Active Oh Do Kwan apart from ITF?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by IcemanSK, Mar 3, 2011.

1. IcemanSK

IcemanSK El Conquistador nim!

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    We know the Oh Do Kwan was one of the kwans that merged with the Kukkiwon with the other 8 original kwans. Did these folks split from General Choi's ITF, or did something else happen? Who heads up the ODK that connected to the KKW now? What else is important to know about them?

2. FieldDiscipline

FieldDiscipline 2nd Black Belt

Can't help with an answer I'm afraid, but a great question.

Perhaps the Oh Do Kwan 'remained behind' in the ROK army when Gen. Choi left, and it just carried on without him in the military?

Interested to learn the answer to that one.

3. puunui

puunui Senior Master

I was hoping an ITF member would answer, but I guess not.

The Oh Do Kwan was never a part of the ITF, although many believe that the ITF and Oh Do Kwan were the same thing. They were not. When the ITF was formed in 1966, the Oh Do Kwan Jang was GM HYUN Jong Myung. He was very close to Chung Do Kwan Jang UHM Woon Kyu so GM Hyun kept the Oh Do Kwan with the KTA group, as opposed to the ITF. GM Hyun was also a member of the KTA ad hoc committee that created the Palgwae and Yudanja poomsae from 1967-68, which was important because then the KTA could honestly say that the Chang Hon forms that the Oh Do Kwan was using influenced and were incorporated into the new KTA forms.

Although preferring to stay in the background, GM HYUN Jong Myung was a very influential Taekwondoin. He was the one who worked out/taught GM HWANG Kee the Chung Do Kwan curriculum when both worked at Seoul Station, he was present during the Taekwondo Naming Committee meeting, served as Oh Do Kwan Jang, and was a member of the KTA ad hoc committee that created the new forms. He is also a Kukkiwon 9th Dan.

I don't know who is the Oh Do Kwan Jang at the moment, but I do believe it is still active and they have an office in Seoul, Korea.

4. Spookey

Spookey Purple Belt

Dear All,

I am honored to say answer this question. As with the other kwans they joined to become "Kukkiwon". However, each of them maintain a certain level of autonomy. They each continue to honor their own kwans lineage while giving adherence (loosely) to the standards of Kukkiwon.

The current President of Daehan Taekwondo Ohdokwan is Han Myung Hak, Chong Kwan Jang-Nim, and as earlier stated the have offices in Seoul, and a dojang in Daegu. There are also schools internationally that still answer and honor the rule of Korea Taekwondo Ohdokwan!

TAE-KWON
    Spooks

5. Traditionalitf

Traditionalitf White Belt

This is in part right. However the OH Do Kwan stopped being a martial arts school in1972 and became a social group after that year. All Taekwon-Do in Korea is governed through the Kukkiwon and the Korean Taekwon-Do Association. If you know the story told by General Choi, and I do because he told me, the Oh Do Kwan and the ITF are very different. It is aquite complex story.

6. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Master of Arts

Social groups that still arrange training, competitions, dan promotion tests and dan certification. I wonder how you see that as different from a martial arts school?

They are, but it doesn't mean the kwans aren't active any more.

This is true, ITF came from Ohdokwan, but when Gen Choi left Ohdokwan remained in South Korea and supports Kukkiwon (being a signatory to the Kwan Unification Proclamation). They are definitely different. I have a very good friend in South Korea that is Ohdokwan and he's one of the new Kukkiwon poomsae demonstrators.

7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    While the vast majority of Tae Kwon Do in SOUTH Korea (the situation is quite different in North Korea) is governed by the KKW, it is incorrect to claim they govern all of TKD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Master of Arts

Very true, I'd missed mentioning that because I was so focused on the kwans-perspective.

The homepage for ITF South Korea is http://itfkorea.com (although it always appears knackered for me).

The Facebook page is ITF-Korea - #INO462 국제태권도연맹 대한민국협회 and if you can speak Korean, the owner/president is quite friendly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TrueJim

TrueJim 3rd Black Belt

There's no jump rope?

KIDDING! :D

• Funny Funny x 1