Add-on TKD Hoshinsul and Hapkido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just gave an answer that you didn't like - It was still "on point". I was addressing the name of the thread - "Add-on TKD Hoshinsul and Hapkido"

I hold the opinion that it makes for craptastic MAs and is a method of fraud and devalues MAs as a whole. I am not comfortable contributing to the deliberate defrauding of MA students. It is a disingenuous business practice and disingenuous practice of MAs. To say nothing against it would have been contributing to it.
Sir,

This is a sweeping generalization. Not to mention that it assumes an awful lot. Assuming that an individual is somehow defrauding his or her students or being otherwise dishonest simply because they add techniques from outside of their system into their curriculum is much further than one should go without knowing the individual in question.

In the past many masters went to other masters to pick up techniques outside of their given system and then integrated them into their own system without learning the entire system from which those techniques came. A good number of systems that we call "traditional" now began this way. Because they have proven to be effective systems over time, how they acquired the techniques in the first place is not questioned.

Consider hapkido. Think about how Choi Yong Sul would be viewed today if he tried to found hapkido with the same story about his background that he gave back in the forties. He would be accused of rank falsification (nobody can verify that he studied under Takeda) and branded a fraud. Something for a hapkido practitioner to consider before accusing someone in another system of somehow defrauding his students and creating craptastic MA simply because are looking to add some grapples to a striking art.

Your major protestation seems to center around the video/online backed up by seminars method of crosstraining. Had he asked about going to a hapkido school to crosstrain, I doubt that this thread would have taken the direction that it has. There are certainly a good number of potential pitfalls in this approach, all of which have been enumerated on both this thread and on others.

Daniel

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Danny,

What you fail to appreciate is the question (the initial post) , in it's asking is offensive to me. Dancing seems to understand that an art needs to be studied in whole to appreciate the concepts that make it work when I it comes to an art that he has studied (aikido- http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1257829&postcount=9) but seems to think that studying Hapkido piecemeal is ok. It devalues Hapkido and I take it as bashing my art. So asking how to do it offends me - It is a trolling question.

If he had asked a recommendation for a Hapkido teacher in his area, I wouldn't have been offended in the least.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread locked pending staff review.

jks9199
Sr. Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions