Acrobatic martial trickery?

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Has anyone heard of Martial tricks? I ran into a demo team that was explaining it to me. You can check out some of the members here and whats its about. I suppose it has nothing to do with self-defense, but more along the lines of mastering the acrobatic aspect of the martial art. I was informed that there's a whole community based around this. It ranges from all martial arts, but pre-dominately Taekwondists seem to be the source.

OP
Q

Quick Sand

Yeah, I love that website. I've downloaded several of their samplers.

I was going to start a thread to see if anyone here taught it as a fun aside to go with regular training. I'd love to learn some of it just for fun.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's really important to learn all the actual SD techs and stuff but I also think some of this stuff thrown in once in a while could be fun too. :)

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a pretty serious traditional martial artist, but I love training martial arts tricks and incorporating gymnastics into my martial arts. I've been doing that for a few years now and it's great fun.

I try to steal any cool move I see on http://www.bilang.com/

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

www.neokarate.com is another good site. I think martal art trickery is often done just for the hell of it. The exceptions are in patterns and forms it can look quite beautiful and score higher marks. In sparring, its damn cocky and I think either intimidates the opponent or pisses him off so much he makes a mistake. But in a real fight, there isn't even a debate there unless your skills are that of Neo.

d

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the_kicking_fiend. I love the trick kicks. But I know they have no SD value. But what the ****. I try them for the hell of it. It's fun and it puts some variaty into your training. I learn them just to say, "I can do that. Wanna see?" :D hehehehehe

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by Zepp
Anything that improves your agility and/or coordination certainly won't hurt you in a SD situation.

Neat site.

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted this thread!! I've been practicing them for sometime now, although I was a bit reluctant to post it... in fear of the almighty "That's not martial Arts" respond I tend to get from the masses... but I think its fun!

Back in my TKD demo days, we used to practice these tricks exclusively, but now I haven't been so lucky.

Here is another site that goes into detail on performing the tricks. You can click the vids and see how they are performed. Very helpful Here

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

So has anyone had any luck learing some of these moves?

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Has anyone watched any videos from the Korean Tigers?? They are a perfect example of this.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My two sons are on their Demo teams and they are currently learning how to do these. They're just practicing and once the entire team learns how to do enough tricks and weapons and other neat stuff, they will probably do a bit of travelling.

It will take a while though, for the teams to become adept.

- Ceicei

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Speaking of Martial Arts Trickz...has anybody every hear of Team Ryouko?...they are a VERY good gymnastics/martial arts team...you can check them out here:

http://www.teamryouko.com/

Nice videos and such too...

Latest Discussions