but so far so good...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say the traditional hard styles are worse on the body, but arts like Aikido and Tai Chi are softer.

Again, I think it depends on the school. I would have thought the stretching in a TKD school would be beneficial. I have a friend who takes TKD and from what I've seen there was little contact unless sparring.

I found that Kenpo was more strenuous on the knees and hips. Probably not as bad as those low Goju stances tho :p

I'm a happy Aiki practitioner now. The wrists take most of the twisting and once you have your breakfalls down the throws aren't as bad as they look. I was initally worried that the hips would take a beating but so far so good...

Sounds great. I'm glad you are enjoying your art, I think it's a very interesting system!
Your Brother
John