Additional patterns in Taekwondo

escuelafraternidad

White Belt
Reaction score
I have seen in Global Taekwondo Federation founded by Park Jung Tae, they have some additional patterns.
Some of them are very beautiful and difficult to master.
Why they add patterns to the 24 perfect schema of General Choi? Is it absolutely necessary?
Not all the techniques of General Choii are registered in the Taekwondo patterns. What is the reasonableness of stopping the growth of the art? Or should we freeze it in the 24 existing patterns of its creator?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen in Global Taekwondo Federation founded by Park Jung Tae, they have some additional patterns.

Yup. Lots of people add stuff to the curriculum.

Some of them are very beautiful and difficult to master.

Good. That is as it should be.

Why they add patterns to the 24 perfect schema of General Choi?

Because the GM PARK, Jung Tae wanted to differentiate the GTF from the ITF. And/or thought this would help fix what he perceived as weaknesses in the Chang Hon forms.

Is it absolutely necessary?

No. Forms are not absolutely necessary at all. I could teach you all the techniques in TKD without any forms. But forms are useful, especially when teaching groups.

Not all the techniques of General Choii are registered in the Taekwondo patterns. What is the reasonableness of stopping the growth of the art?

It would be impossible to include every technique in the forms.
And unnecessary. If I teach you to do a middle section block moving from outside to inside, I bet you can figure out how to do the same block as a high section block.

Or should we freeze it in the 24 existing patterns of its creator?

General Choi is ONE of the founders of TKD. He did not create it himself. He didn't even create the Chang Hon forms by himself.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
General Choi is ONE of the founders of TKD. He did not create it himself. He didn't even create the Chang Hon forms by himself.

It's all in the semantics. One could say Ray Kroc was not the "Founder" of McDonalds but it would not be where it is without the him. When it comes to the forms, he had others create patterns, but he was the final word on what they included and how they were done. Had he not been the founder, the forms would never have been created for the system. Perhaps he was more like the "father" since we all have more than one parent:) Then again poster said "Creator" not "Founder" and then it would have to be Taekwon-Do, not Taekwondo.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all in the semantics. One could say Ray Kroc was not the "Founder" of McDonalds but it would not be where it is without the him. When it comes to the forms, he had others create patterns, but he was the final word on what they included and how they were done. Had he not been the founder, the forms would never have been created for the system. Perhaps he was more like the "father" since we all have more than one parent:) Then again poster said "Creator" not "Founder" and then it would have to be Taekwon-Do, not Taekwondo.

Meh. "Creator" implies a solo effort. He could accurately be described as the head of the committee or group that created the Chang Hon forms and established the standards of ITF Taekwon-Do.
I realize it is an article of faith in the ITF to consider him the founder, but realistically he was one of a number involved, even if the most influential and even if he had the final vote.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And unnecessary. If I teach you to do a middle section block moving from outside to inside, I bet you can figure out how to do the same block as a high section block.

Keep in mind that things that are obvious to you, may not be obvious to everyone else.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that things that are obvious to you, may not be obvious to everyone else.

After 50 years of this (about 30 of that time as an instructor), I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you're going to have a hard time finding very many people who can't figure out how to convert a mid section cross-body block to high section. I've always operated under the assumption that the people I've trained and trained with occupied the usual bell curve distribution for intelligence and innate ability. I suppose it's possible that they were all geniuses with huge levels of natural talent, but it seems unlikely...

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After 50 years of this (about 30 of that time as an instructor), I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you're going to have a hard time finding very many people who can't figure out how to convert a mid section cross-body block to high section. I've always operated under the assumption that the people I've trained and trained with occupied the usual bell curve distribution for intelligence and innate ability. I suppose it's possible that they were all geniuses with huge levels of natural talent, but it seems unlikely...

Well after 6 years of teaching I've met plenty that need guidance on seemingly simple things at some point. Especially with kids.

D

Deleted member 39746

Dont ITF and WTF have slightly different patterns in them anyway? doesn't WTF like have a few ITF doesn't in them and vice versa?

I recall something like that when looking through the patterns and making sure a book had all of them in. that or they just do them different or divide some up. (they do that too)

edit: yes i know GTF was cited, i meant the two main groups do it differently as well. just to clear that up if anything came about. plus GTF to my knowledge mainly follows the way ITF does it.

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are some form/patterns that my have same name but the chambers are different and some of the movements are a little different. so it was a little confusing when I started Yom Chi TKD their patterns are the same as the ITF. My first TKD school back in the 90's was a mixture of Moo duk kwan and Kukkiwon.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont ITF and WTF have slightly different patterns in them anyway? doesn't WTF like have a few ITF doesn't in them and vice versa?

I recall something like that when looking through the patterns and making sure a book had all of them in. that or they just do them different or divide some up. (they do that too)

edit: yes i know GTF was cited, i meant the two main groups do it differently as well. just to clear that up if anything came about. plus GTF to my knowledge mainly follows the way ITF does it.

The kkw (what you call wtf) poomsae and the ITF tul are completely different as far as I know.

D

Deleted member 39746

The kkw (what you call wtf) poomsae and the ITF tul are completely different as far as I know.

I didn't know how different they were but cheers for the clarification.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't know how different they were but cheers for the clarification.

If you know one set of forms, you can very easily look up the other forms and see how they differ from what you know.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you know one set of forms, you can very easily look up the other forms and see how they differ from what you know.

That would require knowing A set of them though...

Latest Discussions